Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 13, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #4,591 of 9,173
  Indeed, the 'Lamborghini' stamp doesn't come cheap either.
rolleyes.gif

Exactly.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #4,592 of 9,173

Thanks Bill, I need the adapter as my M3 amp only has the speaker tap cable as a way to hook up a headphone, and it is terminated 4 pin XLR. I would love to get an adapter made by you so if this is something you might do by all means PM me and we can get the details worked out. Anyway, I'm stoked to have the large drivers as I have learned that as a field of sound lover, I like the sonic scale that bigger drivers provide. There is a reason all the really highly regarded headphones have larger drivers. No 40mm flagship drivers that I have ever heard of. Sorry guys, but to a point, size counts.

How about reterminating the included cable for the PHA-3 to 4 pin XLR?

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #4,593 of 9,173

How about reterminating the included cable for the PHA-3 to 4 pin XLR?

Now that might be a great idea, I'll know once it gets here. I did manage to get hold of Trevor at Norne so I'm waiting for a quote. Ideally I would go through the entire Norne cable I have with the shortest adapter possible, but I think your suggestion is a very good one and I will really consider this. Thanks for the thought.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #4,594 of 9,173
Now that might be a great idea, I'll know once it gets here. I did manage to get hold of Trevor at Norne so I'm waiting for a quote. Ideally I would go through the entire Norne cable I have with the shortest adapter possible, but I think your suggestion is a very good one and I will really consider this. Thanks for the thought.

If you look back a couple pages there's one that I modified that is terminated to a 4 pin XLR with the stock 1/4" connector as an adapter.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #4,595 of 9,173
Well, I'll soon have my answer about these headphones. I have recently realized I also like to have a fun sound signature around as long as it is competent. Sometimes I read reviews that make it sound like the Z7 is not very good, others think it is amazing. I have found that for some they are instantly tuned into what isn't perfect (as if paying $400-500 should get perfection anyway) and as such they harshly judge minor flaws and represent them as sonic crimes against humanity. I am hoping that the Z7 is an improved version of my MDR 1A, which while far from accurate, is a pretty darn easy to listen to headphone. I have the stellar 560 for closer to neutral and accurate sessions, now I hope I have a fun tilted toward big, somewhat bass centric sound in the Z7. I have regretted selling my D7000 and I half hope the Z7 brings some of that sound back into my system.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #4,596 of 9,173
My only advice would be to give the Z7 plenty of head time before making judgement.  Plenty here "poo poo'd" them after a short audition...

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #4,597 of 9,173
  My only advice would be to give the Z7 plenty of head time before making judgement.  Plenty here "poo poo'd" them after a short audition...

I'm going to. Even without having them on I am fairly sure they will be quite enjoyable. I'm not trying to get a reference headphone, but I do want something fun that offers me quality, and a different enough experience from the 560. I'll admit, I'm also really digging how the Z7 looks and the idea of having a massive 70mm driver isn't hard to like. I'm not a bass head, but I certainly want some bass energy available at times. I'm glad the 560 do an impressive job already there. I will give my brain enough time to acclimate before making any decisions.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #4,598 of 9,173
I find that many people who seem to be judging the Z7 harshly either want Sony to remake one of their past headphones instead of just accepting that Sony had a different idea in mind for the Z7, or they want the characteristics of another headphone altogether.

I personally have owned the D7000 and sold them and also regretted selling. The Z7 is not the same sonically but I do prefer it as it has pushed mids and more relaxed treble.

I do think The Z7 changes with use as the bass settles down a bit and more importantly the treble becomes more precise.

I own both Z7 and Z5 and while my pocket book is unhappy, I have found the best one two punch tandem I have owned since coming to Head-fi.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #4,599 of 9,173
I find that many people who seem to be judging the Z7 harshly either want Sony to remake one of their past headphones instead of just accepting that Sony had a different idea in mind for the Z7, or they want the characteristics of another headphone altogether.

I personally have owned the D7000 and sold them and also regretted selling. The Z7 is not the same sonically but I do prefer it as it has pushed mids and more relaxed treble.

I do think The Z7 changes with use as the bass settles down a bit and more importantly the treble becomes more precise.

I own both Z7 and Z5 and while my pocket book is unhappy, I have found the best one two punch tandem I have owned since coming to Head-fi.

Thanks, read your review before deciding to buy these. I'm glad you still seem to like your choice. Yes the D7000 was a keeper, and I really should have kept it. I'm expecting to like the Z7 and I know full well many people find fault simply because they feel compelled to do so. For instance, my MDR 1A, absolutely not a reference headphone, but damn fun for portable use. I'm hoping the Z7 is a more refined version of that signature as more bass control over the 1A would be nice.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #4,600 of 9,173
I found each Model a step up from the previous one in Sony's current line up so suspect you will enjoy the Z7 based on your enjoyment of the 1A.

I have owned a lot of headphones and IEMs and as can be seen I have usually ended changing when I got bored or started to not like the signature. I have had the Z7 for several months now and the Z5 since early December and have ZERO desire to change either of them and that includes having to have my Z5 replaced which is the type of problem that often makes me switch products. But while the Z5 was being fixed I tried two IEMs that I immediately regretted buying and could not wait for the Z5 to come back.

My challenge has always been finding a headphone/IEM that didn't have an area in its signature that was either fatiguing or boring. Both of these headphones have managed to straddle the line between those two areas very well. The bass on both models can be a bit off putting for lovers of flat punchy bass especially out of the box but once broken in I love how the bass can hit such amazing lows with ease while never feeling out of place or over cooked when not needed.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #4,601 of 9,173
I would get these cans right now if you're interested in them. They're really amazing and I like them better than anything in this price range. 

The prices in Europe have suddenly doubled, which most of the time indicates a stop in production... I already ordered a second pair, just in case (without VAT, these are pretty cheap).

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #4,602 of 9,173
Well, I don't think I'm being overly harsh with the Z7 because I'm expecting something different. In fact, Tyll already measured my Z7, and found the change in sound signature to be more of a gentle nudge than a drastic 180 turn.

And I think that's basically it. The stock tuning of the Z7 is just... "almost there", but not quite. Granted, it's not bad, but given how the headphone sounds now, I think Sony could very well have done more to it.

You can probably argue that they had a specific goal in mind and all, but given how much they released this headphone for ($699), I think some would feel compelled to compare it to other headphones 'round there, and it just falls very short of achieving the same performance as the >$500 crowd.

Granted, after modding, I think the Z7 is a fantastic headphone, but not all have the luxury to mod it. I feel lucky for having attempted modding and pushing it this far. Ofherwise, I'd have already sold it as the stock Z7 is just not the right kind of sound for me.

And that's the honest version of my "beef" with the Z7. Without even getting into why I prefer some planar magnetic headphones, and so on...

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #4,603 of 9,173
I think that some parts of a headphone, like comfort and design, are also important. The Z7 is by far the most comfortable headphone available. It also doesn't need crazy amounts of amplification and the sound is lovely. I do not understand why it is regarded as "quite not there", the Sony engineers could have applied some dampening, they didn't.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #4,604 of 9,173
Well, I don't think I'm being overly harsh with the Z7 because I'm expecting something different. In fact, Tyll already measured my Z7, and found the change in sound signature to be more of a gentle nudge than a drastic 180 turn.

And I think that's basically it. The stock tuning of the Z7 is just... "almost there", but not quite. Granted, it's not bad, but given how the headphone sounds now, I think Sony could very well have done more to it.

You can probably argue that they had a specific goal in mind and all, but given how much they released this headphone for ($699), I think some would feel compelled to compare it to other headphones 'round there, and it just falls very short of achieving the same performance as the >$500 crowd.

Granted, after modding, I think the Z7 is a fantastic headphone, but not all have the luxury to mod it. I feel lucky for having attempted modding and pushing it this far. Ofherwise, I'd have already sold it as the stock Z7 is just not the right kind of sound for me.

And that's the honest version of my "beef" with the Z7. Without even getting into why I prefer some planar magnetic headphones, and so on...

Hey Bill, your opinions weren't what I was referring to, I have read your thoughts here and elsewhere, and they seem balanced. I have here and elsewhere read opinions that were based in my mind anyway, on expecting way to much from a headphone even at the MSRP. You know and respect the 560 sound even stock, but there are people who will tell you for that price they are a failure. Who knows what I will ultimately feel about the Z7. I should have it by Thursday and the adapter about a week after that so I will hear them soon enough. Even before the adapter arrives I will still hear them through my old Pioneer SX780 receiver that I use to play my drumming music so at least I'll get a sense of the flavor. Really looking forward to what the M3 will do with these. I hope the extra sensitivity as compared to the 560 won't reveal any noise previously hidden. The M3 is well designed sonically so I think noise won't be an issue.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #4,605 of 9,173
Hey Bill, your opinions weren't what I was referring to, I have read your thoughts here and elsewhere, and they seem balanced. I have here and elsewhere read opinions that were based in my mind anyway, on expecting way to much from a headphone even at the MSRP. You know and respect the 560 sound even stock, but there are people who will tell you for that price they are a failure. Who knows what I will ultimately feel about the Z7. I should have it by Thursday and the adapter about a week after that so I will hear them soon enough. Even before the adapter arrives I will still hear them through my old Pioneer SX780 receiver that I use to play my drumming music so at least I'll get a sense of the flavor. Really looking forward to what the M3 will do with these. I hope the extra sensitivity as compared to the 560 won't reveal any noise previously hidden. The M3 is well designed sonically so I think noise won't be an issue.

Oh no, I meant to direct that post at dweaver. :)

And yeah, I think... when I got the Z7 in, I was a bit underwhelmed. The HE-560 was more of an impact for me when it first got in. And having the 560 back then to compare to the Z7 made it even worse. The Z7 was so far behind that I didn't even think I should bother with modding. But I tried anyway, and I got somewhere.

But I do recognize that not everyone will try that, and so... you may very well feel as underwhelmed by the sound as I did.

All it really is, I think, is just expectation management. The hobby is riddled with so many new offerings these days, and people rave about things so much that it's kinda hard to keep track of how something would fit into one's personal preference. Not to say the Z7 isn't a good headphone. I love mine to death. Comfort is top notch, and now sound is equally good. But it's just not the $700 bombshell that Sony would have us believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back