Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 12, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #3,151 of 9,173
I'm curious how does the Z7 sound with male vocals such as in this song. The quality isn't as great as it should be as some of the clarity and emotion is missing, I have it on CD but I can't find anything better quality than this online. This song is spine-chilling and tear-inducing on the HD 600.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #3,153 of 9,173
  Good selections Bill. These two tracks do really show the relative strengths and weaknesses of the Z7. On the bass track the Z7 sounds like nothing else I own, and as you say, gives you a nice ear massage. With my CD3000's that I'm currently comparing them to there is very little of that sensation. On the vocal track it's just the opposite. I don't much care for the track, but on the Z7 all the nuance to the voice is lost whereas that is what the CD3000 excels at, giving you a bit of an ear massage of its own and making even this song that I wouldn't normally listen to enjoyable. I was able to listen to this at 320k on Spotify.

Ah, okay.

I was afraid that would be the case.

From description, it sounded to me like the Z7 wouldn't quite excel at midrange reproduction, even though initial impressions stated otherwise (forward midrange).

I think I can understand why this is the case. The drop in the midrange around 1-2KHz would suck away a bit of body in the mids, and also lack of upper midrange can cause a softer sound to come out. Vocals generally would shine better when there is an abundance of upper midrange, but not so much that it becomes borderline piercing. Tuning for this is an art in and of itself, and I think Sony of the past, when they introduced the CD3000 and R10, was able to achieve this.

Nowadays, it's mostly just Audio Technica who can do this right. And hence why I was an Audio Technica fan for so long.

But it's good to know the CD3000 can portray the song well. A friend of mine mentioned it at one point, and I almost purchased a pair, but then I steered to the Hifiman HE-560 instead. I have not regretted the choice at all, but I'd be interested in hearing the CD3000 one of these days when I get the chance.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #3,154 of 9,173
I'm curious how does the Z7 sound with male vocals such as in this song. The quality isn't as great as it should be as some of the clarity and emotion is missing, I have it on CD but I can't find anything better quality than this online. This song is spine-chilling and tear-inducing on the HD 600.
how does this version sound on your HD600? The Z7 sounds very clear but I am only getting some emotion with it being strongest near the end of the song. But I have other male vocal albums that have very strong emotional impact on the Z7.

I ask because I have had several songs I wanted give as examples that sound amazing from my source mp3 or flac files that simply sound like yuck from youtube making it very difficult to give easy test examples.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #3,155 of 9,173
how does this version sound on your HD600? The Z7 sounds very clear but I am only getting some emotion with it being strongest near the end of the song. But I have other male vocal albums that have very strong emotional impact on the Z7.

I ask because I have had several songs I wanted give as examples that sound amazing from my source mp3 or flac files that simply sound like yuck from youtube making it very difficult to give easy test examples.

It sounds pretty clear and has pretty good amount of emotion, but it doesn't give me goosebumps like the cd version can though. The depth, texture, emotion, and clarity isn't the same as it is on the CD though.

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #3,158 of 9,173
When I tried the Z7, I didn't have my LCD-3 with me. But I can say most honestly that there is no comparison.
open versus closed and 3 times the cost I kinda hope that would be the case. But for the Z7 price I really like the sound I get and I appreciate it's comfort and weight, I am pretty sure I couldn't wear the LCD3 for hours on end the way I have the Z7.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #3,159 of 9,173

Ah, okay.

I was afraid that would be the case.

From description, it sounded to me like the Z7 wouldn't quite excel at midrange reproduction, even though initial impressions stated otherwise (forward midrange).

I think I can understand why this is the case. The drop in the midrange around 1-2KHz would suck away a bit of body in the mids, and also lack of upper midrange can cause a softer sound to come out. Vocals generally would shine better when there is an abundance of upper midrange, but not so much that it becomes borderline piercing. Tuning for this is an art in and of itself, and I think Sony of the past, when they introduced the CD3000 and R10, was able to achieve this.

Nowadays, it's mostly just Audio Technica who can do this right. And hence why I was an Audio Technica fan for so long.

But it's good to know the CD3000 can portray the song well. A friend of mine mentioned it at one point, and I almost purchased a pair, but then I steered to the Hifiman HE-560 instead. I have not regretted the choice at all, but I'd be interested in hearing the CD3000 one of these days when I get the chance.

Yeah, the CD3000's have a deserved reputation in my mind because they do so much so right if flat and neutral with a great soundstage is what you want. They excel at fine detail. The Z7 is just the opposite. It likes to play loud but doesn't do detail.

I have never heard any Audio Technica cans. Do you have some that you could recommend? I have a co-worker looking for some closed cans right now and the AT's have come up as an option.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #3,160 of 9,173
I have an interest on the mdr-Z7. Could someone tell me how sound the second and third song in the next video (PJ Harvey at the Royal Albert Hall)?

http://www.pjharvey.net/

If you can make a comparison with other headphones (in the same price range) I would be very grateful. I'm searching for closed headphones.

Thanks...

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #3,161 of 9,173
I wish you guys could hear what I'm hearing, but YouTube is not doing something this high end justice, so much life is lost from CD to compression.
Most of you won't know what this is, but I've been listening to Jon English's musical 'Paris' with a massive grin the entire time.

Best I can find. How do you check the file quality?
https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/paris-original-london-cast/id714134978
Listen to Long Time Coming, I don't have iTunes installed, never will.
http://www.amazon.com/Paris-Story-Love-Austrailian-Cast/dp/B0000X2ELA

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3,162 of 9,173
It sounds pretty clear and has pretty good amount of emotion, but it doesn't give me goosebumps like the cd version can though. The depth, texture, emotion, and clarity isn't the same as it is on the CD though.
I think that is about how I am hearing the track from my Z7.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #3,163 of 9,173
  Yeah, the CD3000's have a deserved reputation in my mind because they do so much so right if flat and neutral with a great soundstage is what you want. They excel at fine detail. The Z7 is just the opposite. It likes to play loud but doesn't do detail.

I have never heard any Audio Technica cans. Do you have some that you could recommend? I have a co-worker looking for some closed cans right now and the AT's have come up as an option.

Well, the new ATH-W1000Z just came out, and it has been said to have a more neutral sound than the Z7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back