Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 13, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #3,631 of 9,173

Yep, that's why I was wondering because I thought 1R has very good imaging at the time comparing to those flagship portable headphones. 

Now they sound "righ" haha on the right place
biggrin.gif
, i never played on an orchestra but played little violin and piano too, my favorite instrument is the Harpsichord

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #3,632 of 9,173
I have  a sizable classical music collection ALL FLAC 676GB, approx 40,000 tracks or 2,300 albums  (backup in two HDD's haha mirror mirror)

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #3,633 of 9,173
  Member of the brass section for 35 years! Brass kicks ass. 
tongue.gif
  My 10 year old daughter is following in my footsteps at school and is playing my trumpet in her band.

BTW, love the chart...thanks...great reference to have on hand.

That's awesome! Can't imagine myself being involved in 35 years great play, glory! Wish your family can have a house concert sooner or later.

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,634 of 9,173

That's awesome! Can't imagine myself being involved in 35 years great play, glory! Wish your family can have a house concert sooner or later.

Playing is not my day job...but I've been at it since the 4th grade or so....my daughter is pretty good at piano and the trumpet is new for her. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #3,635 of 9,173
Some of you own the XBA-A3 or XBA-A2? which one compares to MDR-1R? IMO XBA-H3 does not sounds close to the airiness of 1R, is too much bloat of midbass on the H3, but i only keep the H3 because sony MX doesn't have hi-res earbuds and because their imaging superb, some how like 1R (but with the midbass bloat)

I am too picky with album mastering quality, i only pick albums that sound good to me, usually CDs from the 1990's, late 80's, most post 2000 albums have some sort of so-so mastering, either too LOUD, sound like recorded in  a  lousy bathroom etc etc (not saying that all post 2000 CDs sound bad of curse there are good 21st century albums with good quality)

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #3,637 of 9,173

The MDR-1R too and at a cheaper price
darthsmile.gif
, nice 3D soundstage, i hear the flute on my right ear, the cello #1 on my back, cello #2 on front/center, the viola  on my left (Haydn flute quartets, if interested ACCENT, Barthold Kuijken & his brothers i Think)

I used to own the 1R this is vastly different. If you have the money the upgrade is totally worth it.
Z7 has some serious magic. It's more than just sound, its an experience.

I do repeat myself a bit, but the Z7 is so vastly different to every headphone I've heard, counting the t50rp and even some opens.

I can't wait till Christmas comes so I can visit family and have them experience it. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,638 of 9,173
  I used to own the 1R this is vastly different. If you have the money the upgrade is totally worth it.
Z7 has some serious magic. It's more than just sound, its an experience.

I do repeat myself a bit, but the Z7 is so vastly different to every headphone I've heard, counting the t50rp and even some opens.

I can't wait till Christmas comes so I can visit family and have them experience it. 

Yes but unfortunately in mexico not even IT (jr. programmer here) doesn't get paid well, so i don't have the budget for 10,000 MXN headphones, i got the 1R because they were affordable at 2,700MX, If i had the money i would have bought the z7
biggrin.gif

But no offense here, The Z7 IMHO looks kind of ugly
tongue_smile.gif
 compared to the sexyness of MDR-1R[A]

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3,639 of 9,173
My reasons for getting the "obsolete" MDR-1R instead of the more "advanced" 1A or Z7.

• Sony Mexico unwilligness to import more "premium" stuff excepto for the NWZ-A17 (yes! first 64GB walkman in mexico, always were 16 or lower)
  • Fear the new Aluminum coated LCP driver will "accentuate the bass" (bass-head/bass lover headphones)[XBA-H3 have this prob and the say new Z5 have this problem more acute]
  • I Listen only to classical music (Mozart, Bahc, Beethoven, Haydn, etc. etc.exclude modern "minimalist" classical) so no need for great deal of bass.
  • Cost of the Z7, i know 1A are affordable but point No.1 and No. 2
  • Maybe not sooo important but the looks of z7 haha not soo stylish as i initially tought.

I assume (No intend to cause a "revolt") the R in 1R is meant for Reference. I have never heard a reference headphones (too costly and there are virtually no HIFI groups in mexico, so no events like Head-fi meeting or so CanJam), so I assume they sound close to reference or equal to reference phones, Because they made me relaize i listened to "emphasized" bass headphones all of my life

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #3,640 of 9,173
So, I picked up a Z7 after it went on sale for a ridiculously good price (after reading some of this thread and looking at prices mentioned anyway - Sony AU list price is $799, and I picked them up for $383). Forgive my lack of proper terminology use, I'm still pretty new to all this. I don't have an amp yet, so my main sources so far have been my ZX1 and my PC's Xonar D2X. My early impressions are very positive. This is my first seriously decent over ear headphone, and until now I've mostly been an IEM man, UE TF10, XBA-H3 and Altone200 being my best.

From the ZX1, the first thing that struck me was the crazy bass extension and power. Like, my chair felt like it was rattling kind of power. Wow. After that, I think the detail struck me - this is the first over ear headphone I've tried that gives me BA IEM type levels of detail, and I was thoroughly enjoying that. Combined with the immersive sound stage, I don't really have any complaints, especially at the price I paid! The experience with the Xonar D2X is a little more restrained; bass is lacking much of its thump, and overall it seems a little muted, which I guess comes down to the lack of power in the D2X output. It is still very enjoyable though, and I regularly use it for gaming now.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #3,643 of 9,173
So, I picked up a Z7 after it went on sale for a ridiculously good price (after reading some of this thread and looking at prices mentioned anyway - Sony AU list price is $799, and I picked them up for $383).

Please share how you got this deal!

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #3,645 of 9,173
I'll spill, I'm a member of Sony X, which is an invite only club within Sony. They give you access to discounts all year round, though a few times a year they have sales on top of that, and right now is one of those sales. http://www.facebook.com/sonyxaustralia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back