Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
May 31, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #7,081 of 9,173
I must have strange ears.
Using mojo as source.

I hear a big bass when it's in the track but not otherwise overbearing.

Mids are a little thin but not like some people describe. I hear something odd around the vocal area. Not sure what.

The highs I find actually almost bright on some of my music. On well recorded typical audiophile stuff through I find it quite nice.

I was listening to one fellows review that states if you think the hd650 sounds veiled you will think the z7 sounds like it's in a sleeping bag or some such thing. I could not disagree more. I actually find the hd650 darker.

I love both headphones. Plan on getting a hd650 shortly for home and leave my Sony at work. But yeah.

Need to look up what the benefits of the z7 mods are. See if it's worth my while.

May 31, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #7,082 of 9,173
If you mean upper mids, yes, they are not forward there. The strange thing with vocals is when there is a lot of energy in the 800 to 1 khz region where there is a bump in the response, made worse by internal reflections. Mods smoothed that out a bit, but it's still there. I'd resorted to an EQ cut of -3 db at 1 khz, -1 db at 500 and a boost of 1 db at 32 hz and 16 khz. That does it  for me.

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #7,084 of 9,173
I prefer the Z7 over the 1A as it is more balanced with less spikes making it less fatiguing. Having said that it is not as portable so is more of an at home headphone where as the 1A can be used anywhere. They share a similar signature though so think of the Z7 as a refined experience.

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #7,089 of 9,173
I bought and eventually sold the 100AAP it was good but the signature was not quite as dynamic as the 1A or Z7. I am not saying it's no good as I do think its a good headphone especially if you think the bass of the 1A is to much.

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #7,091 of 9,173
My friend from Germany auctioned the Z7's for me in a store and he likes them for classical muisc, in short terms he told me Lean and balanced sound, nice mids and highs and nice "bass on demand" scheme. but bass goes really deep with organ music and double bass, insane amount of details and 3D stage that is HUGE... his only con was the "open" desing cause he could hear all the noises form the store.

I hope when i go to germany i can get them for a discount

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #7,092 of 9,173
  My friend from Germany auctioned the Z7's for me in a store and he likes them for classical muisc, in short terms he told me Lean and balanced sound, nice mids and highs and nice "bass on demand" scheme. but bass goes really deep with organ music and double bass, insane amount of details and 3D stage that is HUGE... his only con was the "open" desing cause he could hear all the noises form the store.

I hope when i go to germany i can get them for a discount

A stock Z7 is far from being called "lean" with roll off high.  Bass is definitely a bit bloated and can be a bit much at time and could use some tightening.  It is reasonably detailed and the soundstage is indeeded very wide and deep which is not bad for a semi-open design.  IMO, of course.  Thanks to @ Whitigir and a cable upgrade, the Z7 can sound a lot nicer.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #7,093 of 9,173
When run in balanced mode or with a good IEM the Z7 are not to bloated in my opinion. For gerelmx1986 coming for XBA-A3 the Z7 will be a bit leaner sounding than your A3.

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #7,094 of 9,173
Anyone know of a cheaper portable cable for the Z7. Was looking into the kimber cable put its too high for me. Is it worth that much for a cable?
I like the stock cable but it's too long for portable use. I used twisty ties to make it shorter but my daughter asked me why am I wearing a necklace:hugging:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back