Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,296 of 9,173
Initial thoughts:   Love them.   I'm surprised how light and comfortable they are.   If these were speakers they'd be ADS 810's - dynamic, open, lots of bass, fun to listen to. 

I tried the Oppo HP-1's and didn't care for them.   Nice quality parts, but at best 'not too uncomfortable' and not remarkable in any way.    These, on the other hand, are keepers.  Like I said, lots of fun to listen to. 

They aren't better than my HD-800's, but they're fun for a change of pace.   Good on Daft Punk, etc.   I've never had a can with bass like this and I'm really enjoying it. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #2,297 of 9,173
First, fast impression, with only Chico Hamilton's "Gongs East!" cd:  the Z7 is a closed (with all the traits closed headphones bring to the table) version of the HD800.  And more enjoyable than the HD800, which can often sound like what a root canal feels like.

So first impression:  enjoyable.  Fun.  Fun high-end.

This is better than I expected.  Can't wait to hear more.

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #2,300 of 9,173
  First, fast impression, with only Chico Hamilton's "Gongs East!" cd:  the Z7 is a closed (with all the traits closed headphones bring to the table) version of the HD800.  And more enjoyable than the HD800, which can often sound like what a root canal feels like.

So first impression:  enjoyable.  Fun.  Fun high-end.

This is better than I expected.  Can't wait to hear more.

Nice! Sounds like how I feel about my Alpha Dog. Like a closed HD800 that has bass. 

I just found a vintage DR-Z7 in immaculate condition on Ebay for $46 + free shipping. I bit the bullet and bought it right away without bidding. I bought it mostly for the unique looking drivers inside these bad boys.

Wait.. I lie they are DR-7A which are from the 70's. Interesting, they barely cost me anything so I am wondering how 70's headphones sound.

hmmm the DR-7A's specs look pretty bad. I might end up giving these to my dad hahaha since he is from that era

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #2,301 of 9,173

...Good on Daft Punk, etc.  

And someone earlier in this thread said the Z7 was no good with Daft Punk. All of these polarizing impressions!

Can't wait to listen to my pair to make my own judgements. I'm expecting a shipping notification at any moment now. I ordered on October 1st from Price Japan.

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #2,303 of 9,173

I agree. You could easily spend more than $700 for the absolute best cables.

I am considering it. From what I've read throughout head-fi silver is tops and figure if I go aftermarket why not. I can order a 4ft 4-wire cable from the site I mentioned for close to the same price as the kimber. The kimber is 8-wire though so it still might be the better choice for the price. Maybe someone else can chime in with their opinion.

Of course to be a fair comparison and to ensure the "best" possible quality, I will be selecting 8 wire options; and I'm completely fine with paying that amount for these cables, just don't know IF and how much better they are than the Kimble Kable option SONY is offering (like I said, ordered them, thought I would be set, then read about cable options lol); then again, the others are pure silver while the SONY/Kimber combo is a copper set up;

So you think the pure silver 8 wire option would be better than these copper 8 wire Kimber Kable?

I think they have clearly engineered the headphones with the PHA3 and meant for upgraded cables, logic tells me to get them all, or else, if audio quality is really what you are after. It's sad that people are so focused on the actual headphones and totally ignoring the amp and of course the cable options! We should have more discussion on all of them as a whole, since I believe this is how SONY approached the $2000 headphones segment this round!

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,304 of 9,173

Of course to be a fair comparison and to ensure the "best" possible quality, I will be selecting 8 wire options; and I'm completely fine with paying that amount for these cables, just don't know IF and how much better they are than the Kimble Kable option SONY is offering (like I said, ordered them, thought I would be set, then read about cable options lol); then again, the others are pure silver while the SONY/Kimber combo is a copper set up;

So you think the pure silver 8 wire option would be better than these copper 8 wire Kimber Kable?

I think they have clearly engineered the headphones with the PHA3 and meant for upgraded cables, logic tells me to get them all, or else, if audio quality is really what you are after. It's sad that people are so focused on the actual headphones and totally ignoring the amp and of course the cable options! We should have more discussion on all of them as a whole, since I believe this is how SONY approached the $2000 headphones segment this round!

Has anyone verified the wire type of the Kimber upgrade cables?  I thought I read silver coated OFC?

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #2,305 of 9,173

Has anyone verified the wire type of the Kimber upgrade cables?  I thought I read silver coated OFC?

Oh really? well the info on these are very limited, and I remember only read something about them being OFC not the silver coating part. on the SONY website it says

1. Product Specifications

2. General

1. Plug : Headphone Side: Gold-plated, 3-pole, stereo mini plug (x2) Player Side: Gold-plated, 3-pole mini plugs (balanced connection) (x2)
    2. Type : Oxygen-Free Copper cable
    3. Design : 8-wire braided cable, L/R-separate ground, engineered with Kimber Kable®

3. Weights and Measurements

1. Weight (Approx.) : 110 g (3.88 oz.)
    2. Cord Length (Approx.) : 2.0 m (78-3/4 in.)

so I guess again this means the other pure silver options should ? be better the those Kimber ones? 
confused_face_2.gif

p.s. I just read it on the Japanese and Chinese SONY websites, saying the stock cables are silver coated OFC, so no reason the upgraded Kimber Kable would be otherwise, eh!

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2,306 of 9,173
With all of this cable talk, don't forget there is a rather plain looking cable from the headphone's input jack to the driver. It might be something that modders will look into upgrading, maybe even completely bypassing the audio jack. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #2,307 of 9,173
  With all of this cable talk, don't forget there is a rather plain looking cable from the headphone's input jack to the driver. It might be something that modders will look into upgrading, maybe even completely bypassing the audio jack. 

good point, but man, that's so much more work than just ordering a different set of cable eh? haha

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,308 of 9,173
Also, in case there are newbies in the thread, I'd like to point out:

1) Whether or not there's an audible difference between two decently built cables has always been a controversial topic. You can head over to the Sound Science forum for relevant discussion: http://www.head-fi.org/f/133/sound-science

2) Even if you believe that cables make an audible difference, the conventional wisdom is that they come last in the diminishing returns chain of audio upgrades. The chain is usually Headphones > Amp > DAC > Cables, or Headphones > DAC > Amp > Cables.

If you want to spend 50-100% of the headphones' cost in fancy cables, go right ahead. Just keep in mind that if your budget is tight, there might be better ways to spend your money :wink:

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #2,309 of 9,173
  Oh really? well the info on these are very limited, and I remember only read something about them being OFC not the silver coating part. on the SONY website it says

1. Product Specifications

2. General

1. Plug : Headphone Side: Gold-plated, 3-pole, stereo mini plug (x2) Player Side: Gold-plated, 3-pole mini plugs (balanced connection) (x2)
    2. Type : Oxygen-Free Copper cable
    3. Design : 8-wire braided cable, L/R-separate ground, engineered with Kimber Kable®

3. Weights and Measurements

1. Weight (Approx.) : 110 g (3.88 oz.)
    2. Cord Length (Approx.) : 2.0 m (78-3/4 in.)

so I guess again this means the other pure silver options should ? be better the those Kimber ones? 
confused_face_2.gif

p.s. I just read it on the Japanese and Chinese SONY websites, saying the stock cables are silver coated OFC, so no reason the upgraded Kimber Kable would be otherwise, eh!

I'm far from certain on the material, that's why I asked.  I thought I saw something with close up pics and a caption with the wire material....

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #2,310 of 9,173

I'm far from certain on the material, that's why I asked.  I thought I saw something with close up pics and a caption with the wire material....

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-Z7/feature_1.html#F_100

well I still can't find anything on the cable itself, but this is for MDR-Z7 and they are silver coated copper

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MUC-B20BL1/store-w/feature_1.html

and no mention on the silver coating, only OFC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back