Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #9,016 of 9,173
So do I... I will buy a Denon AH-D9200 next week, I will wait for a black friday discount and if I won't find any, I will buy at normal price... I'm so worried about the comfort, even more because some members of the forum reported a little comfort issues with AH-D9200 headband.

If I trully love the sound of the AH-D9200 and don't find them so uncomfortable to me, I will keep them... But after trying these so comfortable Z7s, I couldn't stand my 2006's Senn HD 555 and my new Beyer DT 150 and today I have put both on sale.

Even with sound off, I barely notice the Z7s on my head...
If you encounter issues with the headband, you can try an aftermarket pad (ZMF's Pilot Pad, for example); it helps to cushion the band pressure, and diffuses the weight across a larger contact body. Personally, I've never had issues with the AH-D9200, but it's definitely less comfortable than the MDR-Z7 (and the MDR-Z7M2); the Sony cans are simply a joy to use for extended listening sessions. :)

I hope you get a great deal on the Denon, my friend!

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #9,017 of 9,173
If you encounter issues with the headband, you can try an aftermarket pad (ZMF's Pilot Pad, for example); it helps to cushion the band pressure, and diffuses the weight across a larger contact body. Personally, I've never had issues with the AH-D9200, but it's definitely less comfortable than the MDR-Z7 (and the MDR-Z7M2); the Sony cans are simply a joy to use for extended listening sessions. :)

I hope you get a great deal on the Denon, my friend!

Do you own both the Z7 and the Z7M2? If so, how would you characterize the difference between the two?

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #9,018 of 9,173
For maintenance, its easy, since it's not glued like audeze LCD series as example, you just need 1 mini screwdriver and you done, slip the earpads on the provided rings after you unscrew it. Basically, you dont really need the screw, just put on the safe place for easier replacement, therefore if you stick to original earpads, the process is so easier to do to replace the pads.

However if you used 3rd party earpads, to make it perfectly safe attached, you must use the screw because there's no provided original screw hole pin like original earpads, so you must use the screw for 3rd party pads (if lost no worries you can replace with another screw with same size), but be careful of the rings itself, there's no replacement anywhere as far as i know, if thats broken, then you basically fcked up, that's the only caveat, just gently and be careful, i think you will be ok.

You can find alternative 3rd party pads lambskin on ebay or aliexpress or others, it's not hard to find.

I have third party pads lambskin and original earpads, third party pads is more thick but comfortable as well as the original.

I'd steer clear of the Chinese third-party ear cushions. The ones I've seen on eBay deviate significantly from the OEM factory originals.

Nov 24, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #9,019 of 9,173
I'd steer clear of the Chinese third-party ear cushions. The ones I've seen on eBay deviate significantly from the OEM factory originals.

But it's more thicker than original, i dont have comfort issue, well if you want the same original sound, the OEM is the one you should pick, but as i recalled, it's more expensive

Do you notice the sound different with the aftermarket pads?

There's sound different off course, it's slightly more distance mid/vocal,just slightly because it's more thicker than the original, it doesnot change drastically though

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #9,020 of 9,173
But it's more thicker than original, i dont have comfort issue, well if you want the same original sound, the OEM is the one you should pick, but as i recalled, it's more expensive

There's sound different off course, it's slightly more distance mid/vocal,just slightly because it's more thicker than the original, it doesnot change drastically though

I'm possibly more sensitive to the changes in sound that aftermarket cushions have on headphones. They definitely change the sound and often for the worse. A few years ago someone did an exhaustive test of how various aftermarket cushions affected the sound of a popular headphone. i think it was the HD650 or HD600. He used some sort of dummy head with microphones rigged up inside and plotted the sound recorded on a frequency graph. The aftermarket cushions measured poorly compared to the OEMs.

My personal experience with the pricier aftermarket cushions for HD650 is that they made the sound anemic and hollowed out because of the added cushion depth and stiffness of the foam.

The OEM pads for the Z7 can be purchased from Japan retailers for half the price that Sony's American parts store has them listed for. But you have to use a shipping proxy service. I was able to buy the OEM cushions so cheaply that I flipped a couple sets for profit on ebay. I keep one backup set in the closet ready to go when my current pads start to form permanent creases on the sides of the cushions.

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #9,021 of 9,173
I'm possibly more sensitive to the changes in sound that aftermarket cushions have on headphones. They definitely change the sound and often for the worse. A few years ago someone did an exhaustive test of how various aftermarket cushions affected the sound of a popular headphone. i think it was the HD650 or HD600. He used some sort of dummy head with microphones rigged up inside and plotted the sound recorded on a frequency graph. The aftermarket cushions measured poorly compared to the OEMs.

My personal experience with the pricier aftermarket cushions for HD650 is that they made the sound anemic and hollowed out because of the added cushion depth and stiffness of the foam.

The OEM pads for the Z7 can be purchased from Japan retailers for half the price that Sony's American parts store has them listed for. But you have to use a shipping proxy service. I was able to buy the OEM cushions so cheaply that I flipped a couple sets for profit on ebay. I keep one backup set in the closet ready to go when my current pads start to form permanent creases on the sides of the cushions.

These japan relatailer,do you have any source ? dont forget also consider for shipping and import fee, in my country now in Indonesia, shipping from china is free, i dont know how they do it, but they can, even that's took long to arrive, unfortunately for the rest of the world including japan, there's no such thing as free shipping and after some calculation it's definitely not cheaper, i found one on ebay, but sadly the item worth almost 2 times of the price of third party earpads and that's not including shipping cost and import fee as well which also almost 60% of the item price, it will be triple cost (not worhted it), no wonder no spareparts here available for now, also the not come up with the ring, if only sony sell those too, also most retailer in japan will ship in USA or europe but not want to ship to south east asia, even they can, the shipping cost almost the same as the item price itself

However if the OEM more cheaper, perhaps i will consider but as i realized the third party ones i had is not bad quality compare to the OEM or i can said better in comfort, let alone sound quality, probably also better in durability

There's funny story though, there's friend of mine buying this Z7 unit, the seller didnot tell the original earpads has been replaced by third party, and he thought the third party ones is original OEM parts since it's more thicker, also he include the OEM but it's already in bad condition, so the Third party ones attached by default

He was surprised that time when i told him that the thicker one is the third party pads instead

I talked about this earpads, this kindda have good quality compare the other third party ones (see the attachment), no wonder he thought this particular parts is the original, but the reallity, it's not, this is the best third party that i can find so far since i hardly find the OEM ones

Now maybe you can share how can i buy the OEM parts that comes cheap perhaps thats maybe same price as this one or even cheaper, and i wonder if they ship internationally as well because i couldnot find it yet

Attachments

• using.jpg
    using.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #9,022 of 9,173
Let's take a guess game, in this third picture which one the OEM or the Third party ones, A or B

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #9,023 of 9,173
Do you own both the Z7 and the Z7M2? If so, how would you characterize the difference between the two?
No, I don't own the MDR-Z7, only the MDR-Z7M2. I have auditioned the original version in the past, but I have never compared the 2 together.

With that being said, the M1 has a more robust and prominent bass section. The revised model tames the mid-bass, but keeps the quality. That's as far as I can recall, regarding major variances between the 2 cans.

The comfort factor on the original is quite unmistakable, though - it was supreme in that aspect.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #9,024 of 9,173
The right driver of my Z7 died yesterday. I played some music and heard the imbalance between two cups then the right one wen silent. I checked if it was the connectors or something but it wasn't. I opened up both cups and tested by connecting the sound source directly to two pins on each PCB. The left driver sang and the right one didn't.
I really love the sound signature of the Z7. What should I do? Buy another one or go for mark-2?

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #9,025 of 9,173
The right driver of my Z7 died yesterday. I played some music and heard the imbalance between two cups then the right one wen silent. I checked if it was the connectors or something but it wasn't. I opened up both cups and tested by connecting the sound source directly to two pins on each PCB. The left driver sang and the right one didn't.
I really love the sound signature of the Z7. What should I do? Buy another one or go for mark-2?

Given the used prices on eBay, personally I would opt for the Z7m2 new. You get a fresh warranty and a fresh headset for not that much more money. It's what I would do if my Z7 died.

If you do get the M2, report back on the similarities and differences!

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #9,026 of 9,173

They're quite different my friend said that, but i myself not hear it yet, better if you go to the fresh unit with warranty but make sure audition first before pull the trigger or make sure the seller has return policy, goodluck.

Dec 24, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #9,027 of 9,173
Just got back listening with my Z7 after been going with IEM for a while. Really glad I bought it brand new with my friend's employee discount from Sony directly back then.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #9,028 of 9,173
I'm jumping ship to Z1R (arriving monday). If the Z7 is still in my hands by then (I am selling on eBay), I will do an A/B comparison and post it :)

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #9,029 of 9,173
I have the Z7 (mk1) and the Z1R, love them both. The Z7 to my ears is darker, slower, a bit richer. The Z1R has better resolution and clarity up top and does not sound as narrow as the Z7. I prefer the Z1R, but I've had the Z7 longer and just can't force myself to part with them - they are comfy, built well, and present a fun experience. To my ears the Z7 is a more colored sound signature than the Z1R. Haven't heard the MK2 yet.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #9,030 of 9,173
I have the Z7 (mk1) and the Z1R, love them both. The Z7 to my ears is darker, slower, a bit richer. The Z1R has better resolution and clarity up top and does not sound as narrow as the Z7. I prefer the Z1R, but I've had the Z7 longer and just can't force myself to part with them - they are comfy, built well, and present a fun experience. To my ears the Z7 is a more colored sound signature than the Z1R. Haven't heard the MK2 yet.

Yeah, frankly, I would like to keep the Z7, but selling it was critical to WAF (no to mention assuaging my own first-world guilt) :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back