Sound quality this good at such a low price should be illegal!
May 26, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #107 of 160
My "white" PX-100 arrived today from Nusystems (must give these guys a mention their shipping is supersonic fast and service superb) I haven't done any "critical" listening as yet but so far they sound much the same as the (older) grey / black ones to my ears. Obviously they'll need to be thrashed in in a warm cupboard overnight before I do the comparison but I will be back with my findings.

The white isn't as gay as I thought it would have looked btw, pretty nifty looking and comfy just like their grey / black brothers. Pics to follow.

May 26, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #108 of 160
Who was it who said the white ones with latest drivers sound better? So far they sound pretty thin compared to the older grey / black ones maybe just require a good THRASHING to bed them in a bit.

Off to THRASH them.

May 26, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #109 of 160
Based on this thread, I recommended these to a friend at work who just got them today. They are the "new" ones. We tested them out on my MicroStack.

I can't believe how good these phones sound for the money; they are an unbeatable value, if you can keep from breaking them.

They do appear a bit fragile. But at this price, who cares? They are practically disposable.

May 26, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #110 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan

They do appear a bit fragile.

What do you guys do with your 'phones..... sit on them? kick them around like footballs? There's no reason why these 'phones shouldn't last years and years if they're looked after properly. If they're abused then, yes, they could break but if looked after you've got no worries at all IMO.

May 27, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #111 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
What do you guys do with your 'phones..... sit on them? kick them around like footballs? There's no reason why these 'phones shouldn't last years and years if they're looked after properly. If they're abused then, yes, they could break but if looked after you've got no worries at all IMO.

Agreed. My PX-100's have been going strong for over 2 years, and other than the expected pad wear and case scratches, they are as new. Short of sitting on them, they should not be all that fragile.

A_Sr.

May 27, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #112 of 160
I'm wondering if the PX200 are inferior to PX100s mentioned on this thread? My dad uses them and I have it right here hooked up to my ipod and supermacro. But the sound is pretty cheap to say the least, not much an improvement from ibuds... This thing is used daily for a few months now, so it must be burned in too.

May 27, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #113 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
I'm wondering if the PX200 are inferior to PX100s mentioned on this thread? My dad uses them and I have it right here hooked up to my ipod and supermacro. But the sound is pretty cheap to say the least, not much an improvement from ibuds... This thing is used daily for a few months now, so it must be burned in too.

When I was looking to buy, I researched the PX200 as well as the PX100. What most people said (And I believe HeadRoom states this too) is that it's harder to get a proper seat on the ears with the PX200 than the 100's, and therefore they can sound thin and bass light.

I looked at HeadRoom and here is what they say:

"getting the ear cup to seal against variously bumpy surface of all ears well when it’s significantly smaller than your ear is pretty hit and miss. Many people never get a good seal and find the bass sorely lacking; many people can achieve a seal but find it doesn’t stay sealed with ordinary head movement when out and about."

A_Sr.

May 27, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #114 of 160
Damn Head-Fi, I keep seeing this thread every few days and it keeps me wondering about picking up a PX100. I love my Grados so I bought some PortaPros for portable use. I also love my Senns, so I'm thinking 'why not get a PX100 for portable use too?'.

Ugh, now to find the cheapest retailer out there...

May 28, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #118 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza
For those still curious what the new PX100 box looks like:

(Courtsey of TigerDirect)

I've got two boxes now..... one for the grey / black and one for the white (will upload pictures later this afternoon) and neither of them look like that box. Where, exactly, does it state that Sennheiser have modified the PX-100? I can't find anything.

To be honest, so far, both the white and "older" grey / black sound pretty much the same. The one thing I have noticed is they both totally lose the plot @ high volume levels has anybody else noticed this? When I say lose the plot I mean they start thickening up and sound "gargly". They sound excellent at low to medium volco settings but once you crank the X-CAN V3 up to 34 (or so) they just break up and lose the plot completely. Maybe they need a good thrashing just to bed them in and this will change with use or maybe I'm expecting miracles from these super little 'phones?

Giving both pairs a good thrashing out of two modified X-CAN V3's at the moment (both @ position 34 on the volco) they're in a very warm cupboard (above the water boiler) so this should aid the bed in procedure nicely.. will report back on the difference (if any) between the two once their drivers have had a GOOD workout.

May 28, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #120 of 160
Left = White PX-100 Right = Grey / Black PX-100

DSCF4788.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back