Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
May 13, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #4,981 of 9,173
Here is a direct quote from Sony's PR materials:

Additionally, Sony is introducing the MUC-S20BL1, MUC-S30UM1 and MUC-S12SM1 cables all use a multi-gauge conductor and twisted pair cable structure which twist hot and cold signal lines with each other, resulting in a reduced loss of signal transmission. The influence of the current noise caused by external magnetic fluxes that go through the cable is also reduced through this twisted pair structure, resulting in High-Resolution sound with a sense of presence. These Sony cables utilize a 2-layer conductor composed of silver-coated OFC (Oxygen Free Copper), resulting in smooth high note frequency reproduction that minimizes signal transmission loss

Yes, it's my understanding that the stock cable for the Z7 is silver plated copper.
However, it's my further understanding that the Kimber Kable for the Z7 (MUC-B20BL1) is 

"plain" OFC copper, not silver plated.

http://store.sony.com/high-performance-balanced-audio-cable-for-mdr-z7-zid27-MUCB20BL1/cat-27-catid-All-Portable-Audio-Cables

I just bought the Kimber Kable from Sony, and I'm very much looking forward to hearing 
an improvement in sound quality. (If not, they have a 30 day money back guarantee.)

The Sony site says copper, but the PR materials say silver coated copper. I have emailed Kimber Kable directly for a definitive answer.

Here is the response I received from Kimber:

Thank you very much for your email. For detailed information on this cable, please visit Sony’s website. The cable is a pure copper cable with no silver plating.

Please let us know fi you have any further questions.

Kimber Kable Support Team

Kimber Kable
2752 S 1900 W
Ogden, UT 84401
www.kimber.com

So--it's copper only!!

May 13, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #4,982 of 9,173

Thank you very much for your email. For detailed information on this cable, please visit Sony’s website. The cable is a pure copper cable with no silver plating.

Kimber Kable
2752 S 1900 W
Ogden, UT 84401
www.kimber.com

So--it's copper only!!

Kind of makes you wonder about all the reports of big differences from the stock cable doesn't it? They are both copper but the Sony has a little silver so you would assume they would be extremely similar.

May 13, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #4,983 of 9,173
I remember reading that the Kimber is 8-strand vs. the stock's 4-strand.

That, and a higher quality copper (I assume), may be why the Kimber sounds better.

But I think most any 3rd party or aftermarket cable (likely having thicker gauge wires) would sound better than stock. Stock is so flexible by comparison. Even the cheapest ($60) silver-plated copper cable from Surf sounded better but it had almost no flexibility.

May 13, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #4,984 of 9,173
Just ordered my MDR-Z7 with the authorized USA northeast regional distributor.  It's back ordered but about 2 weeks ETA.
Also the balanced Kimber "copper" cable and the Sony PHA3 amp.  These two ships tomorrow.

Looking forwards to using it both with Hugo and Sony NW-ZX2 individually and together.

Thanks to all the great reads.

May 13, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #4,985 of 9,173
Just ordered my MDR-Z7 with the authorized USA northeast regional distributor.  It's back ordered but about 2 weeks ETA.
Also the balanced Kimber "copper" cable and the Sony PHA3 amp.  These two ships tomorrow.

Looking forwards to using it both with Hugo and Sony NW-ZX2 individually and together.

Thanks to all the great reads.

I'll be interested to hear your comments about the PHA 3/MDR-Z7/Kimber combination. The stock balanced cable seems very adequate to me but I'm keeping an open mind about a cable upgrade.

May 13, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #4,986 of 9,173
I'll be interested to hear your comments about the PHA 3/MDR-Z7/Kimber combination. The stock balanced cable seems very adequate to me but I'm keeping an open mind about a cable upgrade.

True, but the listening tests really have to be blind. I have NEVER heard of anybody in all the years here report an upgraded cable as not sounding better. Not once. So given how unlikely that result actually is, it would be refreshing to have some blind listening tests. Now if anybody does this, they need help and you need a way to make sure the physical difference in the cables can't be felt anywhere on your body.

May 13, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #4,987 of 9,173

Kind of makes you wonder about all the reports of big differences from the stock cable doesn't it? They are both copper but the Sony has a little silver so you would assume they would be extremely similar.

Not trying to be contentious, just honestly wondering why you would assume that -
to me it seems that they're substantially different from each other..

May 13, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #4,988 of 9,173

Kimber Kable
2752 S 1900 W
Ogden, UT 84401
www.kimber.com

So--it's copper only!!

Thanks for following through on that!

May 13, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #4,989 of 9,173

Not trying to be contentious, just honestly wondering why you would assume that -
to me it seems that they're substantially different from each other..

I'm not entirely sure they are that different, but I would be arrogant to suggest I know they aren't. However, copper is copper, and if I'm not mistaken they are both essentially the same type of copper (although I'm going by memory so freely admit I could be wrong). The main difference seems to be the number of cores (ultimately the thickness and the Sony has some amount of silver).

I'm a cable agnostic who wants to believe in these differences, really I do. Nothing would make me happier than knowing there is a final tweak with audible differences. I stop short of saying this isn't possible as I just don't know enough about metallurgy and conductance and related principles to truly have a definitive position. I think I make the type of posts I do as people ALWAYS report a positive difference, even if minimal, and I can't recall a single blind test being done. Surely somebody could bother to compare the stock versus an upgrade in a blind listening test. It really wouldn't be hard to do.

With my amp I can't but if I could I would. So try to understand I'm not trying to be a buzz kill or tell people they are wasting their money, far from it; but I am saying we can't really have confidence in uncontrolled, sighted listening tests either.

May 13, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #4,992 of 9,173

Could you expand on that thought a bit?

I found the combination to be very nice. I guess it is that difficult to describe quality about sound. Sony would voice their products to really compliment each other, the tuning would be optimal. I found the Z7s sounded very balanced and solid with the PHA 3. Everything about the combination was excellent, the volume seemed just right, there was no glare to the treble, the mids were very nice and in general I thought the combination was really musical with anything I through at it. Ultimately I think it would come down to the fact that in all likelihood Sony products are voiced to compliment each other very well. It isn't that the Z7s would sound much different out of a similar amp/dac, I'm sure there would be many great pairings, but the PHA 3 just seems to mesh so nicely with the Z7.

I'm sorry I can't be more clear, I know I'm using rather vague descriptors, but since I sold both the PHA 3 and Z7 it is hard to be more detailed. If you're considering the combination it is not hard to imagine you liking it very much. There will always be somebody who says that something else is better, but we just can't own all the gear so we have to pick something and if you have to pick a combination the PHA 3 and Z7 is certainly nothing to sneeze at, damn nice gear if you ask me.

May 14, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #4,994 of 9,173

You quoted me (just above) but interjected language into the quote without noting you did so.

Please edit the quote to return it as it was originally.

Thanks

Further, after reading your post, I'm confused as to whether the Kimber is or isn't silver plated.
Did you find a definitive answer to that?

LOL Sorry My bad... 

I was on the way when I was writing that post. 

On the product page of the Kimber cable on Sony Korea's webpage says that it is indeed silver coated, however, in the manual of my Kimber cable only says that it is OFC.

And since gadget67 got confirmed by Kimber that is it just copper only, my post was useless.

The fact that Kimber is only copper makes me want to really jump on that pure silver cable by Surf Cables. 

May 14, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #4,995 of 9,173
  LOL Sorry My bad... 

I was on the way when I was writing that post. 

On the product page of the Kimber cable on Sony Korea's webpage says that it is indeed silver coated, however, in the manual of my Kimber cable only says that it is OFC.

And since gadget67 got confirmed by Kimber that is it just copper only, my post was useless.

The fact that Kimber is only copper makes me want to really jump on that pure silver cable by Surf Cables. 

I don't see that the cable from Surf is pure silver.  They state repeatedly on their site that it's silver plated copper.

For example: "Our cables feature two pairs of twisted MIL spec/ Aerospace wire.  The wire is stranded copper, each strand silver plated, and each conductor insulated with Teflon.  Cardas silver, lead free solder is used to terminate these cables into the connector of your selection.  Heavy duty cables of superior conductivity with quality parts lead to better sound."

http://www.surfcables.com/collections/surfcables-silver-teflon-headphone-cables/products/sony-mdr-z7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back