Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 14, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #1,666 of 9,173
  Can you just hurry up and buy them and post the impressions?? Come on guys! 
dt880smile.png

I tried to be quick.  My Amazon preorder was on the 9/18, and it hasn't shipped yet.  And sadly, Sony's website is now showing them as "in stock"...

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #1,667 of 9,173
  So you are saying that they are not as source demanding as some may lead you to think. ie if you dont have the pha-3 or some totl you wont be satisfied?

Sorry to jump in, but I think the MDR-Z7 is definitely source intensive.  The synergy between the MDR-Z7 and the PHA-3 is very strong, and when the amp was switched, the difference in SQ was quite noticeable.  In addition....

*warning, this may burn your eyes*

I plugged the MDR-Z7 into my iPod directly for fun. SQ was terrible...but that's a user-end issue and not a MDR-Z7 issue.

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,668 of 9,173
^
Sorry to jump in, but I think the MDR-Z7 is definitely source intensive.

I plugged the MDR-Z7 into my iPod directly for fun. SQ was terrible...but that's a user-end issue and not a MDR-Z7 issue.

I'm going to take that as praise then because I use the Android side of things and they are apples complete opposite so they should sound good with my devices. Especially my new Motorola razr. I just upgrade the memory and can have a couple songs on it instead of just ring tones (which they never really bothered me anyways. I like to keep it simple) I also just paid good money to unlock it and root it to upgrade it's compatability with other devices specifically so when I get the mdr-z7 I can use it as my portable rig too.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #1,671 of 9,173

So you are saying that they are not as source demanding as some may lead you to think. ie if you dont have the pha-3 or some totl you wont be satisfied?

Sorry to jump in, but I think the MDR-Z7 is definitely source intensive.  The synergy between the MDR-Z7 and the PHA-3 is very strong, and when the amp was switched, the difference in SQ was quite noticeable.  In addition....

Thank you for sharing!

I personally find the sq from iPods not ideal even for other headphones as well. Thats a hard statement for me to depend on. I am wondering about its synergy with budget - mid tier gear. But I am sure it will fair well.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #1,672 of 9,173
At least you actually plugged one into your device and listened with your ears so I see that as useful feedback.

The prognostication about how great they're gonna sound one a device that's yet to be used or on cans that have yet to be plugged in is great fodder...I needed a laugh.

biggrin.gif

HS

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #1,673 of 9,173
So I do conclude correctly that the connection on the headphone side of these is just a standard mini-plug; the same that you use to plug into, say, a smartphone? So it should be easy enough to custom build a standard balanced cable?

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #1,674 of 9,173
Got them ordered yet bud? I'm just waiting for the release.........

Nah!
Will wait for more impressions, especially regarding leakage (you know that one of the reasons for selling my LA Denon's was exactly that... :frowning2: ).

I didn't ask or think to try removing them, sorry. I had no problems with the pads. Comfortable and didn't make my ears hot even after a 20-25 minute session (pretty long for a trade show).

They probably are so I don't think there will be a problem with that. Glad to hear repeatedly that these are comfortable! Maybe there's not a real consensus regarding sound, leakage/isolation, etc. but at least every one finds them comfy!

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,676 of 9,173
At least you actually plugged one into your device and listened with your ears so I see that as useful feedback.

The prognostication about how great they're gonna sound one a device that's yet to be used or on cans that have yet to be plugged in is great fodder...I needed a laugh.

:D

HS

Me thinking out loud is pretty funny. Just like comparing an ipod to the pha3.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,679 of 9,173
Ordered direct from Sony with a Thursday delivery option. 

Should be enjoying them Thursday night...................and will report back.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #1,680 of 9,173
  Ordered direct from Sony with a Thursday delivery option. 

Should be enjoying them Thursday night...................and will report back.

If it is that good, and you had enough time with them.

Bombard this thread with hyperactive impressions so that Sony can hurry and fulfill the demands of the headfiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back