Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 28, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #6,436 of 9,173
There was a short period that I almost sell my Z7
wink.gif
. But actually glad that I am keeping it. After blasting my ears with th900 for a while, having Z7 back on my ears just feel like "real-music" and not "analyzing music" as th900
biggrin.gif
. However, both are excellent, and must have. Only thing is that Z7 needs more works....for example, upgrading the inner cables is a PITA.

I can offer trade-in for mine already upgraded (silver cables) one within the Con US. You will ship me your with series number clothes in the box (good-excellent condition as mine), and I will ship you mine modded one, after I inspected your pair to be acceptable and some small fees +shipping (Pm for details). Otherwise, Peterek can also help you mods it and upgrade the inner cables as well. I will create a thread to offer the trade program if needed.

To clarify, I will not offer upgrade services. Only trade-in program as I will mod mine the best ways possible and that includes all 3 mods: dampening on the drivers back, cup chambers, solid silver to the drivers and stock jacks. Again, if you want upgrades, you can contact Peterek.

Why do I offer this ? Well, I love people to share the best experiences with Z7, and I don't want people to risk damaging their, also I want to take time and do the mods. So I treat it as mine from the beginning, and you get your upgraded and in 100% working condition Almost immediately (when available) except shipping times.

I wouldn't mind doing that, considering that I have almost no time for myself with 2 small kids and headphone block at home (yes, I am not allowed to use any of my headphone at home)

K has already sent my solid silver cable and some 30+cm extra for the internal mod. Whats the SN on yours?

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #6,439 of 9,173
Which is why it makes no sense to me replace the outside connecting cables, without replacing the inside wiring and expecting any difference. BTW what AWG of the stock cable?

Actually, the outside cables upgrade would still bring improvements :wink:. But the biggest improvements would be from the drivers cables, and it makes Z7 transform....especially the soundstage, even modded th900 can't offer the soundstage that Z7 does under this upgrade. It is worth every pennies to just upgrade the drivers cables prior to the main cables....you can do whatever though. Mine is solid silver, and I can't speak for other materials.

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #6,440 of 9,173
Actually, the outside cables upgrade would still bring improvements :wink:

You can believe that, but there is no logic to back that up.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #6,441 of 9,173
Actually, the outside cables upgrade would still bring improvements :wink:. But the biggest improvements would be from the drivers cables, and it makes Z7 transform....especially the soundstage, even modded th900 can't offer the soundstage that Z7 does under this upgrade. It is worth every pennies to just upgrade the drivers cables prior to the main cables....you can do whatever though. Mine is solid silver, and I can't speak for other materials.

I can't attest to the z7 without the internal cable upgrade, but as a former th900 owner, with the cable upgrade, the z7 is, by memory (fwiw), definitely superior. I just can't get enough of these phones. :gs1000smile:

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #6,442 of 9,173
I can't attest to the z7 without the internal cable upgrade, but as a former th900 owner, with the cable upgrade, the z7 is, by memory (fwiw), definitely superior. I just can't get enough of these phones. :gs1000smile:

Not really superior, but to have them toes to toes = already saying that Z7 is a good headphones and full of potential . Eventhough it needs more works done :D. Speaking of what Z7 better than th900 = modem bass slams, sub-bass, soundstage.....th900 = better quality, quantity bass (wooly..subjective!), less slam and less sub-bass, but superior in details retrieval, trebles, speed, and less soundstage. Definitely different signature , and compliment each other's too well.

You can believe that, but there is no logic to back that up.

I don't talk out of belief....I talk out of facts that I heard and witnessed, and Z7 wouldn't be the first one with detachable cables that can see improvements by upgrading cables with the driver cables being stock. People even hear improvements with Kimber cables upgrades. You can believe what you want, skeptical all you want. I know what I witnessed, and you don't have to take my words for it

**IMO*** I refused to believe Upgraded Z7 to stand toes to toes to upgraded TH900....why ? Pricing factors, but it is clear to my experiences that these 2 with upgraded cables are toes to toes with different signature approach. Stock to stock, th900 is better

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #6,443 of 9,173
Which is why it makes no sense to me replace the outside connecting cables, without replacing the inside wiring and expecting any difference. BTW what AWG of the stock cable?

I do agree with this that the BIGGEST revelation would be to upgrade the internal and external headphone cabling.  However, those with experience of doing one without the other may have noticed improvements if they elevated their cable instead of moving horizontally.  But the biggest improvement would be to upgrade both areas of the cable.

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #6,444 of 9,173
Th900 bested Sony Z7 ? Depends on how you define better. IMO, each has it advantages and disadvantages. If possible, get both, modify both, because they compliment each other well enough as Z7 is enjoyment and th900 is addicting resolution.

From switching back and forth, after the Z7 off, and 900 on...Woa..this transparency, definitions, resolutions, trebles! Fatigue happens though, and can't blast too loud. Best for references and analyzing...picky on tracks
From 900 off and z7 on....Woa...this modern bass slams...musicality....relaxations....soundstage! 0 fatigue, can blast very loud. Best for entertainments for hours!

I don't see neither one best another. Only a matter of preferences and how you enjoy your music. I almost sold my Z7, but glad to have kept it, and would regret selling it

This is not my experience, just mentioning based on what a few other people had mentioned in the TH-900 Forum.  A few of the thoughts that stood out on the reviews that I read regarding the TH-900 was better layering of the music, better clarity, especially in the mids, better sub-bass.  I assume you have both HP?  If so, would you agree that the TH-900 excels the Z7 in these areas?

If you have a modded Z7, would you say that the modifications improved in these areas to make the Z7 more competitive with the TH-900?  Did you upgrade both your headphone wiring and internal headphone wiring of your Z7?  The Z7 was on my radar until I read about the TH-900.  However, now with the modifications, it seems to be back on my radar.  I may end up with both.  Not certain yet.  Too bad I cant find a place where I can audition both headphones.

If you have any experience with the Mr Speaker Ether Headphones with DUM Cable, what are your thoughts and how do they compare to the Z7 and TH-900?

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #6,445 of 9,173
This is not my experience, just mentioning based on what a few other people had mentioned in the TH-900 Forum.  A few of the thoughts that stood out on the reviews that I read regarding the TH-900 was better layering of the music, better clarity, especially in the mids, better sub-bass.  I assume you have both HP?  If so, would you agree that the TH-900 excels the Z7 in these areas?

If you have a modded Z7, would you say that the modifications improved in these areas to make the Z7 more competitive with the TH-900?  Did you upgrade both your headphone wiring and internal headphone wiring of your Z7?  The Z7 was on my radar until I read about the TH-900.  However, now with the modifications, it seems to be back on my radar.  I may end up with both.  Not certain yet.  Too bad I cant find a place where I can audition both headphones.

If you have any experience with the Mr Speaker Ether Headphones with DUM Cable, what are your thoughts and how do they compare to the Z7 and TH-900?

Yes sir, both headphones has solid silver cables to the drivers with detachable jacks and some acoustic dampening on the chambers. Stock form and th900 beats Z7 in all areas sir, just as exactly what you said. However after mods Z7 stands toes to toes with modded th900 and each has it advantages and disadvantages as I said above.

I do not have any experiences with Esther, so I don't know

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #6,446 of 9,173
I reckon you guys should start a separate thread about Z7 mods as we're starting to get complaints about the endless discussion of cables.

Edit: Please don't get personal in your comments. If you don't have anything constructive to add to a thread, please don't post. 
smile.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #6,447 of 9,173
  Please can you help me finding an XLR (4 pin) balanced cable for my Z7 ?
Merry Christmas !

@PETEREK modded my Sony/Kimber upgrade cable to 4 pin XLR...

And made me an adapter to go back to 1/4"....

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #6,449 of 9,173

And made me an adapter to go back to 1/4"....

Thanks for posting pics ButtUglyJeff.  How do the headphones sound now with these new cables?

Love your name by the way, as I have seen your name in other posts!!!

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #6,450 of 9,173

Property of lavricables

Look at this silver cables, is it beautiful enough for look ? Surely by my standard! The best of it is ? Solid-core pure silver, very flexible and easy to carry around. Good quality and is an absolute upgrade to the stock Z7. He is a long time head if member as well (lavricables)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171899128159

I totally vouch for him as I use it with ZX2 TRRS out to all 4 of my headphones, and I sure am loving it

So, due to the wonderful Holidays I received my cable later than I would have expected. K also added some 30cm of spare cable to do the internal re-cabling to the drivers. I am wondering if its actually long enough. We will soon see. 

I chose some very difficult songs to get my first impressions. The immediate change is bass. In 'FKA twigs' album 'LP1' I feel the bass is now more controlled and does not 'run away'. Its tight and feels better placed, spatially. The song 'Hours' has a fluttering bass, which I found difficult on all my phones. On the Z7 stock, it does sound good, but with the new cable it sounds more detailed and separate, where the very low following sub-bass is not muddy any longer and comes in very tight. 

I then played 'The Piano Guys' - Don't you worry child" to see whether the vocals improved. I didn't have such a good experience with vocals in this song, where some of the vocals were drawn away from the listener. Also the speed of this song seemed a challenge. I find some good improvements here and it sound so much more refined. I am wondering whether the improvements are down to TRRS or solid silver. I suppose the former.

Something interesting, with Yo-Yo Ma playing Bach's famous Praeludium I can hear his fingers tapping the board on the cello. Something I was not aware with the stock cable. So I listened again with the stock cable and they are there as well, but not as noticeable. This piece sound so much closer with the TRRS and I feel like I am in the room with him (but not necessarily next to him! Am I asking too much?)

On with another song, The Cystal Method feat. LeAnn Rimes - Grace. Better vocals, definitely. This was always my biggest problem, as the highs in her voice screetched at times. Much better and more controlled now. This song has a lot of highs that sound horrible on lower quality phones. 

I will try to find some time and courage to do the internal driver mod and give the cables some time to burn-in. I am personally still wondering about the burn-in of a cable. Maybe someone can provide some information about that.

One thing I also noticed was that the cable gave me some gain. Suddenly I have to dial down the volume, as this cable is so much louder than the stock cable. Again, this might be because of TRRS, not so sure the material would cause that.

I've spent 170EUR on the cable and it was totally worth it. My colleagues are more sceptical, but I had them do a listen between the two cables and even without much interest they could confirm the difference. 

Overall I am stoked. Also big thanks to Whitigir for recommending this fantastic product. Now I just need to explain this purchase to my wife (gulp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back