Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 25, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3,481 of 9,173
im not an audiophile or anything. but i just tried the MDRz7 at the sony store with a line out from the PHA-3 to my iPhone5 playing some 320kbps MP3 files. and im not impressed. for $699 its def not worth it. i personally like the Denon D600 better. The Z7 just has a better soundstage and thats it!

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #3,482 of 9,173
i dont know though it was pretty loud in the store so i may have to go back for a second listen.

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #3,484 of 9,173
i dont know though it was pretty loud in the store so i may have to go back for a second listen.

A second listen never hurts. I suggest going with higher resolution material too. My experience with less expensive setups than the PHA-3 and Z7 showed me out wasn't worth it to play anything mp3 or similar. I suggest trying Apple Lossless on an iOS device.

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3,485 of 9,173
A second listen never hurts. I suggest going with higher resolution material too. My experience with less expensive setups than the PHA-3 and Z7 showed me out wasn't worth it to play anything mp3 or similar. I suggest trying Apple Lossless on an iOS device.

ok i will take that into consideration!

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #3,486 of 9,173

You do realise modern compression algorithms are transparent right? The MP3 format wasn't the culprit in his negative impressions . It's ok that some won't like this headphone.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #3,487 of 9,173
You do realise modern compression algorithms are transparent right? The MP3 format wasn't the culprit in his negative impressions . It's ok that some won't like this headphone.

It doesn't matter to me if he likes the setup or not. I was simply making a suggestion to improve the data he gathering.

Lossless algorithms seem are wonderfully transparent to my ears. Lossy ones, including high bit rare ones, lose something. What I hear depends on the track. But I can always pick out the lossy track from the lossless.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #3,488 of 9,173
It doesn't matter to me if he likes the setup or not. I was simply making a suggestion to improve the data he gathering.

Lossless algorithms seem are wonderfully transparent to my ears. Lossy ones, including high bit rare ones, lose something. What I hear depends on the track. But I can always pick out the lossy track from the lossless.

No you can't. You just think you can.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #3,489 of 9,173
No you can't. You just think you can.

My track record in blind tests is over 90% after about 20 or so when picking compressed and uncompressed. Slightly changes in bit rate don't seem to make much difference. Likewise, I haven't found a noticeable difference in DSD over a 24-BIT FLAC.

Much like my friends, I encourage you to try different setups and file formats. If they all around the same to you, then get what does your needs for price and file size. There's nothing wrong with that. It's how I figured out that my current setup doesn't justify spending more money and taking up more space with DSD. I've acquired the same songs in both formats to compare. If I get a better setup I'll try again and collect more data.

It's a fun hobby. Nothing worth getting snippy about.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #3,490 of 9,173
I added a section about brain and physical burn in to my review. One thing I talk about in the review is the change my brain did when I reviewed the T10i IEM from RHA. It really is hard to just listen to a headphone like the Z7 when your used to headphones like the K712 or Beyerdynamic T1. The change is just to dramatic. But if you give your brain a chance to adjust you might find a different opinion of the Z7. Like wise this headphone does change subtly with use. I have a few go to songs I use to test specific things like bass and treble and the bass definitely lessens a bit and the treble gains more clarity, extension, and decay as well. If you really dislike the Z7 after a week of steady use the physical changes will likely not be enough to change your mind. But if your on the fence you might be pleasantly surprised.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #3,492 of 9,173
thats is a huge huge statement, i own the audeze lcd2rev2 and i think nothing can beat that can. 

I think it all boils down to sound preference.
Within Audeze's stable, I prefer the LCD-3 and X over the 2, but I don't like the XC.
Comparing the Z7 against the HD800 and LCD-X that I own, technically it can't beat the 2 powerhouse.
So if the Z7 will be the only headphone in the house or will be used for critical listening, my suggestion is better to look elsewhere.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #3,494 of 9,173
I added a section about brain and physical burn in to my review. One thing I talk about in the review is the change my brain did when I reviewed the T10i IEM from RHA. It really is hard to just listen to a headphone like the Z7 when your used to headphones like the K712 or Beyerdynamic T1. The change is just to dramatic. But if you give your brain a chance to adjust you might find a different opinion of the Z7. Like wise this headphone does change subtly with use. I have a few go to songs I use to test specific things like bass and treble and the bass definitely lessens a bit and the treble gains more clarity, extension, and decay as well. If you really dislike the Z7 after a week of steady use the physical changes will likely not be enough to change your mind. But if your on the fence you might be pleasantly surprised.

Great review man! Really enjoyed it. Hopefully I can get to them tomorrow for some more listening. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #3,495 of 9,173
during my 2nd hour long audition..
i did asked to go into a quiet AV room that the shop uses for trying out surround sound system,
nobody was using it and i gotten a good hour going thru my testsongs.
The noisy environment can spoil your audition.

My onthegohumblesetup is just a sansaclip/wav to fiio E18..to the z7...:p

I am trying to resolve/describe the sound of this can to myself :
It is as if my standard songs that i am famiiar with,
are being stretched out into a bigger deeper soundhall...
i missed a little fullness/engagement that i am familiar with..( =thinner?)
And i have to be patient to get used to the sound...
after half an hour, it was quite enjoyable.
If the full sony/fancy cable setup is brought to bear, 
i can only see it improving !!

Back at home, taking out all my other closed cans,
the d7k n dt150 ..even the pandora..is quite capable of bigdeep 3D soundscape,
albeit with diff flavors..(caveat ..on my home setup ),
that definitely took the pressure off my pocket.
buying me some time...till christmas, maybe LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back