Sound quality this good at such a low price should be illegal!
May 15, 2006 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 160

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Sennheiser PX-100. Absolutely incredible little headphones for under thirty quid!

Comfortable and portable with a very nifty folding design and a snap shut case.

The sound quality of these little beauties is nothing short of "superb", oodles of bass and a wonderfully 3 dimensional soundstage, these are the best small Sennheisers I have heard for quite some time. Extended bass, natural vocals and able to handle transients with attack and control.

Ever so slightly warm and euphonic but I like this and it "adds" a touch of soul when listening through the ipod. Short and sweet, these are bloody fantastic 'phones and give Sennheiser's bigger brothers a damed good run for their money.

Under £30 ?? It should be illegal to sell 'phones that sound this good for that kind of money!

May 15, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 160
Try KSC75s.
tongue.gif

$9.99 USD!

May 15, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 160
Some people think PX100 is totally amazing for its price, like me.
But others don't think so.
Are those KSC-75 still $10 at Radioshack?

May 15, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 160
Sorry, no...sale ended 5/13/06.

May 15, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 160
PX100 is simply amazing. The Bass, while sometimes too strong for my tastes, goes really low and sounds sweet and never intrudes to territory of mids and highs. Everything is clear and audible.
While i like overall KSC75 sound way more than PX100, KSC75 doesnt play lowest subbass regions at all and lacks oomph when need (though rarely) them.
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 160
I personally find the PX100 case a pain in the a**, but the headphones themselves are a great value. The design is very portable, while maintaining a comfort level that a certain ultra-hyped clip-on doesn't come close to matching.

May 15, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
You guys must still have the older version, because mine was fairly light on bass. And for a portable headphone they were ridiculously flimsy.

Bass light? well, the ones I have are certainly not bass light and are well up there with the HD-600 in that department. Flimsy? No, elasticy yes.... if they were any firmer they'd snap if you sat on them.

What are you listening to them through spaceconvoy? They sound absolutely spot on to me through the ipod and also amped through MF V2, V3 and WNA MKlll. In fact, they just sound SO damned good fed by everything I've got I think I'll get another pair.

In all honesty they crap all over the HD-200 and HD-25 from a great height (IMO) and come very close indeed to some of the more expensive open Senn 'phones.

I haven't got "excited" over a pair of cans for a long long time but these things have really taken me by surprise, they're just velvety and euphonic and fun to listen to.

Can we give an all round 11 / 10 ?

Value: 10 / 10
SQ: 8.5 / 10
Comfort: 10 / 10
Ease of drive: 7 / 10 (amended after Bangraman's observations)

Superb 'phones, remind me very much of the classic 414's I had glued onto my head for years
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
You guys must still have the older version, because mine was fairly light on bass. And for a portable headphone they were ridiculously flimsy.

I know I have the newer (white) version, and it has bass and midrange similar to the HD600. Very smooth and well-balanced. And they're lightweight, but don't appear to be flimsy at all.

May 15, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 160
Where can you get these on the cheap?

May 15, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I think they're about the same price at Amazon, Headroom, or Newegg.

Yeah I see them for $49.99 at Headroom.

Jag, you coming to the Boston HeadFi Meet in August?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back