Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 31, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #6,451 of 9,173
From my experiences, both the silver and the TRRS does improve the sound quality. I can tell you what each improvements are, but with due respect to an admin recommend about separate thread to talk about cables and mods, I won't say it here. It will be less likely for me to create another thread about mods and cables. All the posts I contributed into this thread are enough, and if it doesn't convince, then it just doesn't (just search button or PM me).

It is good that you like it, and I am glad that I helped. As a music lover, I would seek out the best for my listening experiences, and then share it, even though I know it may help out to some fellows and it may not to others according to hearing being "subjective". But, yeah, with all due respect, I will no longer post about such improvements, potential upgrades, eventhough it is related to the Z7 directly.

Finally, enjoy your Z7 and enjoy the music as that all we do. Once again, I am glad to be helpful :).

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #6,452 of 9,173
From my experiences, both the silver and the TRRS does improve the sound quality. I can tell you what each improvements are, but with due respect to an admin recommend about separate thread to talk about cables and mods, I won't say it here. It will be less likely for me to create another thread about mods and cables. All the posts I contributed into this thread are enough, and if it doesn't convince, then it just doesn't (just search button or PM me).

It is good that you like it, and I am glad that I helped. As a music lover, I would seek out the best for my listening experiences, and then share it, even though I know it may help out to some fellows and it may not to others according to hearing being "subjective". But, yeah, with all due respect, I will no longer post about such improvements, potential upgrades, eventhough it is related to the Z7 directly.

Finally, enjoy your Z7 and enjoy the music as that all we do. Once again, I am glad to be helpful
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yes, you are very helpful. Thanks again. I definitely owe you a drink. I know that the remaining "bottleneck" would be the internal cabling. I hope I have enough strand to do the mod. I was mostly surprised by the jump in volume. Saves me buying the PHA-3 :p (just joking)

I agree, the ZX2 has more than enough power to drive the Z7 and my other phones. I do have the Japanese version, which might give a little more volume. 

Jesus!! I was just listening to "Lapalux - Doesn't mean a thing" and it sounds VERY different. Im positively shocked!!

For anyone who hasn't seen this yet and wants to mod their Z7, here the service manual. Sorry if that was posted before. :wink: 

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #6,454 of 9,173
I came very close to selling my Z7 after getting an HE-400i but I'm glad I stopped myself because I really do like this headphone a lot.  I thought because they both have a warm signature and the 400i being a more resolving and detailed headphone that I didn't need the Z7 anymore, but after comparing the 2 I like having both.  The Z7 has such a smooth relaxed sound that I love and along with that great bass they sound really good with electronic music.  When I'm doing more critical listening the 400i is perfect with its detail and speed but when I'm looking to just relax and listen to music I love to use the Z7 a little more than the 400i, it really is a great all around headphone.

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #6,455 of 9,173
Hey guys today I went into a store and got the chance to audition the following

Sony z7
Sony pha3
Sony zx2

Honestly this was not a good experience at all, the z7 was connected balanced to pha3 and I just hated what I heard

Tried to mess around with sound enhancenments and it just was bad

I tired to figure out what device was the bad device in the chains, was it the headphones, or the zx2 or the pha3

The bass was flappy and bad the sound was cold and not musical and can get harsh

I asked the retailer if I can just listen to the z7 and zx2 but they lost the cable for single ended use

I was so bummed from what I heard that I decided not to go for this setup

Tomorrow I am going in again and I will install on the zx2 hibby and try the setup again as I don't like the eq of the stock music player anyway so maybe I can eq this system

I thought the zx2 has amazing bass and is musical but to me not at all

Also I thought the z7 had great bass but to me not at all and to me it so so bad soundING

Any tips before I go again to the store tomorrow

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #6,456 of 9,173

Sony z7
Sony pha3
Sony zx2

Honestly this was not a good experience at all, the z7 was connected balanced to pha3 and I just hated what I heard

Tried to mess around with sound enhancenments and it just was bad

I tired to figure out what device was the bad device in the chains, was it the headphones, or the zx2 or the pha3

The bass was flappy and bad the sound was cold and not musical and can get harsh

I asked the retailer if I can just listen to the z7 and zx2 but they lost the cable for single ended use

I was so bummed from what I heard that I decided not to go for this setup

Tomorrow I am going in again and I will install on the zx2 hibby and try the setup again as I don't like the eq of the stock music player anyway so maybe I can eq this system

I thought the zx2 has amazing bass and is musical but to me not at all

Also I thought the z7 had great bass but to me not at all and to me it so so bad soundING

If you don't like it somehow instantly, go search for something else.

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #6,457 of 9,173
Big disappointment if only I can know which was the culprit in the chains

I think it's the z7

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #6,458 of 9,173

I think it's the z7

PHA-3's bass is very loose and flappy.
Plus if the ZX2 is digital out to the PHA-3, messing around with the sound enhancenments will not change anything;
PHA-3 is the DAC in this set up.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #6,459 of 9,173
And the ZX2 is more than able to drive the Z7. So is my beloved ZX1.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #6,460 of 9,173

Sony z7
Sony pha3
Sony zx2

I thought the zx2 has amazing bass and is musical but to me not at all.

You should kill the sound adjustment app in the ZX2 (applications > all > find sound adjustement, stop the service then deactivate it altogether).

Stupid question but is that Z7 burnt in? Mine was nowhere near as good as it is until a couple hundred of hours, especially bass.
I don't think the ZX2 (at least EU version I have) has enough power even with sound adjustment killed, it can drive the Z7 fairly but best result need an amp.

The PHA-3 is not that bad, but certainly not as musical as the ZX2 or other DAC/amps, my favorite with the Z7 is the Mojo. The Mojo with its separation adds air to the soundstage, details to the highs and tighter more impactful bass.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #6,461 of 9,173

I think it's the z7

Are they on stock cables? That was the culprit for me. Going Kimber fixed the fatigue sound (big difference for me).

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #6,463 of 9,173
  Are they on stock cables? That was the culprit for me. Going Kimber fixed the fatigue sound (big difference for me).

Fatigue with the Z7? I can't imagine that being possible, but obviously for you it was. Still hard to fathom, the Z7 is mellow if they are nothing else.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #6,464 of 9,173

Oh yes, you are very helpful. Thanks again. I definitely owe you a drink. I know that the remaining "bottleneck" would be the internal cabling. I hope I have enough strand to do the mod. I was mostly surprised by the jump in volume. Saves me buying the PHA-3 :p (just joking)

I agree, the ZX2 has more than enough power to drive the Z7 and my other phones. I do have the Japanese version, which might give a little more volume. 

Jesus!! I was just listening to "Lapalux - Doesn't mean a thing" and it sounds VERY different. Im positively shocked!!

For anyone who hasn't seen this yet and wants to mod their Z7, here the service manual. Sorry if that was posted before. :wink: 

The ZX2 is a meager 15Mw as an amp. I get that it is a nice sounding amp, perhaps exceptionally nice, but you people must like very quiet music. I was able to have the PHA 3 at full in balanced with the Z7 much of the time.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #6,465 of 9,173
The ZX2 is a meager 15Mw as an amp. I get that it is a nice sounding amp, perhaps exceptionally nice, but you people must like very quiet music. I was able to have the PHA 3 at full in balanced with the Z7 much of the time.

Let's not talk about loudness and quality music,because they are 2 different things. I am listening to Mojo which is a very powerful amplifier to Z7, and then swap to ZX2 + TRRS +Z7, and I can hear the differences in which Zx2 is better. Z7 was not the only one showing it, but MDR-SA3000/5000 Fostex th900 also does the same.

Would I clarify Zx2 to not be able to drive Z7 ? I wouldn't because if it couldn't then how did it sound better than Mojo ? Black magic ? Sure, let's it be.

How did I come down to those conclusions ? More than couple hours listening to the 2 devices on the same stupid track....yeah, that boring and repetitive. I first analyzed it, then second I would let my brain and ears pick what it like. The results were obvious. If I used stock Z7 cables to Mojo the same way to Zx2, I would always reach for Mojo, and prefer it. However if I use Z7 TRRS silver cable vs Mojo TRS, yeah I would automatically reach ZX2 and Z7. You may call my test, impressions, review for bias or whatever....but it was at the least a proof of ZX2 driving Z7 just as well as Mojo. But I will tell you this and honestly, I am open to upgrade and new devices, I would sell my device and buy new one when and only when I hear that it is worth it. I was hoping and praying Mojo was it, and again for driving Z7!

For people who would like more detailed review, I am composing it. For the moment you can read this post on my impressions between the 2 devices using all the gears I have

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/9750#post_12209904

Users who are viewing this thread

Back