Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #2,026 of 9,173
geez man - you've got a pair on the way right? listen to them yourself and come to your own conclusion. who knows you might even like em. if you don't then sell em. it's just a hobby. try and enjoy it instead of whining about it.

Try to enjoy what? And please, I'm not a child so don't command me to do something. What I was conversating about is not irrational and I think I'm not the only one that has drawn the same conclusion. I'll totally agree that I've had to ramble more than I should have but that's not my fault. I was done and someone didn't agree with me and I had to stick up for myself and right now it feels like DEja vu

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2,027 of 9,173

Well, I'm starting to see some of the revealing natures of the Z7.  I hit a recording that's, well, crappy.  Eric Clapton's "The Hand Jive".  Now I will say I don't agree with the statement that these Sony cans need hi-res music.  But I will say a bad quality recording will sound, well, bad.  Maybe extra bad...

I put on some Black Eyed Peas to hear more thumpy bass, and I'm feeling some rumble.  But I'm starting to feel these, though with bass presence, are not going to be a top tier basshead phone...  But take that for what its worth, from a non-basshead.

But female vocals, oh the female vocals.  I listened to Esperanza Spalding & Algebra Blessett sing "Black Gold".  And these might replace my HD650s as my go to, for my lady crush music...

So many differing opinions.

What a love-hate relationship sony caused with this headphone.

I know that the build quality and aesthetics are...something most shouldn't hate though. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #2,029 of 9,173
So maybe I missed it, but are the pads detachable? Also, I know there are cable options, how does one go about getting one?

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,031 of 9,173
Just tried the Z7 today. Was a bit disappointed that it didn't sound more musical to MY EARS than Soundmagic HP150. The one thing that it did better was the bass. But I could fix the HP150 with bass boost. Hopefully the X2 will do better.

I am not a fan of these premature comments i have to admit :unamused:

No, I didn't say that. I'm saying FOR YOU that you would most likely prefer the Denons (or maybe TH600s, which are much the same thing as the D2000/5000) considering your taste in music.

This is quite a good description of them. So far, I'm finding the bass, mids and treble a bit like each were tuned separately by three different people, rather like a Mazda RX8 looks like three different people did the style for the front, sides and rear. Now my borrowed damping trick has fixed the mids I'm starting to like them quite a bit.

From my HiFi-M8 listening to Fleetwood Mac, and Paul Simon:

Hour #1 - I'm surprised at how light and cushy these things are.  I've been listening to the new Grado RS1e, and the Z7s are barely heavier.  Isolation is so far a B+ to A-, my kids are still able to irritate me with them on, but fairness dictates I listen to lower volumes then most.  This grade might go up.

The TH600 can only dream for presenting the mids the way the Z7s do.  If the Z7 is a "V" its a very shallow one.  The bass may be a touch bloomy so far, but I did just come from a Grado, and I am not a bass head.

My HD650s might be shaking in their boots, because I do hear some of that type of darkness.  That's surprising to me considering how closed the Z7 is.  I feel some space and separation, and this is also surprising.  I was expecting a more "intimate" experience out of the box....

Single ended power from the M8 is outstanding.  Its one of the few portables that don't need balanced cables to access all the power.  Balanced is only better control of impedance....

No, not at all, Balanced amps use phase cancelleation to reduce the amount of distortion, as each of the signals runs polar to it self on the Positive an negative signals. Thus when the orignal signal is split anything added by the amp is removed once the signals are combined again, hence is why it's a balanced signal. So balanced amps are usually cleaner sounding than SE, this is nof ofc a standard, as a poorly built balanced amp can still be noisy, but when done right a balanced rig should b and will be cleaner or have less overall distortion. The other thing to keep in mind is will you notice the differance? Some of the TOTL SE amps already have very low distortion an therefor running a fully balanced circuit may not yeild any real improvements

Still though, at the end of the day a balanced rig is going to be cleaner than a SE one, due to the nature of the design of balanced amps. :3 

But yea, once again we are hearing the mixed reviews for the MDR Z7, I want to hear one, and come Spring of next year when hopefully some one's got a balanced cable I might give it a listen.

Ideally, in about 5 months or so I'd like to sit down with the ATH W1000Z and MDR Z7 and see which I prefer SE out of [hopefully] a hm901 Line Out to my iBasso PB2 

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #2,033 of 9,173

Going to cancel the z7. I feel fooled for listening to Jude and I most definitely am looking for an audiophile can...

So you have or have not actually heard it, @DoctaCosmos?

Im down for calling Jude names. I feel like he tends to just give positive personal endorsements for everything and tends to give everything a positive spin. I would prefer more objective reviews with critical feedback and mentions of possible flaws.

It seems to be more advertising rather than honest feedback.

I like everything I hear? That would suggest that the headphones I discuss in the videos or forums represent every headphone I come across. More headphones and other audio gear come through here than I could ever cover in the videos or post about on the forums--far more. Different things motivate different people; but what motivates me to step in front of the camera (and/or to hammer out text) more than anything is sharing my feelings about (and experiences with) products I think sound good, products that excite me.

Like I've said before, at any given time--and even more so in the weeks before we update the gift guide--it looks like the 4th floor of Yodobashi Akiba blew up in here, and most of it is gear I'll probably never utter a word about.

Also, how is me liking something a "personal endorsement," assuming that you're suggesting it's something different than anyone else liking something? Am I special? Or are you saying that anyone posting any positive impression is also a "personal endorsement"? I've never--in 13 years on Head-Fi (or anywhere else, to anyone)--said that my opinion is worth more than anyone else's (except to me, of course). If you want to give my opinion heavy weighting, that's your call; but I fully accept I'm just one more data point to some, of absolutely no value to some, and somewhere in between for others.

I have never thought that if I like something that everyone else should, or vice-versa. You see, if, for example, @Currawong doesn't feel the same way about it, we don't assume the worst about each other's motives or opinions, and will still be buddies and hanging out next week in Tokyo--because we both understand that our opinion's are our own, and that we don't have to agree on everything (or anything for that matter) where sound is concerned to have mutual respect for one another's opinions.

Is my opinion on the MDR-Z7 a flyer? Out in left field? No, it really isn't. Just search. And if it was (which it isn't), I'm still not misleading you about how it sounds to me. Not everyone's going to agree, though, so deal with it.

So you're "down for calling [me] names," @money4me247? It's quite easy to do from the courageous cover of anonymity, but if it makes you feel better, go right ahead, man (up to a point, of course).

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2,034 of 9,173
@jude
"I feel fooled" is not in any way doing anything wrong. . It's not like I'm calling someone names. I didn't take it as him lying just that his impressions where witty being that the positive vocabulary he used was enticing to everyone while never mentioning anywhere the headphones lacked and stating they where possibly the best headphones Sony has ever made. The md-r10 is probably the most dreamt about headphone to us audiophiles so that statement was SUPER bold. Also, since day one on this website, I've always based my dream headphone off of his reviews (though I've found more sources) so when I finally came across what seemed to be Sony's gift from above for us audiophiles I purchased it only to hear from very well regarded people that it simply isn't what Jude Advertised it to be.

having a difference of opinion is one thing but you said it contended with the Th-900 which you have as your first headphone in the summit section of your winter buying guide. So while I have not heard it myself, the other impressions from other respected people made it seem like you were basically advertising it rather than opinionating.

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,035 of 9,173
@jude

having a difference of opinion is one thing but you said it contended with the Th-900 which you have as your first headphone in the summit section of your winter buying guide. So while I have not heard it myself, the other impressions from other respected people made it seem like you were basically advertising it rather than opinionating.

I can comfortably say that it is my opinion that the Sony MDR-Z7 is a peer of the Fostex TH900.

So have you heard it or not? I'm just trying to gauge the extent to which I've let you down.

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #2,036 of 9,173

So you have or have not actually heard it, @DoctaCosmos?

I like everything I hear? That would suggest that the headphones I discuss in the videos or forums represent every headphone I come across. More headphones and other audio gear come through here than I could ever cover in the videos or post about on the forums--far more. Different things motivate different people; but what motivates me to step in front of the camera (and/or to hammer out text) more than anything is sharing my feelings about (and experiences with) products I think sound good, products that excite me.

Like I've said before, at any given time--and even more so in the weeks before we update the gift guide--it looks like the 4th floor of Yodobashi Akiba blew up in here, and most of it is gear I'll probably never utter a word about.

Also, how is me liking something a "personal endorsement," assuming that you're suggesting it's something different than anyone else liking something? Am I special? Or are you saying that anyone posting any positive impression is also a "personal endorsement"? I've never--in 13 years on Head-Fi (or anywhere else, to anyone)--said that my opinion is worth more any anyone else's (except to me, of course). If you want to give my opinion heavy weighting, that's your call; but I fully accept I'm just one more data point to some, of absolutely no value to some, and somewhere in between for others.

I have never thought that if I like something that everyone else should, or vice-versa. You see, if, for example, @Currawong doesn't feel the same way about it, we don't assume the worst about each other's motives or opinions, and will still be buddies and hanging out next week in Tokyo--because we both understand that our opinion's are our own, and that we don't have to agree on everything (or anything for that matter) where sound is concerned to have mutual respect for one another's opinions.

Is my opinion on the MDR-Z7 a flyer? Out in left field? No, it really isn't. Just search. And if it was (which it isn't), I'm still not misleading you about how it sounds to me. Not everyone's going to agree, though, so deal with it.

So you're "down for calling [me] names," @money4me247? It's quite easy to do from the courageous cover of anonymity, but if it makes you feel better, go right ahead, man (up to a point, of course).

Good job guys, you've once again rehashed this terrible idea that Jude is some shameless peddler *slow clap* 

Well it's nice of him to once again re hash his motives for recommending anything. 

Anyways more on topic ish, I'm hoping we can get a tour of these soon so we can get them into the hands of more people and more rigs so we can get more impressions. So I'm still on the "need to hear it for mine self" list... heck to that extent I'm forgoing a trip to a meet so I can get an hm901 and hopefully beef up my rig  so I can have the best impression of the MDR Z7 when I get it in the future at some point 

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,037 of 9,173
Money's "calling Jude names" comment wasn't necessarily mean to provoke a primal instinct of arguing but rather simply profiling you as somewhat of an advertiser.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #2,038 of 9,173
Try to enjoy what? And please, I'm not a child so don't command me to do something. What I was conversating about is not irrational and I think I'm not the only one that has drawn the same conclusion. I'll totally agree that I've had to ramble more than I should have but that's not my fault. I was done and someone didn't agree with me and I had to stick up for myself and right now it feels like DEja vu

enjoy the hobby. you could start by looking forward to receiving your new cans instead of derailing this thread with your hand wringing. look forward to reading your impressions.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #2,039 of 9,173
Money's "calling Jude names" comment wasn't necessarily mean to provoke a primal instinct of arguing but rather simply profiling you as somewhat of an advertiser.

I think I interpreted his comment rather accurately as what it was--a dick comment.

So, again, have you or have you not heard the Sony MDR-Z7?

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,040 of 9,173
Funny thing Jude is I feel like you're talking to me when I'm watching your videos and I feel like I've known you forever lol. $600 is a lot of money for me and I had a gut instinct to listen to you and haven't cancelled my order because of that. I am totally about sitting down and listening to the headphone and letting it do it's magic.
I'm sorry that I have made you defend yourself. Initially was a quick though to ruse you into debating the technicalities of the headphone with nomax. As you stated you are a busy person but I had to make an attempt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back