Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #5,191 of 9,173
My Z7 arrived from Canada's NCIX.com.
Listened immediately with Chord Hugo with Sony unbalanced cables (good quality).  First song was Adele's Set Fire To The Rain.  The intro was solid in the low end.  Then the build up in strings filled the head to slightly above and sweetly beyond both ears.  So, in just one song, I am thrilled with the Z7.  I am wearing it at the 9 notch on the sliders.
The cups are as comfortable as the TH900.  More so than HD800.  Stays on my size 7.875 hat sized head well.  No wire microphonics and the Sony jack goes into my Hugo and the iPhone 6 plus with extra battery case with ease.
Serial number etched in the the chrome is class!  Made in Japan. Listening to 中森明菜 now.

I was wondering if they were ever going to arrive! I am still extremely pleased with mine, especially in balanced mode with my PHA 3. If my LCD-X were as comfortable and light as the Sony Z7, (they aren't as you well know) I'd be inclined to use those exclusively and sell the Sony Z7, but for now the Z7 is my go to headphone. I'm sure you will really happy with yours. Enjoy!

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #5,192 of 9,173
Well around 3 days in with the Z7 and I'm loving them more and more each day. I didn't think I was going to like these as much as I do over my beloved HD600 but they sound so much more dynamic and full compared to the Senn's.

The bass, mids and highs all sound great but one of my favorite aspects of the Z7's sound is the soundstage and 3D presentation. They sound every bit as open as the HD600 with better depth and the 3D presentation is oh so nice especially with electronic music.

Now the amp I use is a Schiit Vali which sounds great but does the PHA-3 really make them sound that much better? I'm thinking of getting an new amp/dac but I think at around $900 give or take is a bit much for PHA-3.

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #5,193 of 9,173
 I'm thinking of getting an new amp/dac but I think at around $900 give or take is a bit much for PHA-3.

Your paying extra for the portability, small-footprint and all in one unit as well as the very good sound quality. You could I'm sure save a little, but I am sure you would make some compromises elsewhere in terms of portability, quality of construction etc. I think at full retail the PHA 3 isn't the very best, but as it can be found at lower street values used and asking retailers for the best price you should be able to save at least $100 from the retail cost.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #5,194 of 9,173
 I'm thinking of getting an new amp/dac but I think at around $900 give or take is a bit much for PHA-3.

Your paying extra for the portability, small-footprint and all in one unit as well as the very good sound quality. You could I'm sure save a little, but I am sure you would make some compromises elsewhere in terms of portability, quality of construction etc. I think at full retail the PHA 3 isn't the very best, but as it can be found at lower street values used and asking retailers for the best price you should be able to save at least $100 from the retail cost.

I picked mine up for $799 from Amazon (UTM was the vender) and I'm very happy with the way it pairs with the Z7 in balanced mode. Still pricy but better than the $999 list price.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #5,195 of 9,173

Unfortunately, this discontinued headphone does not have a free service manual online.  I did place a request to Sony USA for one just now.
I also found a 3rd party selling it for $7.50 
http://www.manualuniverse.com/manager/products/manual.asp?codigo=911628&shwBt=0&xpageG=93&xmdelG=MDR-MA900&xmrcG=184

That's more expensive than some 3rd party offering a pad that may fit the MDR-MA900
http://www.amazon.com/Jntworld-Professional-Overhead-Foldable-Headphones/dp/B00AN5T72E/ref=as_sl_pd_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wsw&tag=billyccom-20

Hope this helps.

I got my used MA900 yesterday. The Z7 got a lot of the M900 genes I feel. Both complement each other very well. Sony should not have discontinued the MDR-MA900 so soon. I hope they plan to have the Z7 around for a longer period of time.
To the replacement pad, I prefer the original ones. Each and evey different pad will alter the sound. I would not want that with those cans.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #5,196 of 9,173
I picked mine up for $799 from Amazon (UTM was the vender) and I'm very happy with the way it pairs with the Z7 in balanced mode. Still pricy but better than the $999 list price.

I've looked around and found them under $800 new and cheaper for some used ones but I'm hesitant to buy right now. There's a few options I'm looking at and I'm in no hurry as my current setup still sounds good.

Also does anyone else think the Z7's highs open up and sound more crisp after having listened to them for a little while? To me they definitely have a bit more sparkle to them now then they did in the beginning. Never been one to believe much into the burn-in theory but I know the treble sound better than it did, doesn't it?

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #5,197 of 9,173
Also does anyone else think the Z7's highs open up and sound more crisp after having listened to them for a little while? To me they definitely have a bit more sparkle to them now then they did in the beginning. Never been one to believe much into the burn-in theory but I know the treble sound better than it did, doesn't it?

They do not change much, you get used to their signature. Your brain then brings up the details that are there after getting used to them. It is like going out at a moon less night. First you are nearly blind, then you adopt to the darkness an the details begin to get visible. That is how our senses work to help us to survive.I read a review on Amazon.de where someone prefers Bayerdynamic and Ultrasone cans over the Z7 because it is to dark sounding to his ears. I had the cans that he prefers. I would never go back to those. The have very pronounced treble that cause ringing in my ears. To each his own....

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #5,198 of 9,173

I got my used MA900 yesterday. The Z7 got a lot of the M900 genes I feel. Both complement each other very well. Sony should not have discontinued the MDR-MA900 so soon. I hope they plan to have the Z7 around for a longer period of time.
To the replacement pad, I prefer the original ones. Each and evey different pad will alter the sound. I would not want that with those cans.

Regarding the pads, I like the foam pads of the Grados the most.  They have the lightest pressure on the head.  My ears never feel warm even after a flight from New York to LA.  On the negative side, they are big and everyone hear what I am playing.  Leather pads feel great for short listens.  The stuff like cloth or velour as in the Audio Technica and Sennheiser are light like the Grado and can be worn longer without getting hot.  One big negative is that they do not last long.  I replaced my HD800 pads twice already.

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #5,199 of 9,173
a fairly recent review of the Z7

http://headfonics.com/2015/06/the-mdr-z7-by-sony/

"Sony has done a very good job in creating a very musical and fun headphone here, I’ve found myself enjoying this set for extended periods of time and through pretty much every application I can think of.  Gaming to Jazz, films to Metal: the Z7 is a genre master, no doubt about it.  Those who love musicality and fun should feel right as rain here and need to demo this headphone as soon as possible, but critical listeners should avoid it at all costs. "

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #5,200 of 9,173
comparing it to the Foste
x TH600

"It is very hard for me to go back to the TH600 after listening to the Z7 and as much as I adore the TH600, it just isn’t quite up to par with the Sony in this case."

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #5,201 of 9,173
comparing it to the Foste[COLOR=808080]x TH600[/COLOR]

[COLOR=808080]"It is very hard for me to go back to the TH600 after listening to the Z7 and as much as I adore the TH600, it just isn’t quite up to par with the Sony in this case."[/COLOR]

As I used to own the TH600 before, I can say technically the TH600 is a better headphone, but musically, the Z7 suits my taste better.
If my music taste are EDM, techno, etc, I would have kept the TH600

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #5,202 of 9,173
  a fairly recent review of the Z7

http://headfonics.com/2015/06/the-mdr-z7-by-sony/

"Sony has done a very good job in creating a very musical and fun headphone here, I’ve found myself enjoying this set for extended periods of time and through pretty much every application I can think of.  Gaming to Jazz, films to Metal: the Z7 is a genre master, no doubt about it.  Those who love musicality and fun should feel right as rain here and need to demo this headphone as soon as possible, but critical listeners should avoid it at all costs. "

I think that guy needs to learn some things:
  1. the headband design of the MDR-Z7 is a positive feature to some, if not most MDR-Z7 owners. It is not worth to fill so much space in a review with his opinion about it. It does its job and it does it well, to hold the cups together on one's noggin. I find it pretty and well engineered.
  2. The sound is not slow anywhere not in the bass, not in the mids and not in the treble. The sound is pure magic, a magic that we are missing in a lot of the so called High End gear. They (Sony)did this sound on purpose and no they do not have a problem with any different sounding headphone. If you don't want to take off a headphone, then it does everything right, nothing wrong.
  3. The price maybe MidFi, but the value you get is whatever you consider it to be, for me it is endgame.

He is still debating with himself that he lost his precious, Gollum.....

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #5,203 of 9,173

I think that guy needs to learn some things:
  1. the headband design of the MDR-Z7 is a positive feature to some, if not most MDR-Z7 owners. It is not worth to fill so much space in a review with his opinion about it. It does its job and it does it well, to hold the cups together on one's noggin. I find it pretty and well engineered.
  2. The sound is not slow anywhere not in the bass, not in the mids and not in the treble. The sound is pure magic, a magic that we are missing in a lot of the so called High End gear. They (Sony)did this sound on purpose and no they do not have a problem with any different sounding headphone. If you don't want to take off a headphone, then it does everything right, nothing wrong.
  3. The price maybe MidFi, but the value you get is whatever you consider it to be, for me it is endgame.

He is still debating with himself that he lost his precious, Gollum.....

I didn't find it slow either. I'm not sure what magic you feel is missing with other headphones, but as nice as the Z7 is, and it is very nice, it is not a giant beater. The HE 560 is extremely enjoyable and I felt it was the better headphone across the board and the TH 900 is most certainly extremely nice and I can't think of anything the Z7 beats it at (unless somebody prefers treble a little softer which is understandable). I am going to bet within a year you have another headphone that you prefer over the Z7. That won't be a knock on the Z7, but endgame, not likely, there will always be something that you try and prefer. That is just the nature of this hobby.

Jun 28, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #5,204 of 9,173

Regarding the pads, I like the foam pads of the Grados the most.  They have the lightest pressure on the head.  My ears never feel warm even after a flight from New York to LA.  On the negative side, they are big and everyone hear what I am playing.  Leather pads feel great for short listens.  The stuff like cloth or velour as in the Audio Technica and Sennheiser are light like the Grado and can be worn longer without getting hot.  One big negative is that they do not last long.  I replaced my HD800 pads twice already.

subtle, simple, effective design from Grado.

Jun 28, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #5,205 of 9,173

I didn't find it slow either. I'm not sure what magic you feel is missing with other headphones, but as nice as the Z7 is, and it is very nice, it is not a giant beater. The HE 560 is extremely enjoyable and I felt it was the better headphone across the board and the TH 900 is most certainly extremely nice and I can't think of anything the Z7 beats it at (unless somebody prefers treble a little softer which is understandable). I am going to bet within a year you have another headphone that you prefer over the Z7. That won't be a knock on the Z7, but endgame, not likely, there will always be something that you try and prefer. That is just the nature of this hobby.

It's been said often that it's not a giant beater, but who ever put it on that pedestal?
(Besides ourselves, and perhaps Nomax way back when.
smile.gif
.)

IMO it's not entirely "fair" to  compare it with the more expensive and orthodynamic 560.
It's a dynamic headphone and sounds like it.  Sounds like live music at venues
whose PA's are filled with dynamic drivers....tho' not denying the brilliant sound of
the upper level Oppo, Audeze, HiFiMan and other ortho's

Also, the last time I looked, the TH900 was $1260.  $500.00 (plus) more than the Z7.
It should sound better.

Finally. slightly OT,  I bought some cables from a small West Coast firm named Surf Cables, who've
been mentioned in this thread.  Silver on super quality copper at a bargain price.

For $70.00, they render a really substantial improvement to the Z7's.  More so
than the Kimber Kables (which I auditioned here at home and returned.  Sony
was great to deal with, BTW.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back