Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Apr 19, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #4,862 of 9,173
Just be happy you're not Australian, the price went up 4months from release from $799 to $999, lol.

Crazy prices indeed
eek.gif

If you're looking for one, just keep checking the classifieds on hf...they pop up over there regularly for around $400
beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #4,866 of 9,173
  Aussies can just import, the chances of having to use your warranty on headphones is very slim. DWI was selling the Z7 for AUD $549 shipped a few weeks ago, but its currently at $599 shipped.

DWI switch a bait a lot, after you pay your purchase, they'd turn around and say that the price was an error and ask you to cough up another $50 or they won't ship. They've done this to me several times. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #4,867 of 9,173
Hi, I´m new to this forums. Though have been reading a lot - and have been reading a lot especially in the 300+ pages of this thread... but could not find the answer - sorry if this has been answered before. So here´s my question:

Does the MDR-Z7 work properly with the Walkman ZX1? In other words: Is the amp in the ZX1 strong enough to drive the Z7 headphones for full sound quality or do I need an additional HP amp, eg the Sony PHA-3?

Thx a lot!

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #4,868 of 9,173
Hi, I´m new to this forums. Though have been reading a lot - and have been reading a lot especially in the 300+ pages of this thread... but could not find the answer - sorry if this has been answered before. So here´s my question:

Does the MDR-Z7 work properly with the Walkman ZX1? In other words: Is the amp in the ZX1 strong enough to drive the Z7 headphones for full sound quality or do I need an additional HP amp, eg the Sony PHA-3?

Thx a lot!
I don't understand why people wants to combinate a portable player with headphones you usually only use in your home. System. Portable players are mostly meant to use with in or on ears, but not over ears that cost a fortune.

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #4,869 of 9,173
I don't understand why people wants to combinate a portable player with headphones you usually only use in your home. System. Portable players are mostly meant to use with in or on ears, but not over ears that cost a fortune.

Well, of course everybody has his own opinion and preference on this
rolleyes.gif

I think the Z7 out of my Pono player in balanced mode sounds better than when I connect it to my home rig with tube amplifier. Besides that I can walk around the house (3 floors) with it when I'm cleaning or I can listen to music with great sq when doing the dishes or so, without disturbing my family (kids) with my music..outside the house I only/always use iems.

Concerning the costs: 2 of my 3 iems costed more than my Z7
blink.gif

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #4,870 of 9,173
Well, of course everybody has his own opinion and preference on this :rolleyes:

I think the Z7 out of my Pono player in balanced mode sounds better than when I connect it to my home rig with tube amplifier. Besides that I can walk around the house (3 floors) with it when I'm cleaning or I can listen to music with great sq when doing the dishes or so, without disturbing my family (kids) with my music..outside the house I only/always use iems.

Concerning the costs: 2 of my 3 iems costed more than my Z7 :blink:
Agree but it is not visible for example I use the Grado GR10, nobody will think of them as 400 dollar in ears, but you Sony looks luxury if wearing on the street, people get robbed for less these days

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #4,871 of 9,173

Thx a lot!

I think the MDR-1A is more for your situation...

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #4,872 of 9,173
I prefer using the portable player (the ZX1) at home - lying in my bed or on the sofa and enjoying music in high sound quality. With the mobile device I'm clearly more mobile than with a HP connected (and chained...) to my stereo device or HP amp. That's a clear advantage at home. I would not use the Z7 in the bus or somewhere else outside, but at home I´d like to listen to the best available sq with my walkman...

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #4,873 of 9,173
I use my Z7 with my LG G3 more often than my desktop rig at home. The desktop sounds better but I still love the Z7 with just my phone.

I can't say anything about the 1A but I prefer the Z7 out of my phone to the 1R out of my phone... At home anyway and then I use my Z5 for on the road :wink:

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #4,874 of 9,173

Thx a lot!

Of course the Z7 would benefit from proper (balanced) amping, but you'd be suprised how good it sounds straight from the ZX1. I certainly was.

I personally prefer a notch or two of extra ClearBass, maybe three. Or four. I prefer it that way possibly to compensate for the lack of power for those huge drivers, or maybe because I'm a closet (clear)bass head. Either way, it is definitely enjoyable.

But as always YMMV and if possible, try before you buy. :)

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #4,875 of 9,173

Thx a lot!

To answer your question to a degree as original reply to your question took it on a tangent is with a ZX1 from my experience with my Sony MDR-7520's there was not enough to drive them with authority for me leaving a weak anemic presentation and thought they would need amping but then tried the EQ trick where you stop the EQ setting in apps which gives the player more volume and headroom and could drive my 7520's no problem with some volume steps to spare.  It does change the SQ of the player doing this but for me it actually complimented my 7520's but at the same time made my JH16 ciems not sound to pleasant in this mode.  Grant you I do not have the Z7 but could do the job for you without having to use an external amp.  I rarely use my 7520's direct with the ZX1 but is nice to know the disengagement of the EQ setting in running apps lifts the DB's enough to use these cans with a bit of power and drive giving back their dynamics.  

Only thing might be without comparing the specs as I am writing this on the go is the Z7 does have a bigger 70mm driver is it to I think it is 50mm unit in my 7520 so could take more to drive this in an efficient manner. 

Hope it helps as this maybe, can only try it and see or shall I say hear how it goes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back