Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Mar 29, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #5,776 of 5,804
Did Sony use the same MMCX connectors on the Z1R? My Z5 are due to arrive in the next couple of days, but the adapters I ordered to use with my 2-pin Fiio LC-RE are possibly 1-2 weeks away. Instead of that funky stock cable I thought I could use the 3.5mm Z1R cable until they arrive.

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #5,777 of 5,804
Did Sony use the same MMCX connectors on the Z1R? My Z5 are due to arrive in the next couple of days, but the adapters I ordered to use with my 2-pin Fiio LC-RE are possibly 1-2 weeks away. Instead of that funky stock cable I thought I could use the 3.5mm Z1R cable until they arrive.
I dont kmow if they changed to the better MMCX on late reviaioba of the Z5 if you mean the more durable connector from Z1R othewiae mmxs is mmcx ans no cuatomized by anyone

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #5,778 of 5,804
I dont kmow if they changed to the better MMCX on late reviaioba of the Z5 if you mean the more durable connector from Z1R othewiae mmxs is mmcx ans no cuatomized by anyone
From people's experimenting with different brand cables on the Z1R thread there seem to be a few slight variations of MMCX, some being slightly longer and tighter fitting than the stock ones, which I think is where the damage has occurred for a couple of people. I've heard people say the Fiio cables are quite difficult to remove and had experienced that when I paired one with my XBA-N3 a few years ago. If the Z1R 3.5mm cable is a 100% compatible fit I can use it for the 1-2 weeks until my adapters arrive (which I don't intend to remove once fitted), otherwise I will just wait.

Mar 30, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #5,779 of 5,804
From people's experimenting with different brand cables on the Z1R thread there seem to be a few slight variations of MMCX, some being slightly longer and tighter fitting than the stock ones, which I think is where the damage has occurred for a couple of people. I've heard people say the Fiio cables are quite difficult to remove and had experienced that when I paired one with my XBA-N3 a few years ago. If the Z1R 3.5mm cable is a 100% compatible fit I can use it for the 1-2 weeks until my adapters arrive (which I don't intend to remove once fitted), otherwise I will just wait.
Both Z1R amd Z5 use a tevessed socket

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #5,780 of 5,804
My Z5 arrived yesterday. I purchased from a highly-rated eBay Japanese seller who provided free express shipping via DHL, including a hand written letter and an origami crane - nice touch. Until my Willow Audio adapters arrive I am using the 'unused' 3.5mm cable that came with my Z1R, which fits like a glove. Maybe it's to do with them having a 16mm driver, but having owned these before, they were always a great example of what a higher-powered output could achieve, even for iems. Like my first experience demoing at e earphone, I tried with my phone and they sounded mid-bassy and muddy, even my WM1Z's 3.5mm doesn't cut it, I can't wait to go balanced.

20230401_072325.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #5,781 of 5,804
My Z5 arrived yesterday. I purchased from a highly-rated eBay Japanese seller who provided free express shipping via DHL, including a hand written letter and an origami crane - nice touch. Until my Willow Audio adapters arrive I am using the 'unused' 3.5mm cable that came with my Z1R, which fits like a glove. Maybe it's to do with them having a 16mm driver, but having owned these before, they were always a great example of what a higher-powered output could achieve, even for iems. Like my first experience demoing at e earphone, I tried with my phone and they sounded mid-bassy and muddy, even my WM1Z's 3.5mm doesn't cut it, I can't wait to go balanced.

20230401_072325.jpg
Which serial number have yours?

Apr 1, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #5,782 of 5,804
Which serial number have yours?
Mine didn't come with the box, only the case so I can't tell. They are in better condition than the pair I had bought secondhand 5 years ago.

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #5,783 of 5,804
@Hinomotocho I see you use the z5 with small, narrow tips and guess you get a deeper fit that way. It made the z5 too bassy for me.... I would suggest trying the largest Sony tips which provide a shallow fit, as they don't fit inside the ear canal, only close it, which works best for me - I get better soundstage and less bass that way. I also got used to the warmer presentation after some time and really prefer it to others. Just give it some time without A/B-ing it against brighter iems and maybe you will also find it as natural as I do. Enjoy & let us know what you think of this forgotten jem :wink:

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #5,784 of 5,804
@Hinomotocho I see you use the z5 with small, narrow tips and guess you get a deeper fit that way. It made the z5 too bassy for me.... I would suggest trying the largest Sony tips which provide a shallow fit, as they don't fit inside the ear canal, only close it, which works best for me - I get better soundstage and less bass that way. I also got used to the warmer presentation after some time and really prefer it to others. Just give it some time without A/B-ing it against brighter iems and maybe you will also find it as natural as I do. Enjoy & let us know what you think of this forgotten jem :wink:
Thanks for the tip, I'll have a play around. I think I probably need to ram them deep to secure a fit, but I'll try later.
Ironically the Z1R insert and sit very well in my ears, whereas the Z5 seems to have a thicker and longer nozzle. Once I get my angled Willow Audio connectors for my Fiio cable, I'll see how well the angle and cable design secure them so a shallower fit may for with larger tips. So far the sound is as I remembered them, I have recently acquired a range of tips to experiment with for fit and sound.

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #5,785 of 5,804
I want to get another case. Something like the IER-Z1R box or the fiio HB5 carey case but this is hard to find

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #5,787 of 5,804
@Hinomotocho did tou got the adapter?
Yes, finally arrived today! My last 2 AliExpress orders arrived in about a week but these adapters from Singapore took almost 3 weeks. The angle and it's extension make for a good fit and I'm happy I get to use my favourite cable: the older Fiio LC-RE, it handles well and I like the L shaped changeable adapters, not that I need anything other than 4.4mm.
It's been frustrating having to use the 3.5mm outputs as I usually find the 4.4mm to be better for all my devices.
Thanks to @shampoosuicide for adapter info

20230417_222714.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #5,788 of 5,804
Yes, finally arrived today! My last 2 AliExpress orders arrived in about a week but these adapters from Singapore took almost 3 weeks. The angle and it's extension make for a good fit and I'm happy I get to use my favourite cable: the older Fiio LC-RE, it handles well and I like the L shaped changeable adapters, not that I need anything other than 4.4mm.
It's been frustrating having to use the 3.5mm outputs as I usually find the 4.4mm to be better for all my devices.
Thanks to @shampoosuicide for adapter info

20230417_222714.jpg
Cool, how do the Z5 sound now?

Apr 18, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #5,790 of 5,804
Cool, how do the Z5 sound now?
I haven't had much time to listen yet, but I always feel the 3.5mm output of the Walkmans lack when driving something like the Z5, also I have probably less than 100 hours burn-in. It was about 5 years ago that I was happily using the Z5, but after owning the Z1R for a couple of years now my ears have been spoilt so it's going to take some time to readjust to the warmer signature, with what seems to be more mid-bass emphasis. When I have time I'll experiment with tips. I'm happy for now to have achieved a really solid, comfortable fit, and to have an old classic to use to help extend the life of my Z1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back