Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 17, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #796 of 9,173
  I think we're just going to have to settle for neither of us will agree on this.

what is there to agree on, TOTL means top of the line, there's no debating that: http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/TOTL

a headphone can be top of a line of products whether it sounds as good as other manufacturer's headphones or not

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #798 of 9,173
its a good thing its priced at 700.00, price doesnt always reflect performance.  Look at the Ultrasone line.  Their top line use execellent materials and construction but the sound is meh for that amount of money.  Maybe if Sony have good sales number from the Z7 they one day might bring back something similar to the R10.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #799 of 9,173
  its a good thing its priced at 700.00, price doesnt always reflect performance.  Look at the Ultrasone line.  Their top line use execellent materials and construction but the sound is meh for that amount of money.  Maybe if Sony have good sales number from the Z7 they one day might bring back something similar to the R10.

agree 100%

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #800 of 9,173
I always got the impression with the Ultrasones you're at least somewhat paying for styling.  I really hope the Z7 does well, a rebirth of the R10 would be interesting to see, as well as their old Qualia brand.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #801 of 9,173
  Don't be an ass.

The TH900 is literally a more refined TH600. They use the same driver design with different tolerances between the two headphones. They also measure almost identically and there are plenty of people who attest to their similarities.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH600.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

The TH900 has slightly less overall distortion and more controlled treble, but that's about it. You get the general gist of the TH900 from the TH600, and if you like the 600, the 900 is a logical upgrade. I did not like the TH600. Ergo, the TH900 is not for me.

>"Don't be an ass"
>Proceeds to be an ass

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #802 of 9,173
if not huge , hp50 is a step ahead for sure , and clamping force is not huge like momentum .

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #803 of 9,173

But if you want the PHA-3, like I do.......

pfff, I'm doubtful as to wheather the PHA-3 is gonna top the hm801 line out into my iBasso PB2 with it's glorious LME 49990 and dummy buffers [actually it might, the poor hm801 is ready to die any day now </3]

well, I'm just hoping it's at least on the LCD 2, HE 500 Beyer T90 Alpha Dog level, we've all heard how phenominal the Alpha Dogs sound and the like $700, let's just hope Sony get's it right

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #804 of 9,173
Ok, this question might sound like I'm putting down Sony, but I'm really not.  I haven't paid that much attention to Sony's full sized headphones in 2 or so years, not since I was disappointed with the XBs that replaced the 500, 700, 1000.  So, I'm curious what full sized headphones Sony's put out in the past 2 years that have been successes in the market.  If there's been a bunch, just a couple examples so I can see what kind of work Sony's been doing of late.  The last full sized I remember hearing good things about is the MA900, one I wish I had gotten my hands on to try.  For their audio products, I've been mainly watching their IEMs, some of which I imagine I'd like a great deal.  I just can't honestly remember hearing people rave about full sized Sony.  It'll give me something to read up on in free time while waiting on some good impressions for the Z7.

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #805 of 9,173
Jesus christ... i hit the "jump to the first new post" expecting some news about the Z7 (just as a reminder, the new Sony headphones this thread is supposed to be about) and i have to read 3 full pages of completelly unrelated comparisons between other headphones...

Try to stay on topic please guys.

** Also, who the hell is Jude? :D

it happens in most threads and there's not much else going on here anyways :wink:

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #806 of 9,173
Yeah, when there isn't much news, derailing a thread does happen from time to time.  I accidentally brought up an Austin company selling a 99-pack of beer in a thread, and completely derailed it for a few pages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back