Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 12, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #6,376 of 9,173
If anyone is wanting to try out a Z7 in the states I'd be willing to send mine out for a demo. I'm selling it right now so it could be a demo and possibly buy program. I'll only do this with people that have a great trader feedback reputation and/or users that have been on the forum for years.

This pair has a 4-pin mini XLR connection (only one in the world as far as I know) so it can accept Audeze cables. PM if you're interested.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #6,377 of 9,173
  If anyone is wanting to try out a Z7 in the states I'd be willing to send mine out for a demo. I'm selling it right now so it could be a demo and possibly buy program. I'll only do this with people that have a great trader feedback reputation and/or users that have been on the forum for years.

This pair has a 4-pin mini XLR connection (only one in the world as far as I know) so it can accept Audeze cables. PM if you're interested.

can i ask what difference does this mod do compared to the original sound

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #6,378 of 9,173
can i ask what difference does this mod do compared to the original sound

Now, I know he upgraded his driver cables inside as well, and from my experiences of doing it my own, I know it does improve sound quality. However in his case and what cable he used ? I am not sure of how and what was improved. A sure thing is that stock cables were very thin and stranded copper.....any upgrade is an definite upgrade.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #6,380 of 9,173
Dec 12, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #6,381 of 9,173
  Hello
sorry for off topic.Will this cable be suitable for Sony MDR-z7?
Thanks.
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/accessories/connection-cable-audiophile-3m-balanced.html
Also I'm wonder about sinergy of Audio-GD NFB-1amp and Sony-z7?

Works just fine. But I should have turned the V281 down a bit before switching cable from the T1 to the Z7...

I'm wondering if anyone knows the price (US) of this cable,
and how it might compare with the dedicated Kimber Kable (unbal 1.2m)

Thanks,

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #6,383 of 9,173
I think I'm finally going to mod my pair. I bought everything I needed awhile ago but just haven't got around to doing it yet. Now that I have a HE-400i I want the bass of the Z7 to sound more cohesive because the 400i has such a clean sound to the bass but not the quantity of the Z7. I don't think its a better headphone than the Z7 just a bit more refined.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #6,385 of 9,173
  I'm wondering if anyone knows the price (US) of this cable,
and how it might compare with the dedicated Kimber Kable (unbal 1.2m)

Thanks,

The Beyer cable can be found at the Beyer US site:
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/connection-cable-audiophile-3m-balanced.html

Its price is given as $145,-, so quite a bit cheaper than in the EU where its €149,-

Its a nice sheeted cable of good quality (rather expensive copper wire and good connectors). The Kimber unbalanced is obviously much shorter (don't know if an unbalanced longer one exists, mine is the 1,2m for portable usage). The Beyer cable has XL4, the Kimber uses either one (unbalanced version) or two (balanced version) 3,5mm connectors. It does look pretty but is stiffer than the Beyer cable.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #6,386 of 9,173

The Beyer cable can be found at the Beyer US site:
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/connection-cable-audiophile-3m-balanced.html

Its price is given as $145,-, so quite a bit cheaper than in the EU where its €149,-

Its a nice sheeted cable of good quality (rather expensive copper wire and good connectors). The Kimber unbalanced is obviously much shorter (don't know if an unbalanced longer one exists, mine is the 1,2m for portable usage). The Beyer cable has XL4, the Kimber uses either one (unbalanced version) or two (balanced version) 3,5mm connectors. It does look pretty but is stiffer than the Beyer cable.

Thanks for the info.

At $145, it approaches the $229 cost of the Kimber.
I was thinking that it might be a substantially less expensive
alternative to the Kimber.  Evidently not.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #6,387 of 9,173

Thanks for the info.

At $145, it approaches the $229 cost of the Kimber.
I was thinking that it might be a substantially less expensive
alternative to the Kimber.  Evidently not.

While its a bit of a vanity problem 150,- / 200,- is not that bad for a nice looking and well made cable... in the case of Beyerdynamic I know that they make them in rather small batches since they expect not to sell that many. So its much time intensive hand work and rather expensive parts (cable as well as connectors). I guess the stranded Kimber cable is even harder to work with, so I think the price is not as outrageous as with many other cable offerings.

Still the included standard cables are fine I think. And keep in mind that both Kimber options are shorter than the standard cable or the Beyer option.

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #6,388 of 9,173
Well, Z7 has better bass and rumbles, soundstage when compares to th900, the Z7 has slower bass but with more energy less instructive trebles spikes. I have both upgraded with solid silver cables, and while in stock form th900 will impress much more than stock Z7. But z7 with upgraded silver and cup chambers dampened, it will be just a matter of taste between the 2. They stand toes to toes.

Th900 has better transparency and splashy trebles, organic tones on classic strings and brass instruments, while Z7 has modern feel of EDM, synthetic bass slams, and or plastic large drums. I was about to sell my Z7, but I am just going to keep it.

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #6,389 of 9,173

While its a bit of a vanity problem 150,- / 200,- is not that bad for a nice looking and well made cable... in the case of Beyerdynamic I know that they make them in rather small batches since they expect not to sell that many. So its much time intensive hand work and rather expensive parts (cable as well as connectors). I guess the stranded Kimber cable is even harder to work with, so I think the price is not as outrageous as with many other cable offerings.

Still the included standard cables are fine I think. And keep in mind that both Kimber options are shorter than the standard cable or the Beyer option.

Thanks again

I've got to disagree with you about the Kimber compared wth the stock (included) cable.
I think the Kimber (1.2m) really changes the sound for the better.  Tightens the bass,
causes a smoother and more homogenous presentation, and widens the soundstage.
It's also better than the Surf Cables silver plated copper which I was using.

Sure, they're cables and everyone has their take > expectation bias, placebo effect,
use double blind testing only...but I go with what I hear.  

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #6,390 of 9,173
Thanks again

I've got to disagree with you about the Kimber compared wth the stock (included) cable.
I think the Kimber (1.2m) really changes the sound for the better.  Tightens the bass,
causes a smoother and more homogenous presentation, and widens the soundstage.
It's also better than the Surf Cables silver plated copper which I was using.

Sure, they're cables and everyone has their take > expectation bias, placebo effect,
use double blind testing only...but I go with what I hear.  

I agreed, and we all hear different things, but I am on agreement with all of your points regarding the improvements on the Z7. If you have heard that, then you would also hear the sound-stage being much widened and surrounding you even further with upgraded inner drivers cables. Especially with solid silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back