Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 12, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #4,576 of 9,173

I'd ask Trevor to do it... so that you wouldn't have to go through me for something that might just take some extra needless time.

If you'd like Trevor to do it, the Z7 is essentially like this: the tip of the 3.5mm plug is the + or positive node, and the ring of the plug (not the sleeve, which is typically connected to ground) is the - or negative node. This is true for both sides. I think what would be better is to have the Norne cable terminated into 3.5mm plugs for the Z7, and then have two 3.5mm to Hifiman adapters that would allow you to attach the cable to the HE-560 then, since the screwing mechanism of the HE-560 is quite a nightmare to get to with a cable. An adapter would make more sense.

And that way, you can have a Norne cable that'll work with both headphones.

Ideally, though, I'd say... you should get a pure silver or silver-plated-copper (thicker cable than stock) for the Z7, since it can sound quite a bit more muffled compared to the HE-560 if you use a copper cable like the Norne.

My Norne cable is pure litz silver actually. I would be very happy if you would be interested in doing it as Trevor is very busy so he will be quite slow to get it done, and he hasn't replied to my last few messages either so I can only assume he is extremely busy. I also like that you have the Z7 there to make sure the adapter ends fit well into the cups. If you are not interested or able to do this at this time I totally understand, but if you are then I am really interested in getting things going. Either way it is all good, and a fall back position can be the original adapter for single ended as the stock Sony termination to an adapter for a four pin XLR.

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #4,577 of 9,173
Bill, the other issue is if I had the cable re-terminated by Trevor I would have no headphones for weeks, plus the crazy expense of shipping both ways. I'm willing to take your suggestion/advice here so feel free.

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #4,578 of 9,173
Ah, okay.

Well, I think I'll have some free time after CanJam in 2 weeks, so I'd be happy to tackle this for you.

Essentially, as I understand it, you'd like me to convert the Norne cable so that it works with the Z7 for you, right? That should not be too hard. I've already transitioned a BTG cable to work with the Z7 before.

beerchug.gif

---------

Oh, and now I'm wondering if there'll be any Z7 owner attending CanJam.

I'd love to hear my Z7 next to a stock one to see if what I've done has made a big enough difference or not. Haha

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #4,579 of 9,173
  Ah, okay.

Well, I think I'll have some free time after CanJam in 2 weeks, so I'd be happy to tackle this for you.

Essentially, as I understand it, you'd like me to convert the Norne cable so that it works with the Z7 for you, right? That should not be too hard. I've already transitioned a BTG cable to work with the Z7 before.

beerchug.gif

---------

Oh, and now I'm wondering if there'll be any Z7 owner attending CanJam.

I'd love to hear my Z7 next to a stock one to see if what I've done has made a big enough difference or not. Haha

Great, I'll check in again soon. Just to be clear, I need adapters made (if possible) so the adapters would have a threaded end that the connectors on the Norne cable could screw onto, and this would be attached to a 3.5mm jack that would fit into the cup on the Z7. Does that make sense? I guess all of this should have been in a PM so as to avoid cluttering the thread up. Sorry people, my bad.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #4,580 of 9,173
Received the PHA-3 today. $3K after the search for my K240DF replacement began. I finally found the perfect sound to my liking!

MDR-Z7 + RME-UCX = as clear as your can get, but also very dry and there is a recess at the upper mid that make many female vocal sound bad!

MDR-Z7 + Apogee Duet 1 = Too bright!

MDR-Z7 + RME-UCX or Duet + Burson Soloist = Mid and High stay the same but the Low loss most of it punch even those it louder!

MDR-Z7 + PHA-3(DSEE-HX on) = High and Low not very open!

MDR-Z7 + PHA-3(DSEE-HX on) + Soloist = Perfect Hi-Fi sound that I was look for, the Low is now both loud and firm, Mid still a bit recess but far better then with the RME-UCX alone! The part that surprised me is the high now sound as open as the RME-UCX. Finally a full and detailed sound!

I am finally a happy man but have to work much harder now to earn that $3K back!

(According to Sony website, DSEE-HX is an up sampling algorithm that smooth out the sound when up sample to 24/96. Its seem to also add a special v-shape to the curve that I like a lot!)

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #4,581 of 9,173

I'd ask Trevor to do it... so that you wouldn't have to go through me for something that might just take some extra needless time.

If you'd like Trevor to do it, the Z7 is essentially like this: the tip of the 3.5mm plug is the + or positive node, and the ring of the plug (not the sleeve, which is typically connected to ground) is the - or negative node. This is true for both sides. I think what would be better is to have the Norne cable terminated into 3.5mm plugs for the Z7, and then have two 3.5mm to Hifiman adapters that would allow you to attach the cable to the HE-560 then, since the screwing mechanism of the HE-560 is quite a nightmare to get to with a cable. An adapter would make more sense.

And that way, you can have a Norne cable that'll work with both headphones.

Ideally, though, I'd say... you should get a pure silver or silver-plated-copper (thicker cable than stock) for the Z7, since it can sound quite a bit more muffled compared to the HE-560 if you use a copper cable like the Norne.

My Norne cable is pure litz silver actually. I would be very happy if you would be interested in doing it as Trevor is very busy so he will be quite slow to get it done, and he hasn't replied to my last few messages either so I can only assume he is extremely busy. I also like that you have the Z7 there to make sure the adapter ends fit well into the cups. If you are not interested or able to do this at this time I totally understand, but if you are then I am really interested in getting things going. Either way it is all good, and a fall back position can be the original adapter for single ended as the stock Sony termination to an adapter for a four pin XLR.

Just got a nice pure silver cable for the z7 from John over at Surf Cables.

As others have mentioned, the silver definitely brightens the highs. It also seems to have tamed the z7's bass a little and I'm hearing a bit more soundstage.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #4,582 of 9,173
Just got a nice pure silver cable for the z7 from John over at Surf Cables.

As others have mentioned, the silver definitely brightens the highs. It also seems to have tamed the z7's bass a little and I'm hearing a bit more soundstage.

I got a Kimber cable for Z7 from Sony Korea as a event. How does Kimber cable for Z7 compares to silver cable from Surf Cable? I am actually thinking to get one but I might as well ask you.

Thanks for any inputs :)

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #4,583 of 9,173
I got a Kimber cable for Z7 from Sony Korea as a event. How does Kimber cable for Z7 compares to silver cable from Surf Cable? I am actually thinking to get one but I might as well ask you.

Thanks for any inputs
smily_headphones1.gif

Never tried the Kimber cable (too expensive).

As far as I know, the kimber is full copper but has more strands/braids (stock is silver-plated).

The Surf Cable I had custom built is full silver and was still significantly less than the kimber.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #4,584 of 9,173

Never tried the Kimber cable (too expensive).

As far as I know, the kimber is full copper but has more strands/braids (stock is silver-plated).

The Surf Cable I had custom built is full silver and was still significantly less than the kimber.

It was cheaper because "SONY" isn't stamped on it. Not that I think Sony products are overpriced or anything like that, but they probably charge more for the labor of braiding an 8 wire cable than a boutique cable company.

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #4,588 of 9,173
Well no, kimber is just the type of wire that Sony uses on their cable, they don't make it. They build the cable and use their own connectors.

Yeah, and they probably even came pre-braided. I'm just saying the Kimber Kable stamp doesn't come cheap either.

Personally I think it's silly that these cables are several times more expensive than what most 'normal' people would even spend on a complete headphone.

That being said, if people are actually willing to pay the asking price for these there could possibly be something to it...

Flawed logic, perhaps, but I would like to hear it for myself.. :)

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #4,589 of 9,173
They probably have a machine that braids the wires, it's a complicated braid. 

Value is all based on perspective, so people who have the money to pay for a $1000 pair of headphones might think a cable for their investment that is higher quality could be worth a couple hundred dollars. People who don't have that kind of money might think a little differently. 

Did you know that a vinyl top for a convertible Lamborghini costs $20,000? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back