Sound quality this good at such a low price should be illegal!
May 29, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #122 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
The box cmirza posted is different from the two above and I was under the impression that that is the new version?

The box on the left in PinkFloyd's pic is definitely the new version, since it's the one that comes with a white PX100.

May 29, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #123 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
The box on the left in PinkFloyd's pic is definitely the new version, since it's the one that comes with a white PX100.

Not so, at least in my market area. The white ones have been out as long as the ones in the older orange package. The white ones were specifically packaged for iPods (hence, WHITE) and sold for $20 more than the dark PX-100's (hence, iPod=$). The white ones with that box have been for sale at Circuit City for a year.

cmirza's photo is indeed the new box, and is of the same vintage as the HD435/HD205.

Now whether that means they are really different ... I think you guys can debate that for a long time. Mine have never sounded 1/2 as good as a pair of KSC75's, and the folding puzzle box is ridiculous. A pair of KSC75's wrapped with a twist tie and thrown in a little nylon/felt drawstring bag is ten times faster and more convenient. The PX100 box is too smart by half.

May 29, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #124 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
Mine have never sounded 1/2 as good as a pair of KSC75's

You might have a defective PX100
wink.gif

May 29, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #125 of 160
Notice the layout on the box I posted is the same layout as the box for the white PX100s. I have no idea if Sennheiser has changed the design of the PX100 at any point and no real way to confirm it. But from what I've heard, if you want 'new' black PX100s, get the ones in the box I posted to be safe.

May 29, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #126 of 160
I've heard the PX100's on several occasions and they are nice. Very nice comfort. I like how it folds up like glasses. But I find the bass a bit too boomy and a bit on the muddy side. If the bass was more refined, I would like it more. But then again, the price would probably be higher.

Personally I don't like it for classical music at all. The strings sound too heavy for my taste and the somewhat boomy bass was a turn off with the orchestra. For rock, like classic rock it's better, a lot better. Sounded nice with an Eric Clapton and Phish CD. For jazz, real nice with a John Coltrane CD. I haven't heard it with metal yet but I imagine that it probably sounds good with AC/DC, old Black Sabbath
very_evil_smiley.gif
, etc....

All in all, it's pretty good. Solid sound.

May 29, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #127 of 160
Quote:

and the folding puzzle box is ridiculous. The PX100 box is too smart by half.

Erm..... just fold the 'phones, stick them in the box and wrap the cord round. It's really not that difficult
confused.gif

May 31, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #129 of 160
My PX-100's (black) came in the mail today
icon10.gif
Wow they are amazing, what a great value for the price. They're very comfortable, tons of bass, good mids and highs, they hold their own against more expensive headphones. There's definitley diminishing marginal returns with audio equipment purchases.

The case will be handy for traveliing once I get used to folding them up!
confused.gif

For you Canadians I bought them from a CDN ebay seller, for $47 CDN (all in)

May 31, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #130 of 160
The folding thing becomes second nature after you do it a few times, I can do it blindfolded if I need to
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #131 of 160
I've had my PX-100 for about 2 years and I'm still enjoying them greatly. I prefer them to the KSC75 and PortaPro. Mine are the old, orange-boxed version and I haven't heard the other versions.

May 31, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #132 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Erm..... just fold the 'phones, stick them in the box and wrap the cord round. It's really not that difficult
confused.gif

It's a little more difficult than that:
- I've almost permanently bent the band several times trying to get the notches in the right place,
- The ear cushion foam has almost been permanently distorted a couple of times because I didn't get the plug in the right position after wrapping the wire, and
- Putting all the pressure on the wire leads to the ear pieces - by scrunching up the little wire sleeve - will eventually lead to a failure with one of the drivers.

Or, it could just be that one day I'll throw them against the wall instead of worrying about all of that.

May 31, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #133 of 160
Quote:

It's a little more difficult than that:
- I've almost permanently bent the band several times trying to get the notches in the right place,
- The ear cushion foam has almost been permanently distorted a couple of times because I didn't get the plug in the right position after wrapping the wire, and
- Putting all the pressure on the wire leads to the ear pieces - by scrunching up the little wire sleeve - will eventually lead to a failure with one of the drivers.

Or, it could just be that one day I'll throw them against the wall instead of worrying about all of that.

I can't say I have that problem, then again I never put them in their box so that's maybe how I avoid that one
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 31, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #134 of 160
Yeah, using he box just makes them far too large cumbersome and un-portable. Just fold them down, wrap the cord around the phoens themselves and slip them away. much easier, faster and smaller.

Jun 1, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #135 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
I'm wondering if the PX200 are inferior to PX100s mentioned on this thread? My dad uses them and I have it right here hooked up to my ipod and supermacro. But the sound is pretty cheap to say the least, not much an improvement from ibuds... This thing is used daily for a few months now, so it must be burned in too.

Yes they're inferior in a sonic sense. But I can get a good seal with them and I find them much more practical than the PX100. I still have the PX200 but I got rid of all the PX100's a while ago. The 100's do sound excellent but that's not much use when you're on a train and they're struggling to overpower background noise. I get slightly-under-EX71 isolation with the PX200's. If you're not getting that, then you're probably losing out on some bass response.

And on a related note to this thread, I have to say that I usually don't really have much use for open cheap miniphones but as a purely throwaround open phone I prefer the KSC-75 to the PX100. I think the PX100 sounds better (I'm not sure how a structure as basic and as nominally open as the KSC-75 housing suffers from enclosure honk, but they've managed it) but the KSC75 doesn't need folding, and they give a more even response with many players (especially pre-5G iPods) due to their 60 ohm impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back