Sound quality this good at such a low price should be illegal!
Jun 7, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #136 of 160
I've had these for a few weeks now, both white and black, and these things are just "eargasmic" so much so that these are now my favourite 'phones. I just don't want to take them off my head.... the size, the weight, the feel on the head, the fantastic SQ......... they're just absolutely super irrespective of cost. Don't just assume these are some cheap and cheerful throwaway 'phones purely for portable use.... feed these puppies with an amp and you've got one seriously good pair of home headphones which are well up there with the more expensive 'phones in the Sennheiser range (to be honest I prefer them over the HD-600 finding them a lot airier with bags more three dimensionality) every decade sees a classic pair of headphones being born and, in my opinion, the PX-100 is the classic of this decade. I'm over the moon with them!

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #137 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
I'm wondering if the PX200 are inferior to PX100s mentioned on this thread? My dad uses them and I have it right here hooked up to my ipod and supermacro. But the sound is pretty cheap to say the least, not much an improvement from ibuds... This thing is used daily for a few months now, so it must be burned in too.

yes thats true, i had px200, and just bought px100, they sound totally different, px100 far better overall, but px200 dont sound cheap to me, they r average sound.

anyway u should try px100, they r really fun to listen
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #138 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin
I was suprised to see how good the PX100 sound when plugged in to an amplifier. Some other cheap phones do not survive the test (i.e. Koss Porta Pro, AKG K 26 P...)

Depends on source and amp. It's possible to get no synergy when hooking up an amp. I'm soon to find out how the Porta Pro sounds when placing the amp in the middle of the chain. But still, I'm impressed by the transparent and dynamic sound. Even more so compared to my Senn 435 without amping.

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #139 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I've had these for a few weeks now, both white and black, and these things are just "eargasmic" so much so that these are now my favourite 'phones. I just don't want to take them off my head.... the size, the weight, the feel on the head, the fantastic SQ......... they're just absolutely super irrespective of cost. Don't just assume these are some cheap and cheerful throwaway 'phones purely for portable use.... feed these puppies with an amp and you've got one seriously good pair of home headphones which are well up there with the more expensive 'phones in the Sennheiser range (to be honest I prefer them over the HD-600 finding them a lot airier with bags more three dimensionality) every decade sees a classic pair of headphones being born and, in my opinion, the PX-100 is the classic of this decade. I'm over the moon with them!

Good for you...

haven't read the rest of the thread, but I bought a pair when they first came out (couple yrs ago?) after reading the positive review on What Hi-Fi magazine. I never liked them from day one untill I gave it away to my young nephew few month later. He seems to like them over the cheap stock buds, but he also doesn't seem to find much difference with other headphones. I could never enjoy any music with the PX100, much too slow; soo sloow. the only music I'd enjoy was some fast AC/DC tracks. and I find the bass bloated and boomy. if this is Sennheiser sound signature I guess I'm not a fan.
I liked them for watching late movies though, much enjoyed, but for music... no thanks. I only used them with a Sony pcdp, perhaps out of a good amp is a different story.

bottom line for me is PX100 = sucks

sorry to pop the hype bubble

Jun 13, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #141 of 160
I picked up a pair of these for the heck of it today when I saw them in Circuit City, so I'd have phones to wear around my wife that didn't look so expensive
evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, although I've heard them before, I still cannot believe how good these $60 dollar headphones sound. They sound "just ok" out of a DAP, but hooked up to my MicroStack, they sound freaking unbelievable for the money. They like gain--more than the K701's need for sure. They don't present the kind of detail that my more expensive phones do, but they definitely have punch, with no distortion whatsoever with a clean source.

Very cool little headphones.

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #142 of 160
One more happy customer here. I found the highs too harsh at first, but eq'ing the highs down solved that. I recently set my eq to flat to see if this was still the case, and lo and behold they don't sound harsh anymore. Maybe they burned in, maybe my ears changed, who knows.

They're the perfect headphone for someone that doesn't have/want an amazing source and amp.

P.S. The koss ksc-35 sucks :p

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #143 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
I personally find the PX100 case a pain in the a**, but the headphones themselves are a great value. The design is very portable, while maintaining a comfort level that a certain ultra-hyped clip-on doesn't come close to matching.

i got my sportapro for 13.99 when they were on sale at J&R a while back. So how about a px100 vs sportapro.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #144 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE
One more happy customer here. I found the highs too harsh at first, but eq'ing the highs down solved that. I recently set my eq to flat to see if this was still the case, and lo and behold they don't sound harsh anymore. Maybe they burned in, maybe my ears changed, who knows.

Yes they burned in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #145 of 160
after reading about all those rave reviews of you guys (and dolls),I bought a pair of Senn px100's for my wife to use with her minidisc. She needed open, portable cans. My wife has 'strange' ears (she can't keep ear buds in, most superaural cans hurt because they touch her outer ears), so we went to a shop and fitted those px100, which by the way fit her quite nicely.
Also to me these cans are as comfortable as these can get. But man, to my ears they have a surplus of bass. Some music is really impossible to listen to.
So please, if anyone is thinking of buying these otherwise nice well built cans, listen to them first.
BTW, I'm using DT880, DT831 Beyers and while in bed I use px200.

Jun 18, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #146 of 160
You got it spot on cmirza, that's the newer black PX100 box! Anyways, I'm glad to see lots of fellow fans of the PX100 here. And to those bashing it without substantial BACKABLE claims, please don't. It's ok to say you prefer one over the other, but to say it sucks? Shame..

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #147 of 160
Has anyone who owned the older black px100 bought and compared the 'newer' model. I have seen them on the shelf for £30 and I might pick one up if I get some positive responses. Maybe I should get them anyway as I could leave a pair at work

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #148 of 160
The PX100 are probably the best thing you can get if you need cheaper headphones easy to pack and easy to drive but don't need isolation. Sadly that limits their use quite a lot.

On the other hand, as "first audiophile headphones" or as gift, they're damn near perfect.

But they can't compete even with the Grado SR60 IMO.

Jul 20, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #149 of 160
I'd been thinking the girl & I each needed a nice light pair of headphones for the summer, and I'd been getting tired of the ksc75 clip-on/clip-off/clip-on/clip-off effect at work, so this thread prompted me to buy 2 pairs of white px100.

I could not be happier with these wonderful, warm, rich, smooth, little gems. They sound great all the way across the spectrum, and never produce any of the ear-piercing shrillness that my makes my sensitive ears cringe in anticipation of a symbol-crash. Yet, all of the frequencies appear to be present in full form, they're just... easy. So nice.

The sound they produce has a peculiar quality I find, of being so clear that I can hear the details of the music even--on days too hot to think about my k81djs--on the train or walking through the city.

Thanks for the great recommendation, everyone. These are the relaxed-man's sr60
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #150 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
But they can't compete even with the Grado SR60 IMO.

I like them better than my SR60. Perhaps it is because I am a HD580/600/650 man. The PX100s and the SR60s each have their failings but the PX100 are so much lighter and win every time on the go (and the 650's at home, so my SR60s hardly ever get used).

I should add that the comparison is different in the UK as PX100's can be found for £30 or less, whilst the SR60's sell for £80 here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back