Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5,176 of 9,173
amp and source definitely change the sound of the Z7 which may explain why so many varying reports. I recently got a Pono and am now listening to the Z7 in balanced mode and they sound leaner and more articulate than out of my other sources and amps.

I also think the sq out of the Z7 depends highly from the source that you use it with. With almost all my gear (the excellent Chord Hugo included) the Z7 doesn't really impress me, it just sounds OK to my ears...nothing special. But balanced out of the Pono player it scales up in an unbelievable way. If I didn't have the Pono, I probably would have sold the Z7 already...

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #5,177 of 9,173
If you want to sell it inside the EU, I can help you to get rid of this worthless headphone.
:smiling_imp:

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #5,178 of 9,173
As long as I have a Pono player, my Z7 won't go anywhere
tongue.gif

Btw, I would never call it ''worthless'' myself. I only think it doesn't deliver such great sq out of the rest of my gear...the difference with balanced from Pono is huge imo...

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #5,179 of 9,173
I used my Z7 balanced from the Sony PHA 3 and it was very nice indeed. If it had a little better sub bass you know I think I would have kept it.

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #5,181 of 9,173
Does anyone know, where one can buy Sony replacement earpads for the MDR-Z7?

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #5,182 of 9,173
  Does anyone know, where one can buy Sony replacement earpads for the MDR-Z7?

You need to call Sony Germany for the Sony Parts order department.  I only have the number for the USA division.
The parts to order is listed here:
https://docs.sony.com/release/MDSM/989605201_sm.pdf

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #5,183 of 9,173
Jun 22, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #5,184 of 9,173
Just picked up my Z7 and wow I am really digging the sound sig and comfort. Initial impressions:

Mids are extremely well done whilst bass feels controlled with that subtle punch I love. Treble is rolled off as described by many reviews which is something that doesn't bother me at all. 

Sound isolation isn't as great as I expected however still better than open-backed headphones however still keeping the sound stage in tact. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #5,185 of 9,173
Just picked up my Z7 and wow I am really digging the sound sig and comfort. Initial impressions:

Mids are extremely well done whilst bass feels controlled with that subtle punch I love. Treble is rolled off as described by many reviews which is something that doesn't bother me at all. 

Sound isolation isn't as great as I expected however still better than open-backed headphones however still keeping the sound stage in tact. 

Great, also the Z7 opens up nicely with good power. What gear do you use it with?

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #5,186 of 9,173
Great, also the Z7 opens up nicely with good power. What gear do you use it with?

I do with there was a standard for people stating what gear they are using when they evaluate a set of headphones.  The Z7 is a great example of a headphone with reviews covering a broad spectrum of positive and negative.  Sure, some of it is personal taste, but they are going to be sound very different when plugged into an iPhone versus a quality headphone amp via balanced connections.  To their credit, they are very versatile headphones, but it's hard to say the "lack bass" when you drive them from an iPhone.

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #5,187 of 9,173
My Z7 arrived from Canada's NCIX.com.
Listened immediately with Chord Hugo with Sony unbalanced cables (good quality).  First song was Adele's Set Fire To The Rain.  The intro was solid in the low end.  Then the build up in strings filled the head to slightly above and sweetly beyond both ears.  So, in just one song, I am thrilled with the Z7.  I am wearing it at the 9 notch on the sliders.
The cups are as comfortable as the TH900.  More so than HD800.  Stays on my size 7.875 hat sized head well.  No wire microphonics and the Sony jack goes into my Hugo and the iPhone 6 plus with extra battery case with ease.
Serial number etched in the the chrome is class!  Made in Japan. Listening to 中森明菜 now.

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #5,188 of 9,173
  You need to call Sony Germany for the Sony Parts order department.  I only have the number for the USA division.
The parts to order is listed here:
https://docs.sony.com/release/MDSM/989605201_sm.pdf

Hi Paul,
can you do the same trick for the MDR-MA900 please? I have it incoming and I cannot get to the service manuals on the Sony site....

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #5,189 of 9,173

Hi Paul,
can you do the same trick for the MDR-MA900 please? I have it incoming and I cannot get to the service manuals on the Sony site....

Unfortunately, this discontinued headphone does not have a free service manual online.  I did place a request to Sony USA for one just now.
I also found a 3rd party selling it for $7.50 
http://www.manualuniverse.com/manager/products/manual.asp?codigo=911628&shwBt=0&xpageG=93&xmdelG=MDR-MA900&xmrcG=184

That's more expensive than some 3rd party offering a pad that may fit the MDR-MA900
http://www.amazon.com/Jntworld-Professional-Overhead-Foldable-Headphones/dp/B00AN5T72E/ref=as_sl_pd_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wsw&tag=billyccom-20

Hope this helps.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #5,190 of 9,173

Running off my Fiio E17K + E9i at the moment.

Does a stellar job and really liking the mids / bass response on them to my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back