Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 9, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #9,046 of 9,173
Once you hear the MDR-Z1R, the z7 no longer sound good. :wink:
Kind of childish to upgrade and then troll about it. It’s great to upgrade. Congrats. I upgrade all the time, but I don’t go back and tell people how much better my upgrade is then theirs. It’s like going back to an old neighborhood you used to live in and say, “You guys still live in this crappy neighborhood?”. No one likes that dude.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #9,047 of 9,173
Kind of childish to upgrade and then troll about it. It’s great to upgrade. Congrats. I upgrade all the time, but I don’t go back and tell people how much better my upgrade is then theirs. It’s like going back to an old neighborhood you used to live in and say, “You guys still live in this crappy neighborhood?”. No one likes that dude.

You tell him! Lol. I wonder why he even follows this thread if he switched horses. Perhaps he's having self doubts of the merits of his "upgrade".

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #9,048 of 9,173
You tell him! Lol. I wonder why he even follows this thread if he switched horses. Perhaps he's having self doubts of the merits of his "upgrade".
This kind of attitude usually points to a flaw in their motivation to upgrade - mostly to boast and feel self satisfied, rather than simply sitting back and enjoying the music. Btw, what is the Japanese site where you got your z7 ear pads?

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #9,051 of 9,173
I upgraded from Z7 to Z1R, but I would hardly say the Z7 "sounds bad now." The Z7 is amazing, especially for classical, and especially for the going rate on today's market.

The difference I have noticed is brighter treble and tighter bass. I have some Haydn symphonies that sounded a bit muddy on the Z7 but the Z1R renders them with more agility and less flab.

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #9,052 of 9,173
I upgraded from Z7 to Z1R, but I would hardly say the Z7 "sounds bad now." The Z7 is amazing, especially for classical, and especially for the going rate on today's market.

The difference I have noticed is brighter treble and tighter bass. I have some Haydn symphonies that sounded a bit muddy on the Z7 but the Z1R renders them with more agility and less flab.
i kept my z7 first gen for a while now. for the price i paid it is a keeper. i really enjoy the sound. bass not as detailed as plannar but got your dynamic satisfaction and it's much more comfortable to wear than audeze.

always wonder about the z1r, based on what you describe not a huge step up from z7? maybe need a huge dac+amp like audio-gd stuff.

i got a hd820 the next day after i sold my lcd-xc, for almost the same price. it's still on it's way. i am pretty excited to try it out. i do miss the hd800 series everytime i sell them. mainly because i can't use them at night since live in a smaller home right now. this hd820 will be perfect. hopefully it's a keeper. but i guess i can always trade it to a z1r lol.

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #9,053 of 9,173
i kept my z7 first gen for a while now. for the price i paid it is a keeper. i really enjoy the sound. bass not as detailed as plannar but got your dynamic satisfaction and it's much more comfortable to wear than audeze.

always wonder about the z1r, based on what you describe not a huge step up from z7? maybe need a huge dac+amp like audio-gd stuff.

i got a hd820 the next day after i sold my lcd-xc, for almost the same price. it's still on it's way. i am pretty excited to try it out. i do miss the hd800 series everytime i sell them. mainly because i can't use them at night since live in a smaller home right now. this hd820 will be perfect. hopefully it's a keeper. but i guess i can always trade it to a z1r lol.
I would not call it a huge step up. It isn't twice the headphone (at MSRP). The Z7 is a little more comfortable and the bass is a little bit more forward, which can be nice in some material (like EDM), but can drown out detail in orchestral music. At current used prices, it's a steal. It's "fun" without being cartoonish.

The Z1R is a more "refined." The bass is less booming but still very deep and present. It doesn't obscure as much detail and so you can perceive more instrument groups in orchestral music. The treble also contains more detail, but might have to be tuned a bit in order to mellow it out. The pads are easily replaceable and are real leather, not pleather. You get a nice leatherbound box. I would say the chassis is slightly more durable (but the Z7 is no slouch there).

For Rock, I would call them equal. For EDM, Z7 is a slight winner. For Classical Z1R all the way. For Jazz I would call them equal. The Z1R is "better" but it may not be better for you.

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #9,054 of 9,173
Hello, can someone recommend me a replacement earpads you use for the Z7? I have them for years since the release of the Z7 and now the pads wore off and started peeling.

Thanks.
4088F24F-49B6-4C72-849A-64B4CA56E171.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #9,055 of 9,173
Hello, can someone recommend me a replacement earpads you use for the Z7? I have them for years since the release of the Z7 and now the pads wore off and started peeling.

Thanks.
Wow, your earpads are really worn down. Definitely time for replacements. I would recommend the Sony OEM pads. Best to order them direct from Japan using a shipping proxy service. The prices are much more reasonable in Japan then elsewhere. You can PM me if you need help.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #9,056 of 9,173
did anyone make a drawing for 3d printing adapter so you can use other pads or get similar pad like original and reuse some parts inside? my z7 is still new looking.

Apr 16, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #9,057 of 9,173

Thanks.4088F24F-49B6-4C72-849A-64B4CA56E171.jpeg
Beautiful photo of a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back