Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 27, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #1,081 of 9,173
So the fit is very very good,the PADS are the Biggest SURPRICE,i Wish my TH 900 or my other flagships has this PADS

I will make other Video with help from my friend Mike(hifiguy)and then i can show you more

NOMAX

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #1,082 of 9,173
I heard these 2 days ago and was blown away but that was using the full setup with the hi res source and pha and kimber cables.

The highs were stunning Heard this.

Couldn't play my own bass track. But this was awesome. The highs were amazing even beyond the T1 but that is with their full setup. No way ..having seen the T5p or high end beyer drivers this LCP 70mm competes with them on its own.

I think folks who buy the Z7 only will be disappointed. This is the same driver though larger than the 1R which also uses LCP. Magnet assembly seems identical in design. How this can be expected to compete with flagships on it's own makes no sense and sony isnt pricing it like a flagship (i can get it for 530 bucks) They are pricing the entire setup on flagship plus source level but not even sony is touting this set of cans alone as something to rival an HD800 for example or even a Th900

What was the track and settings and source for the bass that was so clearly superior to the th?

Context?

I run the bass thread in headphones and I gotta have these just cuz I gotta ...but unless I upgrade my source or mimic the Sony setup by buying it all I'm not gonna have my mind blown like I did. Unless you lower the sub bass to not interfere with the highs your gonna get the muffle NOMAX mentioned and anyone who plays with big drivers knows that can be an issue. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. 70mm.  Folks said the xb1000 was overwhelming and this will be too but have the potential to balance and excel if configured in a way that is what Sony intended or similar.

That track by Boston through the full setup was the best listening experience I have ever had and I have heard them all though mostly jazz and classical...(They really should all  try this track
tongue.gif
...it was amazing) I know I will not get that ear orgasm again till I pay for it and it will cost me more than 530 bucks. I'm getting it for the bass and future proofing myself for a migration to hi-res eventually.

Yes that fabric over the driver is thin and see through and the pads are softer than the Th but the driver still feels very far from your ear and the soft padding will absorb a lot of hit but the pad is kinda unique in form so it feels very comfy.

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,084 of 9,173
I'll be pumping vintage power through these. Doubt I'll be disappointed and cannot wait to get my hands on these.

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #1,087 of 9,173
  Good question! I will try and find out this Thursday.  By the way, does anyone else have questions to be asked?  If I meet a Sony engineer or representative, I could try to get a few questions in.

I'm curious how closely Z7 engineers worked with PHA-3 engineers, to get the desired sound.  It seems to be a planned system, and @Hawaiibadboy seems to be confirming my suspicions...

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #1,088 of 9,173

I'm curious how closely Z7 engineers worked with PHA-3 engineers, to get the desired sound.  It seems to be a planned system, and @Hawaiibadboy seems to be confirming my suspicions...

最大入力<<<< Means maximum input power and it's 2,000mW
 (for the guy above you)

I think it was a very very close collaboration by the same project team. Literally made for each other. Combined price makes for 145,000yen approx. That puts it in line with the Fostex TH900 ,HD800,K812 (almost exactly, cans alone)

Nobody from Sony is pricing or claiming the Z7 to be in league with the Flagships. They are very interested in you following along with their concept which was the best thing I have heard in my life through a headphone. I'll leave you folks alone and go back to my bass cave but playing these off of anything not Hi-Res is a gamble that nobody from Sony is pushing.

For the price as it is which is as low as 53,000yen it's a steal IMO.

**back to the bass cave**

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #1,089 of 9,173
  最大入力<<<< Means maximum input power and it's 2,000mW
 (for the guy above you)

I think it was a very very close collaboration by the same project team. Literally made for each other. Combined price makes for 145,000yen approx. That puts it in line with the Fostex TH900 ,HD800,K812 (almost exactly, cans alone)

Nobody from Sony is pricing or claiming the Z7 to be in league with the Flagships. They are very interested in you following along with their concept which was the best thing I have heard in my life through a headphone. I'll leave you folks alone and go back to my bass cave but playing these off of anything not Hi-Res is a gamble that nobody from Sony is pushing.

For the price as it is which is as low as 53,000yen it's a steal IMO.

**back to the bass cave**

Perhaps it is part of the ecosystem of high-res gear they are creating. 

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #1,090 of 9,173
I would like a not painted native metallic like Jude's pictures, i also would like the leather a specific green, namely that green wich is specific to Sony and wich always resides on the business end of any gold plated jack accompanying all my Sony headphones to date. I would also like the logo 24 caret as well and a cable who's conductors are still visible produced in country by oyide, and who's conductors are gold plated as well. And I do not want the cables removable as I hate detachable cables unless they are locked on. As they are on my 7520. I soppose an all black pro model would do fine as I highly doubt I will see my wishes come true.

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,091 of 9,173
as a th900 owner i'm almost relieved to read your impressions nomax

I'm not a TH900 owner, but as an AH-D7000 owner wanting a TH900, I feel the similar way.

Nomax, how many hours have you burned-in the MDR-Z7?

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #1,093 of 9,173
Here my SECOND Video for you Guys(thanks to mike)

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zxWE9-Tm56c[/VIDEO]

Regards NOMAX

PS.and BOLTON Sounds GREAT with this HEADPHONES!ggggg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back