Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 2, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #1,292 of 9,173
I'm still scratching my head as to why they would make a supposed amazing headphone and only make 2000 of them. Is it possible that some people's ears are hearing amazing because they're unobtainable status on top of an already high msrp?

The Sennheiser did something similar with the Orpheus. The R10 as well as the Orpheus are statement headphones. Pretty much the headphones are meant to be the best of the best when they came out. I've heard both versions of the R10 rather extensively, I personally think they are considered legendary mainly because of their sound. To my ears they are the most refined, transparent, and grain-free dynamic headphone ever made, it made the HD 800 sound slightly grainy in comparison. The HD 800 has a greater resolution than the R10 but the HD 800 can't touch the R10s sense of realism.

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #1,293 of 9,173
I'm still scratching my head as to why they would make a supposed amazing headphone and only make 2000 of them. Is it possible that some people's ears are hearing amazing because they're unobtainable status on top of an already high msrp?

Heh, I remember at the tail end of the R10 lifespan (before they moved on to the Qualia 010) you could get them in sale at Yodobashi Camera for less than MSRP. Still like $2600, but they had to cut the price to get rid of them.

In other words, they weren't unobtainable at all. Maybe expensive, but given the likes of the Stax 007 and other flagship cans, not insanely so.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #1,294 of 9,173
According to nomax he ranked Z7 higher than CD3000.

CD3000 is basically the mass-produced version of R10

We'll see when these get in the hands of a larger number of people, and see where they stand several years from now. I wouldn't agree wih nomax's ranking at all as he ranks his D7000's significantly higher than the cd3000. I would reverse that ranking, and by a good margin. I've long thought the D7000's have a warm, comfortable sound, but don't think they are anything like a flagship.

Every time something new and top of the line from a manufacturer is discussed here it is expected to be the second coming, and reviews also tend to over-hype them as well. Very few pieces of gear withstand the test of time where they are still considered great 10 years+ on.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #1,295 of 9,173
Every time something new and top of the line from a manufacturer is discussed here it is expected to be the second coming, and reviews also tend to over-hype them as well. Very few pieces of gear withstand the test of time where they are still considered great 10 years+ on.

Agreed, nobody wants to admit they made a bad investment, plus the excitement of having a shiny new toy....

I'm already trying to temper my attitude about the Z7, so I can make a fairly truthful evaluation.  But I'm just so darn excited to get my hands on these.

I know the first few units sold through Amazon have an expected delivery date range of 10/1 to 10/8 (mine is 10/8 to 10/16), so hopefully they will be in the hands of the masses any day now.  The more impressions to add to the pool, the better...

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #1,296 of 9,173

Agreed, nobody wants to admit they made a bad investment, plus the excitement of having a shiny new toy....

I'm already trying to temper my attitude about the Z7, so I can make a fairly truthful evaluation.  But I'm just so darn excited to get my hands on these.

I know the first few units sold through Amazon have an expected delivery date range of 10/1 to 10/8 (mine is 10/8 to 10/16), so hopefully they will be in the hands of the masses any day now.  The more impressions to add to the pool, the better...

After the event today, I believe I have a much better understanding of why the headphones sound the way they do, and also what they were intended to do.  Will be posting impressions soon!

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #1,297 of 9,173

This will never change, only you can decide how far the hype can carry you (if at all). Some people love the hype, some live off it, and honestly I like how this hobby can excite people and bring in discussions, impressions, reviews - better than any magazine ever - as long as it isn't overblown with crazy  expectations and meltdowns.

One annoyance in these discussions is the hope for a "Headphon XX - Killer" everytime something comes up. Alpha Dog, Fidelio X2, new AKG etc.... the more drastical the price difference to the headphone that needs to die, the bigger the false hope. This is also leads to silly arguments like K7xx=80% HD 800, TH-600=90% TH-900 etc...In many cases the "high end" bonus of the price isn't as big as perceived. Some headphones are indeed statements of their time that you just can't get for cheap or approximate, like the HD 800 for instance.

Though I also disagree on people that fear their investment (they even made years ago) could be "nullified" by a cheaper product. I think everybody wins with better headphones that are also affordable for a broader range of people. 

Edit: How did this become centered? 
ph34r.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #1,298 of 9,173
We'll see when these get in the hands of a larger number of people, and see where they stand several years from now. I wouldn't agree wih nomax's ranking at all as he ranks his D7000's significantly higher than the cd3000. I would reverse that ranking, and by a good margin. I've long thought the D7000's have a warm, comfortable sound, but don't think they are anything like a flagship.

+1

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #1,299 of 9,173
I would have bought th900 long ago if they were tougher with better isolation because I crave for that kind of commute luxury... This z7 will fit the bill. No hype, just a answer to a need.

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,300 of 9,173
  After the event today, I believe I have a much better understanding of why the headphones sound the way they do, and also what they were intended to do.  Will be posting impressions soon!

Cool, how was the event? Did you take any photos? Appreciate that you're reporting back to head-fi and will be looking forward to your impressions of the audio gear at the event.

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #1,304 of 9,173
DISCLAIMER: I am neither an employee nor an affiliate of Sony.  All photos are taken and owned by me. 

SONY'S FEEL THE AIR EVENT (MDR-Z7):

FOR XBA-Z5 IMPRESSIONS, CLICK HERE!

A nifty invitation I got from Sony to attend Feel The Air!

The Sony MDR-Z7, need I say more? 

INTRODUCTION:

Last week, I was invited to attend Sony’s Feel The Air high-resolution audio event here in Singapore.  Before I go any further, I would like to offer a big thank you to Sony for giving me this opportunity to meet with many members of the Sony team, and allowing me to test the latest gear in Sony's audio lineup.  I will later provide a link to the general event thread, but here are my thoughts specifically regarding the MDR-Z7.

GENERAL BACKGROUND (intended for those just jumping into the thread):

The MDR-Z7 is Sony’s latest flagship headphone.  Featuring a closed, but vented design, the MDR-Z7 promises to deliver an airy and spacious sound, and is complemented by a whole range of other high-fi gear that comprise Sony’s new “High-Res Audio” lineup.  It is safe to say that Sony is making a concerted effort to cater to the audiophile market, a goal which was very clearly expressed at IFA.  To quote President Masaru Tamagawa, Sony intends on “providing superb sound experience to every audiophile” and creating “a new market around high-resolution audio.”

Currently, the MDR-Z7 is priced at 549 Euros, or 700 USD, which puts it into a highly competitive and established market range (Sennheiser HD700, etc.). 

DESIGN PHILOSOPHY:

Chief Sound Engineer, Mr. Koji Nageno, on the MDR-Z7 design philosophy.

Personally, I believe that it is quite important to know the design philosophy behind a pair of headphones, as it helps to guide reviews and impressions in a constructive manner. In the opening presentation at the event, attendees were introduced to the "evolution" of Sony headphones.  In the 1970s-early 1990s, Sony's design philosophy was guided primarily by an emphasis on natural sound, which was influenced by the kind of music that existed at the time.  It was during this time that the legendary MDR-R10 was conceived and created.  In the 1990s, a shift towards producing headphones that would be compatible with Sony/Philips' Super Audio CD (SACD) format occurred.  This led to the creation of the Qualia-010, which is a deeply divisive pair of headphones to say the least.  Fast forward to modern day, Sony has recognized the changes in music tastes, and is now attempting to capture "space" with the MDR-Z7.

The MDR-Z7s unveiled after a long wait in Singapore.

In order to attain a sense of space in the MDR-Z7's sound, Sony's engineers focused on several key aspects in terms of sound signature.  The first is Super-High Frequency.  In other words, engineers sought to develop treble that was clear with accurate positioning.  The second is Super-Low Frequency, which involves using bass to establish a sense of spaciousness (wobble bass, etc.).  Mega Volume was the third aspect touched upon.  This was the effort to produce a big sound through effortless "huge bass" with minimal distortion.  The final aspect was Small Sound, which primarily involved reverberations. 

With regards to the massive 70mm dynamic driver, Mr. Nageno explained that the large driver would produce natural waveforms similar to those found in speaker setups (by mere virtue of being huge), and that this would help to capture a sense of space.  The liquid crystal polymer with aluminum coating offers a compromise between paper materials (with less coloration) and metal materials (with wide frequency range).  

Speaking with Mr. Nageno and several other engineers, a theme that I saw was the move to cater to "modern" music, which has a heavier emphasis on bass lines. Sony engineers tried to account for the fact that bass has gone from merely being noise in the background (okay, a bit of an exaggeration) to being leading melodic components in many of today's songs.  This is not an easy feat, as there is a fine line between having good bass, and becoming the next pair of bass cannons. 

I understand that the "vents" have become a bit of a concern for some, but here's the explanation from Mr. Nageno.  The MDR-Z7s are still largely closed, but the vents are required to achieve the promised super-high frequencies and super-low frequencies.  Technically speaking, the vents allow airflow to optimize diaphragm movement.

In response to the claims of "transportability"...I can confirm with certainty that the MDR-Z7's are not meant to leave the home in general.  

IMPRESSIONS: 

DISCLAIMER 2: These are impressions, and do not account for a comprehensive "review".  In addition, please take note of the fact that these impression were taken in a live setting. As these are my personal impressions, they are not meant to discount or definitively prove anything.

A fellow reviewer trying out the MDR-Z7.  The headphone's large size can be gauged with the Nikon D4 (right).

Great build quality.  The vents are clearly visible at the bottom of the headphones.

Let me start with build quality.  There were initial concerns that the MDR-Z7 was going to be lacking in terms of build quality, but these worries now seem (in retrospect) quite unfounded. Sony has put in lots of effort into ensuring that the MDR-Z7 looks and feels like 700 dollars worth of headphone.  The elegant contours on the headphones are aesthetically appealing, and the components are of high quality.  I am particularly impressed by the leather headband and the comfortable ear pads.  My pillows aren't remotely close to being as comfortable as the ear pads on the MDR-Z7. 
tongue.gif

Moving on to the question of leakage, there does seem to be a bit of leakage.  As Jude said, this will vary with your volume, but it is definitely there.  I'd put it towards the moderate end of things. A fellow reviewer in the room at the time noted the rather large amount of leakage coming from the vents as I tested the headphones.  However, seeing that the MDR-Z7s aren't exactly meant to go anywhere but from room to room, I'm not too concerned with this issue.

The sound isolation is solid.  It's not the most isolating headphones out there, but with the volume turned to about 1/4 of the way up on a competent amplifier, you will not be hearing the people beside you.  The amplifier is something that I do wish to talk about later, so stay tuned!

Now to the actual sound quality.  The bass is significant, but in a good way.  I personally did not feel that the MDR-Z7's bass was overwhelming or crude.  It was, to me, a rather refined bass that added a general "spaciousness" to the sound.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, the treble was clear and well defined, and added a needed sparkle that helped to bring the soundstage together.  The mids were powerful and smooth, but in my opinion could have been dialed back a little to create even more spaciousness.  In some songs, I did feel that the spaciousness was somewhat reduced by the slightly stronger than usual bass/mid presence.

There is a certain je nais se quoi about the MDR-Z7's sound signature.  It isn't what most would call "balanced" as it definitely has a slight coloration that might make it seem warmer. Clarity is good, but it is not extremely analytical.  I personally found the MDR-Z7s to be a very good pair of headphones designed for comfortable hi-fi listening.  While testing it, I felt "at home", and I didn't have to put in much effort to enjoy the MDR-Z7's sound.   Of course, there were compromises necessary to achieve this, but to me the overall package is very good.

THE AMPLIFIER:

The PHA-3: A lean, mean amping machine.

There is a definite synergy between the PHA-3 and the MDR-Z7.  Speaking with Mr. Nageno, I came to understand that the PHA-3 was worked on primarily by electrical engineers, while the MDR-Z7 was worked on primarily by acoustics engineers.  However, these different engineers did collaborate together frequently while working on their respective products.  I wouldn't go as far as to say that the MDR-Z7 was built specifically for the PHA-3 and vice versa, but this combination definitely sounds good.  In fact, I might venture to say that the MDR-Z7 + PHA-3 sounds better than the MDR-Z7 + UDA-1!  

The MDR-Z7 and the UDA-1 Amp.

MISCELLANEOUS THOUGHTS:

Thanks for sticking with me through this review!  Really appreciate it.  I know some of you might be wondering why I haven't addressed the R10s yet, so I'll do that here.  The R10s aren't coming back for a few reasons.  First, the wood (Zelkova, if I'm not wrong), can no longer be found.  In addition, many of the parts manufacturers that worked with Sony on the R10s have now gone out of business.  Most importantly though, Sony's evolutionary approach to headphones means that unless the market shifts significantly, it will probably not be returning to the design philosophy used on the R10s, simply because of how much music has changed in the past 30-40 years.

Overall, this was a great event.  I am very impressed by Sony's lineup, and look forward to seeing what new high-res audio products Sony has to offer in the future.

Best Regards,
Thatonenoob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back