Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 1, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #1,276 of 9,173
So did these sony cans turn out to be the second  coming of the sony MDR R10 I was desperately hoping for?​

No chance in hell. They may turn out to be very good. And priced competively to their peers. But lets be real, calling them the second coming of a rare uber priced legendery phone is just unfounded. I consulted stephen hawking, bill gates, nate silver, and jesus. They all said wait 2 yearrs after the release and if you still want them then they are ok.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #1,277 of 9,173

From the pha 3 and hi res walkman playing "Foreplay" by BOSTON these were outstanding. From a Cowon and an e/12 these were not even great. 320kbps bass tracks are not for this (Sony is quite clear about that themselves) The TH900 can be eq'd to be basshead cans as can the D7000,5000,2000 OR play musically. The Z7 is not intended to go Bass if you want it to.

I am the only one I know of that ran this of a mid/lower level source and it is not what these were made for. Most will be happy to know that these are not bass cans but as the TH 900 and others have shown you can kinda do both if you want to.

So I cant listen to hip hop or EDM or dubstep with these cans?

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #1,279 of 9,173
  So I cant listen to hip hop or EDM or dubstep with these cans?

Sony has just released another new line of XB series cans for heavy bass emphasis. These Z7 can play anything but Sony has re-made the series of their line intended for HipHop/bass boosted music running of ipods and the like.

I will unsub from this thread to not misguide anyone. Mine is just another opinion coming from the bass-head branch of the audio tree.

Like NOMAX said. Everybody hears things differently so try and hear these for yourself if at all possible.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,281 of 9,173
http://www.head-fi.org/t/658559/sony-mdr-cd3000-horrible

Horrible just because the headphone is now quite old and need some repairs and otherwise some of the best sounding headphones according to the users on the thread. I pretty sure that the Sony MDR-Z7 will have a good long life span.

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #1,282 of 9,173

Sony has just released another new line of XB series cans for heavy bass emphasis. These Z7 can play anything but Sony has re-made the series of their line intended for HipHop/bass boosted music running of ipods and the like.

I will unsub from this thread to not misguide anyone. Mine is just another opinion coming from the bass-head branch of the audio tree.

Like NOMAX said. Everybody hears things differently so try and hear these for yourself if at all possible.

I like how those XB cans look! :)

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #1,283 of 9,173

I like how those XB cans look! :)

Man the XB 700 and 1000 were SWEET looking,

but as Hawaii Said, a first listen will be the best.

As it seems these are picky about sources 

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #1,284 of 9,173

I only had a rather short listen at IFA, but with my own music (so at least that was well-known) and would not have called it dark either. I think I said in my earlier post that I would relate the sound signature to the TH900, i.e. bass and treble a bit elevated, but to me neither was overwhelming (for reference: my primary headphone is a T1).

Stay happy, you have the best electrodynamic 'reference'.

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,285 of 9,173
  Hello All!

Great stuff/ impressions being posted by everyone (thanks Nomax, Zorin, and others)!  Just a heads up, I've gotten confirmation that the chief sound engineer at Sony and the team lead on Sony's Walkman NWZ-A15 will be coming to the event I am attending this Thursday, and that I will be able to speak with them for a little bit.  

If you have any questions, just post below and I'll try to fit them in this Thursday!

1 - Are 1000 + dollars Sony Top Of The Line headphones in the making ?
2 - Is Sony considering or working on two driver [in one ear-cup] design ?
3 - This one is more of a despair tainted request - bring back MDR-R10, best of all a bass heavy version, preferably in 53 mm size, ...many will thank you.
4 - Can Sony make a superior digital player + DAC [with the best DAC chips] that also has an analog line out ?
5 - There is a need for a universal portable, or at least transportable, audio and video platform that can play all CD formats [SACD too] and DVD formats [DVD-Audio too]...with top audio quality. The audio quality of laptops is not good enough. Lot of people have music DVDs, how come no audio equipment manufacturers can see this need ?

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #1,286 of 9,173
I don't really find that the case as the CD3000 sounds nothing like the R10 and the R10 is much better sounding than the CD3000.

I love when real people smack down parroting impressions.

I actually think these will be very good phones, but can we all just shut up with the unwarranted hype. Listen to them first then offer comparisons to the cd3000 or r10. If u havent heard all 3 then ****

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #1,287 of 9,173
I love when real people smack down parroting impressions.

I actually think these will be very good phones, but can we all just shut up with the unwarranted hype. Listen to them first then offer comparisons to the cd3000 or r10. If u havent heard all 3 then ****

I was referring to the statement about the CD3000 being a massed produced version of the R10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back