Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Mar 10, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #5,761 of 5,804
Seems fbF rhe initiL dark sugnature is cleared after 48 h continuos burn in with music shuffled. The boominess is gone and sound more leaner. Bass is still there.

I dont want to comment any further until i get to my DMP-Z1 but it shares traits of IER-Z1R only the treble is recessed giving them a warm sound

Mar 10, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #5,764 of 5,804
Seems fbF rhe initiL dark sugnature is cleared after 48 h continuos burn in with music shuffled. The boominess is gone and sound more leaner. Bass is still there.

I dont want to comment any further until i get to my DMP-Z1 but it shares traits of IER-Z1R only the treble is recessed giving them a warm sound
You prefer them to z1r? 😁

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #5,767 of 5,804
As though and expected the DMP-Z1 giv e the XBA-Z5 that mucg needed boosy in the trebke and mids. They suddenlu sound like another iem wow. Bass is tighter and controlled, no more so woolli

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #5,768 of 5,804
@Hinomotocho i woukd place XBA-Z5 in the middle of IER-M7 and IER-Z1R. The bass of Z5 like @dynamic Ears saud is made by the full range BA and gets a helping hand from the DD to help it rumble and reach subbass. While good in quality and quantiry it lacks the texture and resolution of Z1R bass, Has more rumble than M7 BA bass for sure, but at times deels like BA bass .

On mids the Z5 has good mids nut again these ate womehow better on M7 and not to say Z1R i am rhinking that the full version ange BA does it all.
Highs of Z5 ate laidback mellow, again i think full range BA does the highs and gets a help from the gweeter to maake the crisp extra details, M7 treble is wligthly better but not nu mich, on the other Z1R has the best treble extension and better resolution but at times gets hot, Z5 will never be in this hor area rhats good for treble asensitive people.
Imaging and separation/layering is pretty good almost like that on Z1R

The stage while better than M7 ir lacks the 3D and surround sound holography of Z1R stage, on Z5 is more wide than depth aand taller goving an stereo system idening eddwct

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #5,769 of 5,804
Ror those thinking of a reshell, that will only change the sound as it is no longer the same shape. Obstead tou can think of cuatom tips like ADV or the custom Art
image.jpg

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #5,770 of 5,804
Ro my surprise they shate a lot in common in SQ to IER-Z1R minus that magic i cant rxplain from z1r but syill great for a classic XBA

My new set has a serial about 37000s there is a slight improvement to soundstage with my cuatom tips,

Mar 22, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #5,771 of 5,804
with these Custom Art tips the fit is very stable. But i get terrible aching upon removing them, i eont know what im doing wring

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #5,772 of 5,804
I just purchased a secondhand Z5, I should have them in a couple of weeks. I actually didn't intend to purchase yet but was looking at the final payment pricing and went a step too far and ended up committing to the purchase. I now find myself having to rush to find a cable, can anyone please put forward some suggestions? I will opt for copper, L-shaped is preferred but not essential, and one that will offer a stable fit as I had issues when I've owned them in the past. Budget-wise, I'd prefer to keep under $150.

BTW I just found out what MMCX stands for: MMCX (Micro Miniature Coaxial)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #5,773 of 5,804
I just purchased a secondhand Z5, I should have them in a couple of weeks. I actually didn't intend to purchase yet but was looking at the final payment pricing and went a step too far and ended up committing to the purchase. I now find myself having to rush to find a cable, can anyone please put forward some suggestions? I will opt for copper, L-shaped is preferred but not essential, and one that will offer a stable fit as I had issues when I've owned them in the past. Budget-wise, I'd prefer to keep under $150.

BTW I just found out what MMCX stands for: MMCX (Micro Miniature Coaxial)
I am using a sony Kimber upgrade cable terminated on L 4.4mm it was the only cable lying arround that i had...

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #5,774 of 5,804
I am using a sony Kimber upgrade cable terminated on L 4.4mm it was the only cable lying arround that i had...
I'd love to have the Kimber to complete the former Sony flagship bundle, but they are quite expensive, there are fakes around, and I know the splitter weight and size will probably cause me issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back