Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 25, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #2,446 of 9,173

Ordinary people will confuse it between the iDevice standard though. Remember that ordinary consumers are quite often lazy and don't expect to have to think about how to use stuff.

True. And that is probably enough reason to not implement TRRS from a commercial point of view.

However, speaking of plugs, I just found this. Sony seem to have another idea for a new standard: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2014-showstopper-sonys-proposed-new-industry-standard-headphone-plugs

5 poles obviously give a lot of options.

Just an hour or so ago Nao Tsunoda of Sony showed these to me. 

We had a chat about the Z7 tuning too and tried the Z5 IEMs, which were nice (and tuned more towards what I like, though still with significant bass). Back soon with more about all of that.

Oct 25, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #2,447 of 9,173
The article somebody linked to last page says that the Z7's 70mm drivers are the world's largest for headphones.

What does that actually mean for the sound? What are the advantages / disadvantages of having such large drivers?

Thanks

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #2,448 of 9,173
  Les Numeriques has the French language interview. They like it, 5 out of 5 stars.

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/sony-mdr-z7-p22050/test.html

However, the 50Hz square-wave leaves a LOT to be desired for me:

"Les numériques" isn't really good for headphone review, even for measurement (just compare measurement from innerfidelity with the measurement provided by Les numériques). They easily give 5-4 stars for audio product. Quick example : For the sig pro, they gave 4/5 stars and put in the cons : "alterated audio reproduction".

Just for illustrate my point, they don't know how to put an headphone on the right way...

Anyway, I tried last week-end, during  a meeting,  MDR-Z7 with my Sony ZX1 : Really nice synergy and I was quite suprise by the capability of the ZX1 with the Z7. Z7 isn't kicking ass like my TH900, he has more bass than sub-bass. Mids are airy and articulate (less recessed than the TH900). High are really extended and not fatiguing and resolving than the older Sony Flagship (SA-5000), lot of detail and micro dynamic. The soundstage is quite good for a close/semi-open headphone.

I will have a unit for review normaly, I will be able to make a real comparison with my TH900 on a home rig.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #2,449 of 9,173
I've listened to the Z7s twice now during my lunch hour (I am fortunate enough to work across the street from the largest BIC Camera store in Japan).  My caveats first, my impressions follow.

Caveats:

1.  BIC Camera is noisy, so it can be hard to have a really good listen;
2.  I did not use an amp, just my Iphone6, which seemed to have difficulty driving the Z7s.
3.  Many headphones at BIC Camera have demonstration music playing in them all the time.  To listen, you have unplug them from the amp they are connected to and then connect them to your source.  The Z7s do not have demo music playing in them, so it is unclear whether the Z7s I heard were broken in yet. 

Impressions:

1.  More detailed and more forward then my current favorite, the JVC HP-DX700, which I use quite a bit at home.  Violins have that raspy edge and these seem to be able to dredge up detail out of the mix better than many;
2.  Very comfy and well-made;
3.  Like other Sony cans I've tried, the mids and high end can sound a bit thin at times.  If you're currently listening to woodies like me, this may bother you. 
4.  I mostly listen to Rock, Classical and Opera music.  Rock sounds very good. Classical sounds good too, but violins sometimes sound a bit thin.  Opera can be a bit harsh, so perhaps these are not for me.

Just my $.02

Peace from Japan.    

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #2,450 of 9,173

Just to illustrate my point, they don't know how to put the headphone on the right way...

You're right!

But she's so lovely, she can wear them any way she likes!!!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,452 of 9,173
Gents,

The stock SE cable is looooong. An option for a shorter cable - I own a Denon D600 and the iDevice portable cable is a perfect fit in the Sony. It doesn't have the threaded collar but not needed.

I've used it with my armband based portable setup (Digizoid ZO3 fed by an iPod Nano) and it makes a nice mobile setup. I use it for my bike in the garage mounted on a roller setup for workouts. The Z7's have just the right clamp and comfort that they may not be good for running, but they are light enough for gym duty if you're ok up for it. In my case I have a gym in my garage so no concerns about what I look like with a full size headphone on my head working out. :cool:

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2,453 of 9,173
Gents,

The stock SE cable is looooong. An option for a shorter cable - I own a Denon D600 and the iDevice portable cable is a perfect fit in the Sony. It doesn't have the threaded collar but not needed.

Pics of the d600 cables only show 1 ring on each earcup input vs. 2 on the sony. Although they fit, do they actually work and sound ok with the z7?

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,454 of 9,173
I did send Mark Lawton an email asking if the Z7 is the kind of headphone he would consider modding for Lawton Audio. (It was also to thank him for my new LA600s)  So we shall see if he's interested or even aware of these Sony headphones....

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #2,455 of 9,173
Sony has not been fantastic in their audio department lately. Really the 1r and 10r are the only premium audio products we've seen in the past few years. I hope they understand to put a lot of $$$ into it and understand that were willing to pay $$$ if its anything comparable to what Sony used to do

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #2,456 of 9,173
Got my z7s today (only took 3 days ems from japan). Some early impressions: 

As others have said: they're light and very comfortable. First few seconds didn't wow as I hoped but that wow seems to be slowly creeping in after about an hour. Highs are good but not harsh and the soundstage is pretty good. I prefer more soundstage but realize only a full open back will provide that (leaning more towards thinking of the z7 as semi-open). Not much leakage (compared to all my other cans) at arms length. Still testing the mids so no comment on that yet for the sake of accuracy.

So far I've listened to the z7s on my ibasso R10 with no eq and at max gain where it seems to open up the sound. Doesn't take a ton of power to drive them (sounds ok direct from my note 3 at max vol) but amping them definitely brings out more. Haven't tried them on my desktop setup yet.

Now on to the bass:
note: I don't think of myself as a basshead (nor the kind from P.E. Nation of Millions) but I do prefer some low end (and highs and mids too; can't we just have it all!).
There's been much discussion of how much bass we'd get from these 70mm drivers and I can confirm that bass is there. Is it boosted?: not to my ears. Is it bloated?: no. Somehow sony found a way to provide a great amount of bass without it overpowering the rest of the music; like being thrown into a potential ocean of bass with no chance of drowning. The best way I can describe how I found this out is by playing one of my main test tracks from almost the past 20yrs. Its a track by DJ Honda and Guru with great lows as well as some surprising treble and soundstaging via Honda's scratching. Normally, the bass extends into everything else on most all equip I've played it on, UNTIL THE Z7s! Hard to describe it but (thus far) it sounds like the z7s leave an opening (and not a hole) in the lows so all the music comes through. I'm hearing this track like never before. I found a youtube link below for others and will try to add more impressions later.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #2,458 of 9,173
Listened to more tracks including some Norah Jones. The soundstage is damn good.

Confirmed my initial impression with some add'l bass heavy tracks. With a flat eq, the z7's bass won't fully overpower (by my ears) the music unless a poor recording is being pushed to it. They even make heavily drc compressed music more bearable.

I have NEVER been this relaxed listening to a headphone! Definitely worth the money.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #2,459 of 9,173
  This looks like a very solid pair of headphones

They are very well built.  And so light, which feel even lighter with the super comfy ear pads.  They make my Lawton pads feel stiff by comparison....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back