Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 8, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #6,046 of 9,173
I've read a lot of posts on this thread and I'm still not sure id these headphones are for me. I already have beyerdynamic dt880, sennheiser hd650 and hifiman he500. I'm looking for a fun closed headphone complement those I already have. Do the mdr-z7 fit the bill?

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #6,047 of 9,173
I've read a lot of posts on this thread and I'm still not sure id these headphones are for me. I already have beyerdynamic dt880, sennheiser hd650 and hifiman he500. I'm looking for a fun closed headphone complement those I already have. Do the mdr-z7 fit the bill?

The Z7 is quite different from everything you own right now, so it would make your inventory about as diverse as it could possibly be.

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #6,052 of 9,173
Finally pulled the tigger on a pair. They are coming tomorrow can't wait. Does anyone have a good Spotify playlist I can follow to test them out? Thanks.

Try these tracks:​

Steely Dan: Negative Girl
Dead Can Dance: Nierika
Thievery Corporation: Revolution Solution
Chemical Brothers: Under Neon Lights
Adham Shaikai: Sub Bubble (original Mix)
Skrillex: Stranger
Holy Cole: One Trick Pony
Tool: Jambi
Queen: Radio Gaga
Deadmau5: Alone With You
Phutureprimitive: Spanish Fly
Bluetech: Leaving Winter Behind

I will guarantee you that all of those tracks will really show you the abilities of the Z7, plus these are killer tunes. Trust me dude, I promise you that small list will put a big smile on your face.

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #6,054 of 9,173
They sounded great until now ( z3 player)
With my new pono in balanced mode ( after a quite long break in)
Its absolutely out of this world
No words...

My MDR-Z7 and PHA 3 arrived at my doorstep this morning. Using the balanced option in the PHA 3, the sound is just marvelous!
I 100% recommend using the Z7s in balanced mode. The sound is truly amazing!
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #6,055 of 9,173

My MDR-Z7 and PHA 3 arrived at my doorstep this morning. Using the balanced option in the PHA 3, the sound is just marvelous!
I 100% recommend using the Z7s in balanced mode. The sound is truly amazing!
biggrin.gif

I​ used a PHA 3 Z7 combination and totally agree, but I think it is simply the extra power as opposed to balanced versus unbalanced connection. Anyway, enjoy, that is a sick combination.

Oct 10, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #6,056 of 9,173

I​ used a PHA 3 Z7 combination and totally agree, but I think it is simply the extra power as opposed to balanced versus unbalanced connection. Anyway, enjoy, that is a sick combination.

Its definitely an awesome combo!

Btw, I see you're a fellow BlackBerry User! So rare to see one haha, I use a Z30 myself. I don't know if you are aware of this but blackberry phones are capable of true variable line out. Attach a headphone to the lead and change the volume of the phone. The top of the phone screen on the status bar it should show  - headphones volume and volumebar

If you attach the leap to an amp using a 3.5 mm line out cable and try changing the phone volume, notice what it shows on the phone. Line out Volume and volume bar showing your current volume Ergo variable line out, so its not double amping! I plan to use my Z5 this way, phone to amp to Z5 :)

It works on my Z30 so it should work on your Leap as well. The Z30 does usb audio out, and it work with my FiiO E17 perfectly. if the leap supports OTG give it a shot!

Sorry to be so OT but I thought I should mention it!

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #6,058 of 9,173

Its definitely an awesome combo!

Btw, I see you're a fellow BlackBerry User! So rare to see one haha, I use a Z30 myself. I don't know if you are aware of this but blackberry phones are capable of true variable line out. Attach a headphone to the lead and change the volume of the phone. The top of the phone screen on the status bar it should show  - headphones volume and volumebar

If you attach the leap to an amp using a 3.5 mm line out cable and try changing the phone volume, notice what it shows on the phone. Line out Volume and volume bar showing your current volume Ergo variable line out, so its not double amping! I plan to use my Z5 this way, phone to amp to Z5 :)

It works on my Z30 so it should work on your Leap as well. The Z30 does usb audio out, and it work with my FiiO E17 perfectly. if the leap supports OTG give it a shot!

Sorry to be so OT but I thought I should mention it!

Thanks buddy, very cool I will try this. It is sad how few people realize that BlackBerry phones and the OS are so good! I was considering an LG, but Android is really not that great so beyond a nice camera no reason to switch.

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #6,059 of 9,173
Thanks buddy, very cool I will try this. It is sad how few people realize that BlackBerry phones and the OS are so good! I was considering an LG, but Android is really not that great so beyond a nice camera no reason to switch.

Android is xit for security and performance period. Even audio quality will fall under the same cat. If not without the helps from the engineers to do it correctly. I would trust Blackberry and Apple first for security purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back