Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 10, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #4,261 of 9,173
  Flame war? Okay....being a bit dramatic there
Good to hear about the Kimber, I am very curious to hear it!

You're right, it might be overdramatic, heated debate then :)

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #4,266 of 9,173
I've enjoyed my z7 since the day I bought it... To the extent of putting it on for the entire day while listening to music and playing games on my computer to watching movies with it to lulling myself to sleep on my bed. My sound preference definitely lies towards slightly darker than neutral and so I kinda love this headphone. The next step for me is to upgrade the amplification and create a slight warmer mids and possibly expand the soundstage.. As for cable mods, the only reason why I would consider them is possibly for using it on a balanced set up ie terminating in XLR.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #4,268 of 9,173

No man, I'm not angry or anything.  I just find it amusing that something I've never given a second thought to and experienced over and over again for 30 years is considered by some to be "snake oil".  It boggles my mind.  You could have got those speaker wires made of ANY material and you chose $500 silver wire.  I hope you enjoy them! The NAD house sound is a bit dark, so the Silver wire should be a good match for the HE560, hope it's not too bright though...

You nailed it, the NAD is a little warm (but wonderfully so and not smeared) and that is why it is such a great match with the 560 which while I wouldn't call them bright, they are well extended for certain. I only went silver as by the time you are spending $350 the small extra difference is irrelevant. At the time Norne was out of stock on the less expensive cable option I would have been fine with so when offered the opportunity to move up in the line I took it as I had sold my headphone amp and had no way to enjoy my 560s. I do not think cables are snake oil. I have a healthy belief that they can make a difference, but I can't test this as of yet. I am always a proponent of both objective and subjective evidence and that is why I feel the blind testing is a valid approach. Anyway, enough cable talk, well mostly. I want to use my existing speaker tap with the Z7, but I will need to get an adapter made for the cup attachments now on that would allow me to go into the cups on the Z7. What style of plug goes into the Z7 cups?

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #4,269 of 9,173

You nailed it, the NAD is a little warm (but wonderfully so and not smeared) and that is why it is such a great match with the 560 which while I wouldn't call them bright, they are well extended for certain. I only went silver as by the time you are spending $350 the small extra difference is irrelevant. At the time Norne was out of stock on the less expensive cable option I would have been fine with so when offered the opportunity to move up in the line I took it as I had sold my headphone amp and had no way to enjoy my 560s. I do not think cables are snake oil. I have a healthy belief that they can make a difference, but I can't test this as of yet. I am always a proponent of both objective and subjective evidence and that is why I feel the blind testing is a valid approach. Anyway, enough cable talk, well mostly. I want to use my existing speaker tap with the Z7, but I will need to get an adapter made for the cup attachments now on that would allow me to go into the cups on the Z7. What style of plug goes into the Z7 cups?

Just an easy 3.5 mm jack

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #4,271 of 9,173
  @Rumiho

May I ask how the Z7 pairs with the HP-A4?

I have the HP-A4 and I am close to purchasing the Z7. I was not sure if the PHA-3 would be a necessity.

So far it sounds great and in my opinion pairs excellently, but do note this is the only dac/amp I've owned as I bought it to pair with my TH600's, so I have no other reference to compare against.

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #4,272 of 9,173
One thing I've noticed is that my Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 (that I thought i was getting rid of) sounds fantastic on the Z7! The mellow laid back presentation does wonders with some stuff you might not have been too hot on with past headphones.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #4,273 of 9,173
  So far it sounds great and in my opinion pairs excellently, but do note this is the only dac/amp I've owned as I bought it to pair with my TH600's, so I have no other reference to compare against.

Thank you for the information. The HP-A4 is my first desktop amp as well. At least I know I can get the Z7s without needing to upgrade my setup right away.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #4,274 of 9,173
Mine is 7948 :)

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #4,275 of 9,173
tried out the included silver plated copper (litz?) sony cable as a normal 3.5mm cable

it didnt work :frowning2:

so i guess it really does only have the 2 poles connected (balanced; hot and cold?), and no/not ground!

so the included cables are strictly PHA-3 (and pono) only!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back