Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
May 26, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #7,066 of 9,173
May 26, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #7,067 of 9,173
  I've become rather intrigued by this decidedly divisive headphone.

Given that Secondipity has been offering the MDR-Z7 factory refurbished for $320 and I found a 10% off coupon which took $32 off that price, I decided to purchase a pair.

I'll probably keep them stock through the 90 day warranty... after that I might consider mods depending on how I like their stock sound.

I'm a big open headphone fan and my current go to head phones are the Hifiman 400 series, yes I own all three model and think they are fantastic in their own ways.  I also have the old standby HD600 along with DT880 250 and Philips Fidelio X2 to round out my open headphones.

Only closed phones I'm using these days are T70p and occasionally V-Moda M100 and a set of rarely used AKG K553s at the office.

I'm not sure how I'll react to the Z7.  It is hard to gauge based on the level of love and hate and to be honest it seems like those who hate these phones genuinely hate them and those that love them only love them after mods.

I didn't like mine all that much right out of the box, and was VERY disappointed. I also PM'd Whitigir countless times about their very laid back signature. (Thanks for your patience Whitigir).
atsmile.gif
 I specifically remember thinking that I didn't think they sounded as good as my almost 15 year old $150 MDR-V700's they were replacing. After about 2 weeks and probably 50 hours of listening they started to grow on me. 

I've now had them for over 2 months, and put a couple hundred hours on them. They've continued to grow on me and my brain has now adjusted to their signature to the point where I can honestly say they are the best sounding headphones I've ever heard in my life. It's true they have a dark signature but once your brain adjusts you realize all the music is there. They are also supremely comfortable and non fatiguing and I can wear them for hours with no problem.

The only upgrade I've made to my Z7 up to this point is the 1.2 meter 3.5 mm single ended Kimber Kable (MUC-B12SM1) which I believe is a worthy upgrade. It tightened up the sub bass and brought the highs more forward, but not to the point where they cause fatigue.

I've only run my Z7 straight out and iPod Classic, iPhone 6 and laptop so I can't comment on any improvements which may be gained by using a good amp/dac. I'm currently saving for one. 

The Z7 may not be a headphone you'll like but give them at least 100 hrs of honest listening before you decide to unload them. They definitely take some time to get used to. 

Once the 1 year warranty period is over, I'll probably send mine to Whitigir for at least a internal wire upgrade. I can't help but think that will further improve their sound.

May 26, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #7,068 of 9,173
 Kimber Kable (MUC-B12SM1) brought the highs more forward

You've got good cable. The internal tape mod will ease midrange resonance / reflections. If you want brighter still, go with solid core silver wire inside. For more clarity without as much brightness, solid core copper is better, for a little better bass slam too.

May 26, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #7,069 of 9,173
Good afternoon everyone. Purchased Z7 yesterday, and audition it with A17. Sounded much cleaner than MDR-1A. The only thing that didn't make sense was that 1A was way louder than Z7. I know the A1 does not sound great too loud, but the Z7 was not as loud with the volume all the way up. Could anyone explain? Is the A17 at fault? Can the A17 drive these headphones?

May 26, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #7,070 of 9,173
Good afternoon everyone. Purchased Z7 yesterday, and audition it with A17. Sounded much cleaner than MDR-1A. The only thing that didn't make sense was that 1A was way louder than Z7. I know the A1 does not sound great too loud, but the Z7 was not as loud with the volume all the way up. Could anyone explain? Is the A17 at fault? Can the A17 drive these headphones?

I think it is because the Z7 is 70ohm, and the 1A is 24ohm. That means the 1A is getting a bit more power out of your A17 than the Z7 is. I too went from the 1A to the Z7 and they are much better headphones. I would suggest getting some kind of amp. If you don't want to spend a lot, I use the FiiO E12 and it has plenty of power for the Z7. If money is no object, go for the Sony PHA-3 
beyersmile.png

May 26, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #7,071 of 9,173

The 1A also has a higher sensitivity (105) verses the Z7 (102), so you have use more volume to get them to play as loud.

May 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #7,072 of 9,173
Thanks tekwrx! Appreciate the quick response. That's what I had in mind. I'm traveling within two weeks. I need amp asap. How good is Fiio Mont Blanc E 12?

May 26, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #7,073 of 9,173
Thanks tekwrx! Appreciate the quick response. That's what I had in mind. I'm traveling within two weeks. I need amp asap. How good is Fiio Mont Blanc E 12?

For the price, I think the E12 is excellent. Yes, there are better sounding amps but they are much more expensive. It has plenty of power for the Z7. I find that the bass boost switch really compliments the Z7 sound on certain tracks. But I guess I'm a borderline basshead 
wink_face.gif

May 27, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #7,076 of 9,173
What's the cable model/name?

The one I'm using is Blue Heaven. They make a next level Heimdall2 with 4-pin XLR. I am thinking of upgrading to Heimdall2.

http://nordost.com/leif/blue-heaven/blue-heaven-headphone-cable.php

http://nordost.com/norse2/heimdall2/heimdall2-headphone-cable.php

May 27, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #7,078 of 9,173
Very nice Vince!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back