Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jan 7, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #3,842 of 9,173
Nothing fatiguing to my ears. I have also owned the D7000 and would say the Z7 has more sub bass than them and stronger midrange as well. The D7000 has a lot stronger treble though which for me is part of why I am enjoying the Z7 as I have come to enjoy the gentler treble.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #3,843 of 9,173
The Denon D5000/7000 and later the Fostex TH600/900 lines have much stronger and pronounced treble.
The Z7 is none like the above models and I don't consider it as fatiguing.
If the "treble-head" inside me kicks-in, I have HD800 within reached.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #3,845 of 9,173

yeah sorry, forgot to mention the highs (which appear to be tamed on the Z7 cf the denons).

how do you compare the bass? (in particular sub vs mid bass)

I've already sold the TH600 sometimes back and based on memory, the TH600 has deeper and punchier sub bass, whereas the Z7 mid bass is more pronounced than the sub bass.
That's why some users opine that the bass in Z7 is a bit boomy or woollier. It could due to the more mid bass quantity.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #3,846 of 9,173

I've already sold the TH600 sometimes back and based on memory, the TH600 has deeper and punchier sub bass, whereas the Z7 mid bass is more pronounced than the sub bass.
That's why some users opine that the bass in Z7 is a bit boomy or woollier. It could due to the more mid bass quantity.

ah yeah, that's what i thought. hence why i was surprised at dweaver saying Z7 has more sub-bass than D7000.

I was discussing with Oregonian in the bass lounge, and his views appear to be consistent with yours:

in terms of bass quantity (disregarding quality/tightness), where would you place the Z7 amongst the old denons?

my take seems to be that the Z7 tames the highs of the denons (which is what i'm after), but has more mid-bass and less sub-bass. ideally i think i would like the sub-bass of the denons with the highs of the Z7.

Very comparable in quantity and agree it would be more mid bass than the incredible sub bass if the Denons. When I go bak and goth, which I am this morning with my stok D5000's, the signature is close and the bass is the real differentiation point. A little bit more treble energy with the Denons as well.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #3,847 of 9,173
I would agree the Z7 has more midbass than the D7000 but I also think it has more sub bass. But it may also depend on where everyone thinks sub bass ends and mid bass begins.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #3,848 of 9,173
sub bass is anything below 60 hz

There are many different positions on it (eq guides differing as well) but the center of a good thump is around 50 hz. Between 30 and 80 or so is where the best action is. Below 35 hz or so is felt and heard but more rumbly than snappy most of the time. My focal alpha 65's thuml extremely hard but only reach to 40hz. Studio subwoofers barely ever go even as low as most claim their headphones to roll off at. The truth is that where ppl say there is no sub bass they are only reallllly speaking comparatively and next to the mid bass(obviously there are exceptions) The z7 has plenty of sub bass but its mid bass hoggs the stage. It has plenty bass below 60hz.

When I find a hp to have bass murking the clarity I find the upper bass to be the largest culprit. Eqing a dip in the upper bass helps my z7 some

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #3,849 of 9,173
Hmm, I thought sub bass went higher so I will defer to others regarding sub bass.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #3,850 of 9,173
^how much higher? 80hz?For studios sub woofer monitors usually go from 100-25hz in a very rough estimate. A lot of equalization charts show the sub bass starting as low as 45hz. Popular sub woofers even have the limited range of 50hz -35hz only built for sub bass monitoring.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #3,851 of 9,173
I thought it was 100hz or below. In this case though I think people are thinking more along the line of 60hz. To be honest I don't remember the D7000 sounding as deep as the Z7 but I don't have both to A/B so can't prove or disprove anything either. I will just say the Z7 sounds more bassy to me and leave it at that.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #3,853 of 9,173
Ya I would say the Z7 has sub bass and in my opinion it is quite deep. I like it more than remembering liking the D7000 in that regard.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #3,855 of 9,173
sub bass is anything below 60 hz

There are many different positions on it (eq guides differing as well) but the center of a good thump is around 50 hz. Between 30 and 80 or so is where the best action is. Below 35 hz or so is felt and heard but more rumbly than snappy most of the time. My focal alpha 65's thuml extremely hard but only reach to 40hz. Studio subwoofers barely ever go even as low as most claim their headphones to roll off at. The truth is that where ppl say there is no sub bass they are only reallllly speaking comparatively and next to the mid bass(obviously there are exceptions) The z7 has plenty of sub bass but its mid bass hoggs the stage. It has plenty bass below 60hz.

When I find a hp to have bass murking the clarity I find the upper bass to be the largest culprit. Eqing a dip in the upper bass helps my z7 some

Sub-bass is 40 Hz and lower. A Wikipedia entry stating that the sub-bass begins at 60 Hz is wrong. If it were up to me to decide I'd say the sub bass is 35 Hz and below. The 40 Hz tone still has the cohesion and integrity, it holds well and is not breaking up yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back