Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 28, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #7,921 of 9,173
  I genuinely think I got backwards headphones. Just to be clear, left side should be slanted fowards towards the front of my body. But the driver mount can't even fit in that way. There's a piece that sticks up and blocks it

​I saw mine and they are slanted "backwards" too i haven't found any big deal as i find they have a pretty big soundstage

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #7,922 of 9,173
I genuinely think I got backwards headphones. Just to be clear, left side should be slanted fowards towards the front of my body. But the driver mount can't even fit in that way. There's a piece that sticks up and blocks it

Nope. If you took them apart, you're reassembling them incorrectly. The drivers angle toward the rear. Sony builders couldn't have made a "backward" headphone by mistake, evidenced by your ability to rebuild them in the incorrect forward facing fashion.
As they say on the internet, "You're doing it wrong"!
Try Whittiger from a little earlier on this thread for a little help, friend!

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #7,925 of 9,173
I found an interesting user's feedback to share it with you guys. I didn't go through all of the pages, as he might have posted his impressions here as well. Like every audiophile. 

I am quoting this from Amazon reviews: 

"After reflecting on this purchasing decision and trying other headphones after replacing these. I feel like i should have kept these or at least replaced them since they were slightly defective (right speaker driver was rattling a bit). Even with this issue, these have been better that the 2 different headphones i tried after ; JVC FX850 and Sennheiser HD700.

Quality - Well its a bit difficult, for one, these have to be one of the best looking well put together set of earphones i've ever seen or purchased. The much more uber expensive Beyerdynamic T1 and HD800 doesn't hold a candle to the design or quality. But on the other hand the issue with the defective driver kind of makes the "quality" aspect fall flat on it's face. The materials are super sensible, the leather was clean cut and comfortable, the headband was small enough, yet large enough to be almost unnoticeable and with comfort surpassing anything I've used before. The double polished cup mounts are well made and finished brilliantly without flaws (unlike that of the Beyerdynamics). The cords were excellent both the dual input and the single input cord. The length was perfect without being cluttered and binding like the HD700 fiasco. The height adjustment band was beautifully tactile with soft clicks and did not move. Overall beyond that small flop it is the perfect design.

Sound- POWER POWER POWER! These things suck up power like nobodies business. And beyond this fact is how well it just keeps on outputting clean signal without distortion! At first i was a bit amazed then astounded then mad, like why wont you show your ugly side! I had my poor little Nuforce HDP ramp'd up to 99% and these things weren't fazed at all. The bass kept hitting and the mids stayed mellow and unfazed while the highs sung up to a point and just stayed resonating just under the mids power. Now there was the initial fatiguing aspect which made me mad. Was how the Highs never really "peaked". They were rather soft yet very clear. It is probably the weirdest characteristic I've ever heard from a speaker. Almost as if there was some Equalizing going on where it would keep the highs just under a limit and would not go over it. Another aspect was it felt like the sound wasn't hitting the ear directly, but traveling across the ear like a breeze of air. Now if anyone paid attention to Sony's release review on these, it seems this was there exact plan. In theory it sounds like a cool idea, but in practice it is really weird sometimes. Overall this sound profile makes it rather fatiguing because you have to listen to these things glaringly loud in order to get a since of resolution and impact. Where as on other headphones like my IEM EX1000, countless Beyerdynamics and Sennheisers (HD700 to specific) you get a sense of resolve and happiness around the optimal mid volume level. And normal listening conditions it felt a bit boring and not lively.

This was until i got the Lyr II! AKA lightning in a box. I had countless discussions with amp manufactures on whether or not the power rating on these should be taken at face value. YES...YES it should! These things need jiggawatts to get funky! I don't know what drugs the engineers were smoking when they made these things but under a hidden rock of illusion somewhere, imprinted on a manual it says "must receive massive jiggawatts" The Lyr II is pumping out massive power for normal headphones, these Z7's fall into that category of power hungry beasts. The highs woke up like a dead person stabbed in the heart with a lithium battery, and the bass punches you in the head like a junky on PCP. That clear smooth sound now has evolved into a party animal with gloatingly impressive control and power. Astounded again...until i realized what can of worms i just opened.

So this is where my second problem came (and no, not the broken driver) but the amount of money i didn't want to spend on something i considered to be a mid level enthusiast headphones. With both the Lyr II and these, i'm just over 1000$ in audio equipment. Now this is less than many systems, but for the initial plan, much more than many would want to spend. Beyond the issue with the loose speaker, is the sound just as amazing as pro 1000$ setups? Hell yes. The sound put the T1's and HD800's to shame, although different, this was much more exciting and rewarding across multiple genres and media. But without the amp, no, it was just that. A sub 1000$ headphone with a weird sound profile which i doubt many people would appreciate. I had to pump up all my audio devices to 100% other than the Lyr II to get a pleasant sound which after while could be quite distracting as you know your blasting your face off with sound, yet not fully in pain to give up. And that was the issue with the weird atmospheric impact Sony tried to bestow upon us. The sound isn't directly impacting your ears, just the space around the ear. Without the extra power from a much more power amp, you'd be hard to get passed this aspect.

Overall i put this headphone in the category of "gateway drug" That initial cost has several more digits attached to it secretly. If you have a powerful amp and or are willing to spend more money to get one, then i highly recommend this over just about anything else in the category up to about 2000 dollar headphones."

I think for $300 for a brand new sealed piece with warranty. There shouldn't be anything touching these in terms of SQ and versatility. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #7,926 of 9,173
I found an interesting user's feedback to share it with you guys. I didn't go through all of the pages, as he might have posted his impressions here as well. Like every audiophile. 

[COLOR=111111]"After reflecting on this purchasing decision and trying other headphones after replacing these. I feel like i should have kept these or at least replaced them since they were slightly defective (right speaker driver was rattling a bit). Even with this issue, these have been better that the 2 different headphones i tried after ; JVC FX850 and Sennheiser HD700.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]Quality - Well its a bit difficult, for one, these have to be one of the best looking well put together set of earphones i've ever seen or purchased. The much more uber expensive Beyerdynamic T1 and HD800 doesn't hold a candle to the design or quality. But on the other hand the issue with the defective driver kind of makes the "quality" aspect fall flat on it's face. The materials are super sensible, the leather was clean cut and comfortable, the headband was small enough, yet large enough to be almost unnoticeable and with comfort surpassing anything I've used before. The double polished cup mounts are well made and finished brilliantly without flaws (unlike that of the Beyerdynamics). The cords were excellent both the dual input and the single input cord. The length was perfect without being cluttered and binding like the HD700 fiasco. The height adjustment band was beautifully tactile with soft clicks and did not move. Overall beyond that small flop it is the perfect design.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]Sound- POWER POWER POWER! These things suck up power like nobodies business. And beyond this fact is how well it just keeps on outputting clean signal without distortion! At first i was a bit amazed then astounded then mad, like why wont you show your ugly side! I had my poor little Nuforce HDP ramp'd up to 99% and these things weren't fazed at all. The bass kept hitting and the mids stayed mellow and unfazed while the highs sung up to a point and just stayed resonating just under the mids power. Now there was the initial fatiguing aspect which made me mad. Was how the Highs never really "peaked". They were rather soft yet very clear. It is probably the weirdest characteristic I've ever heard from a speaker. Almost as if there was some Equalizing going on where it would keep the highs just under a limit and would not go over it. Another aspect was it felt like the sound wasn't hitting the ear directly, but traveling across the ear like a breeze of air. Now if anyone paid attention to Sony's release review on these, it seems this was there exact plan. In theory it sounds like a cool idea, but in practice it is really weird sometimes. Overall this sound profile makes it rather fatiguing because you have to listen to these things glaringly loud in order to get a since of resolution and impact. Where as on other headphones like my IEM EX1000, countless Beyerdynamics and Sennheisers (HD700 to specific) you get a sense of resolve and happiness around the optimal mid volume level. And normal listening conditions it felt a bit boring and not lively.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]This was until i got the Lyr II! AKA lightning in a box. I had countless discussions with amp manufactures on whether or not the power rating on these should be taken at face value. YES...YES it should! These things need jiggawatts to get funky! I don't know what drugs the engineers were smoking when they made these things but under a hidden rock of illusion somewhere, imprinted on a manual it says "must receive massive jiggawatts" The Lyr II is pumping out massive power for normal headphones, these Z7's fall into that category of power hungry beasts. The highs woke up like a dead person stabbed in the heart with a lithium battery, and the bass punches you in the head like a junky on PCP. That clear smooth sound now has evolved into a party animal with gloatingly impressive control and power. Astounded again...until i realized what can of worms i just opened.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]So this is where my second problem came (and no, not the broken driver) but the amount of money i didn't want to spend on something i considered to be a mid level enthusiast headphones. With both the Lyr II and these, i'm just over 1000$ in audio equipment. Now this is less than many systems, but for the initial plan, much more than many would want to spend. Beyond the issue with the loose speaker, is the sound just as amazing as pro 1000$ setups? Hell yes. The sound put the T1's and HD800's to shame, although different, this was much more exciting and rewarding across multiple genres and media. But without the amp, no, it was just that. A sub 1000$ headphone with a weird sound profile which i doubt many people would appreciate. I had to pump up all my audio devices to 100% other than the Lyr II to get a pleasant sound which after while could be quite distracting as you know your blasting your face off with sound, yet not fully in pain to give up. And that was the issue with the weird atmospheric impact Sony tried to bestow upon us. The sound isn't directly impacting your ears, just the space around the ear. Without the extra power from a much more power amp, you'd be hard to get passed this aspect.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]Overall i put this headphone in the category of "gateway drug" That initial cost has several more digits attached to it secretly. If you have a powerful amp and or are willing to spend more money to get one, then i highly recommend this over just about anything else in the category up to about 2000 dollar headphones."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=111111]I think for $300 for a brand new sealed piece with warranty. There shouldn't be anything touching these in terms of SQ and versatility. [/COLOR]

He could have just equalised the treble to his liking, couldn't he?

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #7,927 of 9,173

[COLOR=111111]"After reflecting on this purchasing decision and trying other headphones after replacing these. I feel like i should have kept these or at least replaced them since they were slightly defective (right speaker driver was rattling a bit). Even with this issue, these have been better that the 2 different headphones i tried after ; JVC FX850 and Sennheiser HD700.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]Quality - Well its a bit difficult, for one, these have to be one of the best looking well put together set of earphones i've ever seen or purchased. The much more uber expensive Beyerdynamic T1 and HD800 doesn't hold a candle to the design or quality. But on the other hand the issue with the defective driver kind of makes the "quality" aspect fall flat on it's face. The materials are super sensible, the leather was clean cut and comfortable, the headband was small enough, yet large enough to be almost unnoticeable and with comfort surpassing anything I've used before. The double polished cup mounts are well made and finished brilliantly without flaws (unlike that of the Beyerdynamics). The cords were excellent both the dual input and the single input cord. The length was perfect without being cluttered and binding like the HD700 fiasco. The height adjustment band was beautifully tactile with soft clicks and did not move. Overall beyond that small flop it is the perfect design.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]Sound- POWER POWER POWER! These things suck up power like nobodies business. And beyond this fact is how well it just keeps on outputting clean signal without distortion! At first i was a bit amazed then astounded then mad, like why wont you show your ugly side! I had my poor little Nuforce HDP ramp'd up to 99% and these things weren't fazed at all. The bass kept hitting and the mids stayed mellow and unfazed while the highs sung up to a point and just stayed resonating just under the mids power. Now there was the initial fatiguing aspect which made me mad. Was how the Highs never really "peaked". They were rather soft yet very clear. It is probably the weirdest characteristic I've ever heard from a speaker. Almost as if there was some Equalizing going on where it would keep the highs just under a limit and would not go over it. Another aspect was it felt like the sound wasn't hitting the ear directly, but traveling across the ear like a breeze of air. Now if anyone paid attention to Sony's release review on these, it seems this was there exact plan. In theory it sounds like a cool idea, but in practice it is really weird sometimes. Overall this sound profile makes it rather fatiguing because you have to listen to these things glaringly loud in order to get a since of resolution and impact. Where as on other headphones like my IEM EX1000, countless Beyerdynamics and Sennheisers (HD700 to specific) you get a sense of resolve and happiness around the optimal mid volume level. And normal listening conditions it felt a bit boring and not lively.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]This was until i got the Lyr II! AKA lightning in a box. I had countless discussions with amp manufactures on whether or not the power rating on these should be taken at face value. YES...YES it should! These things need jiggawatts to get funky! I don't know what drugs the engineers were smoking when they made these things but under a hidden rock of illusion somewhere, imprinted on a manual it says "must receive massive jiggawatts" The Lyr II is pumping out massive power for normal headphones, these Z7's fall into that category of power hungry beasts. The highs woke up like a dead person stabbed in the heart with a lithium battery, and the bass punches you in the head like a junky on PCP. That clear smooth sound now has evolved into a party animal with gloatingly impressive control and power. Astounded again...until i realized what can of worms i just opened.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]So this is where my second problem came (and no, not the broken driver) but the amount of money i didn't want to spend on something i considered to be a mid level enthusiast headphones. With both the Lyr II and these, i'm just over 1000$ in audio equipment. Now this is less than many systems, but for the initial plan, much more than many would want to spend. Beyond the issue with the loose speaker, is the sound just as amazing as pro 1000$ setups? Hell yes. The sound put the T1's and HD800's to shame, although different, this was much more exciting and rewarding across multiple genres and media. But without the amp, no, it was just that. A sub 1000$ headphone with a weird sound profile which i doubt many people would appreciate. I had to pump up all my audio devices to 100% other than the Lyr II to get a pleasant sound which after while could be quite distracting as you know your blasting your face off with sound, yet not fully in pain to give up. And that was the issue with the weird atmospheric impact Sony tried to bestow upon us. The sound isn't directly impacting your ears, just the space around the ear. Without the extra power from a much more power amp, you'd be hard to get passed this aspect.[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]Overall i put this headphone in the category of "gateway drug" That initial cost has several more digits attached to it secretly. If you have a powerful amp and or are willing to spend more money to get one, then i highly recommend this over just about anything else in the category up to about 2000 dollar headphones."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=111111]I think for $300 for a brand new sealed piece with warranty. There shouldn't be anything touching these in terms of SQ and versatility. [/COLOR]

He could have just equalised the treble to his liking, couldn't he?
and he quoted power hungry monsters :grin:, really? My WM1A drives them well from lo gain volume 70/120

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #7,928 of 9,173
Do you mean that it is not advisable to run the Z7 from likes of LG V20 or HTC 10?

Sent from my LGM-G600K using Tapatalk

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #7,931 of 9,173
Received the mdr z7 today just to test and review, I'm actually surprised at the performance and comfort offered at this price, a little boomy bass, mids aren't too clear, treble is ok. But somehow fun sounding. Still looking for more mids

I wouldn't call them "high end", but they are my go to for late night casual music listening and movies/tv on the computer.  They are indeed fun headphones, not only because they have a groovy character (punchy bass and sweet treble), but they're also super comfortable physically and on the ears (non-fatiguing sound).  Not only that, but they're really well made and just feel great to handle.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #7,932 of 9,173
I wouldn't call them "high end", but they are my go to for late night casual music listening and movies/tv on the computer.  They are indeed fun headphones, not only because they have a groovy character (punchy bass and sweet treble), but they're also super comfortable physically and on the ears (non-fatiguing sound).  Not only that, but they're really well made and just feel great to handle.

I agree with all those things, they aren't fatiguing and they are fun, I am absolutely stunned at how bad the isolation is, the worst I've *heard* in anything over 100$. I feel it up to par of hd600 as far as how the isolation is.

Comfort is good.
Over all I believe the he400i is a better headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back