Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 19, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #6,271 of 9,173
This or the HD650? Which is better mids and is better for most genres?

To me they are pretty equal once well amped. Straight out of a DAP the Sony is better, because he does not require so much energy than the HD650. I like both of them for voices male and female. Take Angus and Julia Stone as a good example. Lovely on both cans.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #6,272 of 9,173
My favorite part of that cables description is "Custom, Genuine, original". Hahahaha so what is it? Custom or original? We are looking at it like the seller is stupid, but they're only exploiting how stupid consumers can be.

Might not be either.

Seller might simply be using different keywords with similar meanings
so as to increase views of the listing.

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #6,273 of 9,173

Might not be either.

Seller might simply be using different keywords with similar meanings
so as to increase views of the listing.

maybe it is a language issue?

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #6,276 of 9,173
I like both I guess, I mainly listen to pop and rock.

Take the Z7. It is much more engaging than the HD650, especially for Pop. Listened to the new Adele album to compare them. You will love the Z7.

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #6,277 of 9,173
I personally cannot stand the HD650. I bought a set a little while back and was pretty excited because people rave about them, but all I was hearing was MUSH! So much low-mid bass, it was thick and just unpleasing. I had owned the HD580 and HD600 before that so I thought it would be similar to those at least a little, but it was all just muddy to my ears. The treble clarity was OK, the bass was decent, but I was totally distracted by the mid-bass hump.

Sold those and bought an HD700. The HD700 is like an open-back Z7 sound-wise. I could sell the Z7 and get an HD700 and have about the same signature with a slightly wider sound stage, but the Z7 is too damn sexy.

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #6,278 of 9,173
I personally cannot stand the HD650. I bought a set a little while back and was pretty excited because people rave about them, but all I was hearing was MUSH! So much low-mid bass, it was thick and just unpleasing. I had owned the HD580 and HD600 before that so I thought it would be similar to those at least a little, but it was all just muddy to my ears. The treble clarity was OK, the bass was decent, but I was totally distracted by the mid-bass hump.

Sold those and bought an HD700. The HD700 is like an open-back Z7 sound-wise. I could sell the Z7 and get an HD700 and have about the same signature with a slightly wider sound stage, but the Z7 is too damn sexy.

Now, Z7 still has that powerful mid-bass, but somehow it is just so dang pleasing. I think the Z7 while having "bass", it is fairly balanced within the bass-frequencies spectrum. It is kind of funny, some people dis-like Z7 "bass", some people find it "not-enough". What funnier is that Z7 bass varies a lot through different sources. For instance, it bass is thicker and boomer with Zx2, with TRRS out on Zx2 it is faster, still thick, but toned deeper, with my receiver when I watch movies it is tighter (not faster) and not as deep....with V10 smartphone it is tighter, deeper, faster, and less boomy....etc. I prefer using it straight out of Zx2, so I made changes to it. Now it is just magical with zx2 and TRRS. I had tastefully mod it (invasive processes) into satisfying trebles range with wet, and fluid, detailed bass. I love it. :wink:

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #6,279 of 9,173

Now, Z7 still has that powerful mid-bass, but somehow it is just so dang pleasing. I think the Z7 while having "bass", it is fairly balanced within the bass-frequencies spectrum. It is kind of funny, some people dis-like Z7 "bass", some people find it "not-enough". What funnier is that Z7 bass varies a lot through different sources. For instance, it bass is thicker and boomer with Zx2, with TRRS out on Zx2 it is faster, still thick, but toned deeper, with my receiver when I watch movies it is tighter (not faster) and not as deep....with V10 smartphone it is tighter, deeper, faster, and less boomy....etc. I prefer using it straight out of Zx2, so I made changes to it. Now it is just magical with zx2 and TRRS. I had tastefully mod it (invasive processes) into satisfying trebles range with wet, and fluid, detailed bass. I love it.
wink.gif

I love the stock sound of the Z7. You are absolutely right about it varying between sources. I normally just listen to them with the 4 foot 8-wire Nucleotide cable straight out of my LG G3 and they sound great, but when I listen to them through my Centrance Hifi M8 I do not like the sound. It's pretty strange what the Hifi-M8 does to them, I can't tell exactly what it is but I am just not a fan. I think the G3 focuses more on the low end which is what I love about them, and the M8 reduces the bass and makes them less entertaining. I haven't spent enough time with them on the M8 to totally figure out what the problem is, but I don't really care since the G3 can satisfy my needs with them.

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #6,280 of 9,173
Too late... but thanks anyway, will keep that seller in memory for future purchases of Japanese goods.

Overall the price is about the same as I paid on eBay though. Where did you see that cable for 1100,-?

Hi did you receive the cable already? Please share your impressions. I am more concerned about the stiffness of the cable than the sound. I.e. The handling of it.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #6,281 of 9,173
Hi did you receive the cable already? Please share your impressions. I am more concerned about the stiffness of the cable than the sound. I.e. The handling of it.

Sorry, not yet... I received a shipment notice the same day they set the price back to normal, but the time estimate was quite diffuse (international postal service can take quite some time and does not offer tracking information unfortunately). But I expect it this or next week.

Regarding stiffness I think the symmetric Kimber cable I already own is a good indication actually: its a bit stiffer than a normal (rubber coated) cable, but does not hinder usage. It tends to keep a form and it doesn't twist easily, but its not unpleasant to handle. I expect the single-ended cable to feel the same... there's just the question how that works together with the 90° connector.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #6,282 of 9,173

I have a funny relationship with the HD650. Whenever I want to discredit it for being old, under responsive or whatever, I put it on my skull to prove it. And boy, the Empire strikes back every f...... time and proves me wrong. So my second brand new bought HD650 has good chances to survive them all. Listening to Adele's 25 album with it right now. Btw, I sold my HD700 not too long ago, because it did not get any headtime anymore. Funny how different we all perceive sound.

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #6,284 of 9,173
Take the Z7. It is much more engaging than the HD650, especially for Pop. Listened to the new Adele album to compare them. You will love the Z7.

Is her new album better recorded than her other albums? I hope so, I do enjoy her music, but the recordings are kind of rough. I haven't listened to them in a while, so maybe I am remembering them as being worse than they are. Anyway, I do really like her material so I'll get 25 soon.

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #6,285 of 9,173
  Is her new album better recorded than her other albums? I hope so, I do enjoy her music, but the recordings are kind of rough. I haven't listened to them in a while, so maybe I am remembering them as being worse than they are. Anyway, I do really like her material so I'll get 25 soon.

I find the recording quality quite good. The recordings are not rough, it's her voice. The Z7 renders her voice perfectly, straight out of my ZX1. Love the way that the bass is laid out to the ears and skin..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back