Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 9, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #663 of 9,173
Still can't tell if those >2k headphones are sony or another brand. Nobody explicitly said it was for sony as far as I can tell?

Based on this post that says "I was saying New sony is coming?right?here it is! the technicals would be from other Brand,You will see it 2015' I'm guessing now that he's referring to another brand.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #664 of 9,173

Still can't tell if those >2k headphones are sony or another brand. Nobody explicitly said it was for sony as far as I can tell?

Based on this post that says "I was saying New sony is coming?right?here it is! the technicals would be from other Brand,You will see it 2015' I'm guessing now that he's referring to another brand.

Brands like Audeze or even Sennheiser.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #665 of 9,173
XBA-100? Ooh cool, an update to their BA line.

P.S. Cb3723 just got banned. Anyone knows why?

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #667 of 9,173
i find the shapes of them a little weird though. i prefer the old shapes.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #669 of 9,173

I've heard neither nor am I interested in them: I hardly use my TH900 as it has a bit too much bass for me even without any EQing.

Regarding 'very good amp': it does not need that much power to move those tiny drivers. So that would not be the problem. But its simply nothing I strive for, its merely a thought that comes to mind when hearing about a 70mm headphone driver... just technical curiosity, nothing that I consider important to my listening.

I'm not just talking about bass when I say move air though (even though bass frequencies move the most air), the entire sound of the MA900 is just a powerful thing to behold, only when driven by an amp or otherwise capable source though. Straight out of a portable player, even a capable one like the DX90, and the MA900 just sounds polite and yet strangely big and stretched, then you amp it with say a P4 that has 16 volts of reserve, (that is about 6 times more power than a DX90) and it sounds like something completely different entirely, everything, bass, mids, highs becomes an out of head experience, but the most amazing part is the weight and power to the sound, it sounds like standing in front of a huge and powerful audiophile grade stereo speaker setup, something which I have not experienced to this degree before with any other headphone. It comes down to the 70mm drivers and good engineering. I can only imagine how good the Z7 will sound, and I do not doubt for a second that it will also need an amp to shine.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #670 of 9,173
  If I remember correctly, if everything else is equal a bigger driver has an advantage over a smaller driver as it requires less excursion to generate an equivalent sound pressure.  This should result in less distortion and often gives greater dynamics.  Of course, "everything else" is probably not equal and I suppose you may get to the stage where a bigger driver begins to have difficulty with higher frequencies.

Exactly. Its always a trade off with no single correct solution.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #674 of 9,173

Originally Posted by Sopp 

Here comes the XBA-100.

Wonder if they use the newer improved ba drivers with better more rigid linkage...
Maybe my eyes are a bit weird, but they look somewhat similar to Final Audio Heaven series earphones to me.

these do look similar , but the bent is to the other side on the final audio .

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #675 of 9,173
Can Z7 and D7100 share cables?

As I see it, maybe. The Z7 uses a dual sided cable. When I took another look at the D7100 I thought it was single side due to one of the cables jack having four connection made by three rings. It does look like that the Denon headphone is using both sides not a type that allows either side like with some headphones. My Sens HD598 does use a balanced cable terminated into a single ended jack. I modify my HD598 into a balanced headphone just by putting a 4-pin XLR connector on the end the cable does have 4 separate wires total from the two drivers. Sorry that I was confused by the D7100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back