Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jan 8, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #5,731 of 5,804
Hey guys,

So just got the Z5 (again). 4th set I've owned. I know.

Anyway, they stand up pretty well against ej07m and Xenns Up. Wider stage, a bit more bass, recessed treble. Ironically, kinda remind me of Variations, which I just sold, though I think Variations have more sub bass and less mid bass. The differences between the above aren't huge. Sure they are different, but I would say they are more similar than not.

Anyway, any decent recs for an mmcx cable? Anyone used the og hooks and had a cable custom made uisng it? That would be my preference I think. Would love a 4.4 that fit these well. Let me know!
Mine landed in Hambueg at my friends home. Next time i fo ro him pick mu z5 up

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #5,732 of 5,804
Mine landed in Hambueg at my friends home. Next time i fo ro him pick mu z5 up
I remember when you sold your pair and got the z1r. Z1r is still superior for sure, but for a third of the cost, Z5 is still prety damn good, especially compared to other $300 to $500 pairs. Ej07 and Xenns Up edge it out, but those are $700 to $800 new.

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #5,733 of 5,804
I remember when you sold your pair and got the z1r. Z1r is still superior for sure, but for a third of the cost, Z5 is still prety damn good, especially compared to other $300 to $500 pairs. Ej07 and Xenns Up edge it out, but those are $700 to $800 new.
I got rhem to give them a second chance uaing proper tips and a powerful source (together with the kimber cable) and to have another sony dlassic IEM on my collection

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #5,734 of 5,804
Listening to the Sony Z5 again makes me feel like an idiot. I have been through so many pairs of headphones. Right now, I also have the Xenns Up and the EJ07M kinda lava with the OG ej07 on the way. Among the 3, I prefer the z5. It's certainly the most musical and scales really well from Hiby R6 to SMSL DO200/HO200. I remember comparing these to the z1r about a year ago, and liking the z1r considerably more... but I flipping sold the Z1R because I'm an idiot. The above are still certainly good, but I guess I'm a Sony fanboy through and through. I love that impactful bass! And unlike the Empire Ears, you get the bass without sacrificing resolution. Why anyone thinks Empire Ears headphones are good is beyond me. The fact that these are nearly 10 years old is amazing considering how much tech has "advanced." The only thing that bothers me is the shape and fit, so wondering about getting them re-shelled. Anyone done anything like that? Any reshelling resources? Is there wide stage and big bass dependent on the weird shape?

Thanks, all!

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #5,735 of 5,804
Do these work well with the new Fiio LC-RE/RD cables with the angled connector? Do these mimic the stock one, or are they better with a straight connector to guide up and over the ear?
These represented a great era of musical enjoyment for me, but a poor fit with the flimsy Sony non-Kimber upgrade cable had me abandon them as I couldn't achieve a solid fit and constantly had to readjust. I briefly tried them again with an M9 cable which was much better but I had my sights on the Z1R so sold them again. I've got my eye on a secondhand pair with the hope of making them work again, giving my Z1R a break, and reliving that glorious old Sony XBA generation sound. The secondhand pair look as though they've been around the block a few times so I'm not holding my breath.
Regarding MMCX issues: my 1st secondhand pair would cut out intermittently and I was able to rectify this by using the tweezer method, how often are the MMCX issues able to be fixed and how often are they irreparable?

4960516.jpg

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #5,736 of 5,804
Pretty sure I tried that cable and it didn't work.

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #5,737 of 5,804
Do these work well with the new Fiio LC-RE/RD cables with the angled connector? Do these mimic the stock one, or are they better with a straight connector to guide up and over the ear?
These represented a great era of musical enjoyment for me, but a poor fit with the flimsy Sony non-Kimber upgrade cable had me abandon them as I couldn't achieve a solid fit and constantly had to readjust. I briefly tried them again with an M9 cable which was much better but I had my sights on the Z1R so sold them again. I've got my eye on a secondhand pair with the hope of making them work again, giving my Z1R a break, and reliving that glorious old Sony XBA generation sound. The secondhand pair look as though they've been around the block a few times so I'm not holding my breath.
Regarding MMCX issues: my 1st secondhand pair would cut out intermittently and I was able to rectify this by using the tweezer method, how often are the MMCX issues able to be fixed and how often are they irreparable?

4960516.jpg
I boight mine new from amazon USA lik 480€ and they are now at my friends home waiting to be picked up

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #5,738 of 5,804
i got Z6 to gove Z1R a rest, not that i am bored of Z1R bit more to have an old school XBA IEM sound again.

And i sold my Z5 that i purchased back in 2016 not to fund Z1R and not becUse they werefaulty (infact they were working fine w no cut offs) bur becauae they were scratched

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #5,739 of 5,804
i got Z6 to gove Z1R a rest, not that i am bored of Z1R bit more to have an old school XBA IEM sound again.

And i sold my Z5 that i purchased back in 2016 not to fund Z1R and not becUse they werefaulty (infact they were working fine w no cut offs) bur becauae they were scratched
I like them a lot. Fit is my only issue. I'm looking into a reseller option for a more traditional iem fit.

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #5,740 of 5,804
Pretty sure I tried that cable and it didn't work.
Looking at the connectors they look a bit short, bummer, I had seen a good-priced secondhand one.

I like them a lot. Fit is my only issue. I'm looking into a reseller option for a more traditional iem fit.
I understand about the fit. I would be a bit concerned about meddling with some of the components that may have a negative impact on that Z5 sound. I'm wondering if the magnesium housing and shape are key factors in the special sauce.

Jan 18, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #5,741 of 5,804
Looking at the connectors they look a bit short, bummer, I had seen a good-priced secondhand one.

I understand about the fit. I would be a bit concerned about meddling with some of the components that may have a negative impact on that Z5 sound. I'm wondering if the magnesium housing and shape are key factors in the special sauce.
Yeah, I also wonder that. No idea.

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #5,743 of 5,804
Fot vetter fit i would trz other tips like azla zelastwc or crystal etx or xuatom tips like iwill do to better secure the Z5 fitting

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #5,744 of 5,804
I also disliked the fit at first but that was because I thought I have to get a deep fit and never got it right. Once I realised it is designed for a shallow fit I really got to like it and now it makes sense the way it is designed.
Maybe it helps you to only put them in lightly with larger tips? I use the large Sony tips for example

Jan 24, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #5,745 of 5,804
Yeah, keep it shallow and it's actually one of the most comfortable IEM for me, it's basically weightless as all of its weight are on the ear guide.
I still prefer my old XBA over the IE300, those Senny sound just too narrow, less body and weight on its bass, but on the other hand it gives similar vibe of sound in much smaller body.
Wonder how ie200 fare it seems to be getting good feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back