Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 29, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3,736 of 9,173
Cable... and now linear power supply...

Well, at least Sony offers removable cables, relatively great growth potential and even modding possibility on Z7, not many competitors at this price range can do the same, and keep in mind the price of Z7 will be going down sooner or later which makes Z7 a even better candidate to consider for closed back headphones under $700 range.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #3,739 of 9,173
Or also the fiio e12? Really wondering if I can drive these with a portable amp under 200$. Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks

I ran them out of the Digizoid ZO and they sounded sublime. Definitely had enough power.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #3,740 of 9,173

Or also the fiio e12? Really wondering if I can drive these with a portable amp under 200$. Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks

I ran them out of the Digizoid ZO and they sounded sublime. Definitely had enough power.

I'm sure those amps will be drive the Z7 just fine.  However, you will need to run them balanced for optimum sound quality.  In singled end operation, I found the bass to be overdone and bleed into the midrange.  Running them balanced, the Z7 is cleaner sounding with less emphasis on the bass notes.  Lower frequencies are rendered deeper with better definition.  Soundstage is wider as well as deeper.  This is out of the PHA-3 by the way.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #3,742 of 9,173

I'm sure those amps will be drive the Z7 just fine.  However, you will need to run them balanced for optimum sound quality.  In singled end operation, I found the bass to be overdone and bleed into the midrange.  Running them balanced, the Z7 is cleaner sounding with less emphasis on the bass notes.  Lower frequencies are rendered deeper with better definition.  Soundstage is wider as well as deeper.  This is out of the PHA-3 by the way.

I think thats just the pairing, my PHA-1 sounds like a perfect match too.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #3,743 of 9,173
I am sure that it is a good pairing but the Pha3 is considerably better than the Pha2 on both SE and Balanced. you will thanks me later once you make an upgrade to the PHA3 from PHA1. Remember that the PHA3 and Z7 were voiced together and one of the biggest improvement going from PHA2 to 3 is the improvement in depth and width of soundstage as well as more power. Additionally you also gain bass depth, better sense of dynamics, as well as improvents in soundstage and imaging going from single-ended to balanced.

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #3,745 of 9,173
  Does any one know about a shop in europe that would ship mdr-z7 to Poland and has good price? (good so around 400 euro).

Hey Robseth, it's € 367 over here. The site is in Dutch but according to their info they do ship to certain countries within the EU. It states you have to contact them for the possibilities and costs.

You can try calling them at +31 184 417267 or use the contact form. I hope the form speaks for itself but if not, please let me know.

beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #3,746 of 9,173
I thought these would need an amp to sound good but tried it straight out of my macbook air and it's excellent and very immersive.
Especially on this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ullaTrrryA (wait till chorus when she sings louder) .. I like the depth and width on these headphones .. how her voice is in front of you. It's amazing on my 846 but the sony gives it that room feel where it's more 3d and surrounding. It is a very enjoyable headphone.

Also watched some action movie trailers and these really rumble with deep vibrating bass like no other headphone I've tried.

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #3,747 of 9,173
I use both Z7 and Z5 from my LG G3 and they sound great. I also use my Lenovo laptop straight from the headphone jack and my Dell Venue 8 pro straight from headphone as well as my Audioengine D1, plus a Littledot Dac1 and a couple small tube amps or my RWaudio1 SS amp. Better amplification makes them sound better but is not a requirement to enjoy these headphone/IEMs.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #3,750 of 9,173
I was wondering has anyone tried the Z7 with the Asgard 2 if so how did they sound?

The Asgard is voltage driven, which isn't necessary for a low Z headphone like the MDR-Z7. I'd suggest something that pushes more current (low gain Objective2, Matrix M-Stage, Burson Soloist, Violectric V200), or some resistors if you absolutely must have the Asgard and don't care about signal integrity loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back