Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 8, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #3,046 of 9,173

is this the vid..? damm shame what they did to these animals 

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #3,048 of 9,173
 On that I hate you or purchasing the last Z7 from Parramatta store

I listened to one in Westfields Parramatta yesterday at about 1:30pm. Didn't sound too bad from their set-up.

I would expext them to scale up somewhat on a good amp.

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #3,049 of 9,173
I listened to one in Westfields Parramatta yesterday at about 1:30pm. Didn't sound too bad from their set-up.

I would expext them to scale up somewhat on a good amp.

I barged in, unplugged their dinky ZX1 Walkman with bugger all on it and listened for 30minutes with my A15 + 16GB flacs connected to my PHA-1 to amp.

After 30minutes I had heard enough points of interest to buy on the spot.

Others will have to concer with me, but I find sounds such as bells and triangles to have an exceptionally long ring to them with these.

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #3,050 of 9,173
I barged in, unplugged their dinky ZX1 Walkman with bugger all on it and listened for 30minutes with my A17 + 16GB flacs connected to my PHA-1 to amp.

After 30minutes I had heard enough points of interest to buy on the spot.

Others will have to concerns with me, but I find sounds such as bells and triangles to have an exceptionally long ring to them with these.

Like a boss! Lol

I've heard them from about 20mins running balanced from AK120II through Kimber cables and PHA-3. While their sound was not to my liking, I do see their appeal. Personally, I would have liked a little more bass decay, a tad more rumble would have made it very tempting for me. But as is, I'll keep looking

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #3,052 of 9,173
I have had these for a little more than a week and have been going back and forth among the Z7, TH900, and D7000.  I think they are all somewhat cut from the same cloth and probably fans of one will be interested in the others. Here are a few rudimentary comparisons and some general impressions.

Source: Apple lossless files fed to PS Audio DLIII
Amp: Audio Technica AT-HA5000, A.K.A. ‘Raffinato’

For reference, I was head over heals for the D7000s when they first came out and probably could (should) have pulled out of the game at that point. I like the U-shaped frequency response as it works well with my lower listening volumes and adds a fun factor for the funk, rock, and New Wave music that I mostly listen to. I really like the D7000 bass—phat but not overly bloated. First class comfort as well. I find the TH900’s to be a slightly refined version of the D7000s with a little bit more general focus, detail, and definition; a slightly tighter, less prominent bass; and a more present, smoother treble.

I have developed a bit of a fanboy crush on the Sony transducer with the Z1000s, F1s, and MA900s being recent favorites and I am positively gobsmacked with the SS-NA5ES speakers in my big rig. As such, I thought I would give the Z7s a shot.

So far, it has been a bit of a mixed bag. I have read through all of the descriptions so far and none have seemed particularly off base to what I am hearing—from both the critics and the fans. The bass seems quite present, noticeably more than the D7000s and TH900s. While I do not mind a bigger bass than many here on the boards, the Z7’s can be too much for my tastes. I am finding the upper bass to be a tad bloated and overall a little less defined than I would hope. The treble is extremely smooth but a little less present than I would prefer. It is less of a distraction than the bass though. One or the other or both do become a distraction on occasion. Other times, I am thoroughly engrossed and love the whole package.

Bass presence:           Z7>>D7000>TH900
Bass definition:          TH900>D7000>Z7
Bass weight:               Z7>D7000>TH900
Treble presence:       TH900>D7000>>Z7

There is one characteristic of the Z7’s that I really like—its liquidy smoothness. I owned the HD800s for a while and was duly impressed with many of its strengths. While I yearned for a little more bass presence, the deal-breaker was that I found it too ‘dry’. The Z7’s are anything but, and I love this characteristic as I find it critical for presenting the synthesizer. The opening to Rush’s Tom Sawyer, Van Halen’s 1984 title track, and my entire Bjork collection sound totally fantastic with the Z7s. There is a fullness and weightiness coupled with smoothness and liquidity that make up the Z7s character and it fits very well with that kind of music. The industrial sounds in the intro to Pink Floyd’s Welcome to the Machine are another fine example where the Z7s shine. Those sounds have much greater impact through the Z7’s than the D7000s or TH900s.

There is a lot of discussion around here on neutrality and naturalness, and pianos sounding like pianos. I do care about those things, but I always head to tracks like those above when auditioning headphones. Obviously, no one can say what a synthesizer actually sounds like, but I am pretty sure they are intended to sound super cool.

Super cool synthesized sounds:  Z7>>TH900/D7000

In sum, there is a lot that I like, but I do find the bass to be a bit much and would like a little more treble presence. I have never done any truly serious EQing but I might have to give it a try with these.  I have no trouble understanding why some will be horrified by these and others will love them.

As always…my gear, my ears.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #3,053 of 9,173
nice post gu sensei. if the z7 has more bass than the th900 then that would probably be too much for me.

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #3,056 of 9,173
  I have had these for a little more than a week and have been going back and forth among the Z7, TH900, and D7000.  I think they are all somewhat cut from the same cloth and probably fans of one will be interested in the others. Here are a few rudimentary comparisons and some general impressions.

Source: Apple lossless files fed to PS Audio DLIII
Amp: Audio Technica AT-HA5000, A.K.A. ‘Raffinato’

For reference, I was head over heals for the D7000s when they first came out and probably could (should) have pulled out of the game at that point. I like the U-shaped frequency response as it works well with my lower listening volumes and adds a fun factor for the funk, rock, and New Wave music that I mostly listen to. I really like the D7000 bass—phat but not overly bloated. First class comfort as well. I find the TH900’s to be a slightly refined version of the D7000s with a little bit more general focus, detail, and definition; a slightly tighter, less prominent bass; and a more present, smoother treble.

I have developed a bit of a fanboy crush on the Sony transducer with the Z1000s, F1s, and MA900s being recent favorites and I am positively gobsmacked with the SS-NA5ES speakers in my big rig. As such, I thought I would give the Z7s a shot.

So far, it has been a bit of a mixed bag. I have read through all of the descriptions so far and none have seemed particularly off base to what I am hearing—from both the critics and the fans. The bass seems quite present, noticeably more than the D7000s and TH900s. While I do not mind a bigger bass than many here on the boards, the Z7’s can be too much for my tastes. I am finding the upper bass to be a tad bloated and overall a little less defined than I would hope. The treble is extremely smooth but a little less present than I would prefer. It is less of a distraction than the bass though. One or the other or both do become a distraction on occasion. Other times, I am thoroughly engrossed and love the whole package.

Bass presence:           Z7>>D7000>TH900
Bass definition:          TH900>D7000>Z7
Bass weight:               Z7>D7000>TH900
Treble presence:       TH900>D7000>>Z7

There is one characteristic of the Z7’s that I really like—its liquidy smoothness. I owned the HD800s for a while and was duly impressed with many of its strengths. While I yearned for a little more bass presence, the deal-breaker was that I found it too ‘dry’. The Z7’s are anything but, and I love this characteristic as I find it critical for presenting the synthesizer. The opening to Rush’s Tom Sawyer, Van Halen’s 1984 title track, and my entire Bjork collection sound totally fantastic with the Z7s. There is a fullness and weightiness coupled with smoothness and liquidity that make up the Z7s character and it fits very well with that kind of music. The industrial sounds in the intro to Pink Floyd’s Welcome to the Machine are another fine example where the Z7s shine. Those sounds have much greater impact through the Z7’s than the D7000s or TH900s.

There is a lot of discussion around here on neutrality and naturalness, and pianos sounding like pianos. I do care about those things, but I always head to tracks like those above when auditioning headphones. Obviously, no one can say what a synthesizer actually sounds like, but I am pretty sure they are intended to sound super cool.

Super cool synthesized sounds:  Z7>>TH900/D7000

In sum, there is a lot that I like, but I do find the bass to be a bit much and would like a little more treble presence. I have never done any truly serious EQing but I might have to give it a try with these.  I have no trouble understanding why some will be horrified by these and others will love them.

As always…my gear, my ears.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Needed that one.
Pretty much sums up everything and matches other peoples commets.

More Bass is nice, atleast for me.
Treble is fine as long it doesn't sound muffled & still sounds clear.

I have the feeling those a good for EDM on high volumes.
Furthermore i like my D2000s so they might be a good alternative in the future.

Sexy design aswell.

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #3,057 of 9,173
Just got these in yesterday. First impressions are good. I haven't had much time with them but I'll be running them up against my SA5k this weekend.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #3,058 of 9,173
Thanks Gu Sensei

The more I read the more it comes across as too similar to TH900 so will flip back to eyeing up the HE560

I'm sorry but they aren't similar to each other besides the fact that they're both closed headphones and both are very comfortable. One sounds dark and the other is much more neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back