Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Apr 29, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #5,237 of 5,804
Agreed @Redcarmoose the Z5 is so unique. I don’t think I could ever get rid of them. How much do they go for these days? Can they be bought brand new from any retailers still? Looks like their price has inflated on Amazon

In the US, they are $399 new as of a few hours ago.

Apr 30, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #5,238 of 5,804
Had these for a month now but still struggling with fit. Are there any suggestions to getting a deeper fit? I feel like the Z5 is made to sit fairly shallow in the ear canal compared to something like my Shure SE846. In reality I could use any of the supplied tips. The larger tips feel more secure in the ear but smallest tips provide deeper insertion but sit the most loose and provide possibly best sound quality but also least amount of isolation? From the IEMs I've tried usually deeper fit provides best isolation but not so with Z5. What are peoples thoughts?

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #5,239 of 5,804
Had these for a month now but still struggling with fit. Are there any suggestions to getting a deeper fit? I feel like the Z5 is made to sit fairly shallow in the ear canal compared to something like my Shure SE846. In reality I could use any of the supplied tips. The larger tips feel more secure in the ear but smallest tips provide deeper insertion but sit the most loose and provide possibly best sound quality but also least amount of isolation? From the IEMs I've tried usually deeper fit provides best isolation but not so with Z5. What are peoples thoughts?

Typically the included cable makes fit difficult, have you switched cables? Also I used to use Sony Triple Comfort tips, though I don’t now. But at times firmer tips can keep the IEMs in place by having your ear canal help keep them from moving.

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #5,240 of 5,804
Typically the included cable makes fit difficult, have you switched cables? Also I used to use Sony Triple Comfort tips, though I don’t now. But at times firmer tips can keep the IEMs in place by having your ear canal help keep them from moving.
Are the Sony Triple Comfort different from the ones supplied with the Z5? Are they just the ones with silicon on the outside and foam on the inside?

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #5,241 of 5,804
Thanks, man. I had the 800's. Really prefer the z5. They just had a bit more ... idk. 800 were dry, so maybe z5 is... wet? Still nothing compares to the Z5 for me. I'm sure the Z1R would work, but I can't (and won't) spend that much. I tried the final E5000. Didn't do it for me. I like big bass and big stage. z5 was what I fell in love with. I have a commission coming up that I think will go toward Z5 and M11 repurchase. If anyone is parting with their Z5, hit me up.
I love the z5 just as much as you do. It’s nothing likes it’s bass and soundstage out of the wm1a. I was considering buying a second pair just for future proof but decided to just do a all out upgrade to z1r but my Z5’s aren't going anywhere. I did try m7 & M9’s and absolutely hated them simply because of the Suction effect in my ears.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #5,242 of 5,804
Are the Sony Triple Comfort different from the ones supplied with the Z5? Are they just the ones with silicon on the outside and foam on the inside?

No the Triple Comfort are supplied with the XBA-N3 and IER-Z1R. What you get with the XBA-Z5 are called “Hybrid” as they are made supposedly with two hardnesses of material. But even then they are going to be super soft in comparison to the Triple Comforts. Though take note the Hybrids last longer as the Triple Comforts can get wet and hold moisture and start to smell. The Triple Comfort Tips are really very close in material to foam IEM tips.

The Triple Comfort Tips that come with the IER-Z1R are light grey and the other tips that come with the IER are clear silicone.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #5,243 of 5,804
C62C583C-5707-4FCD-A0C8-AF389D7F50B3.jpeg
608388AD-09D5-49FC-A474-914EF9B69185.jpeg
90B926C5-4CDD-49C1-A6FA-E164E0F32715.jpeg
D380C3EC-1FA2-4AA5-A8E8-189540528CF6.png

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/audio-video-accessories-portable-audio-accessories/ep-ex10a

The Hybrids are very thin walled and silicone, where the Triples have thick foam walls and actually made of foam as shown in the photos.

I’m not substantiating the model numbers here as being the product but just showing the look. The XBA-100 IEM also comes with Sony Hybrid tips like the XBA-Z5.

FF7F3D4A-AF43-4760-8843-2BC41CF4B8C7.jpeg

Here is a photo I took of the XBA-100 accessories and you can see the Hybrid tips included.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #5,245 of 5,804
On the topic of tips, have you guys ever seen these ones before?
A6CADA4D-D364-4B2D-91E6-E8496B3DD02F.jpeg

These came with the XB90EX from Japan. Different foam to any other Sony foam tips I’ve seen before. Does anyone know if these can be bought anywhere?

I’ve seen those only in pictures.

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #5,246 of 5,804
May 1, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #5,247 of 5,804
Hi everyone, I have a set of Z5 that I'm willing to let go. I've been going back and forth about selling them but there seems to be some interest here. I would say they are a 7/10 physically (there are a few areas of wear from use) but they function perfectly with no issues. I have the box and all accessories. PM me if interested. Thanks.

EDIT - Sold to JoshG1217.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #5,248 of 5,804
On the topic of tips, have you guys ever seen these ones before?
A6CADA4D-D364-4B2D-91E6-E8496B3DD02F.jpeg

These came with the XB90EX from Japan. Different foam to any other Sony foam tips I’ve seen before. Does anyone know if these can be bought anywhere?
These are the Hybrid tips that came with my Z5. They came with a set of normal silicone and a set of these as pictured. My Z5 were imported from Japan last month. The Hybrid tips sit firmer in the ear and provide ever so slightly better isolation although with much swapping from one to the other I really can't tell theres much difference in sound quality.

Still can't figure out if the Z5 warrants a shallow or a deep fit. Deep fit smaller tips feels very loose with better sound quality, shallow fit larger tips feels much more secure but doesn't sound as good. I think I need to try foam as theres something about the silicone that makes the treble a bit peaky for me when listening to hard and fast genres of electronic music such as drum and bass. I get a similar effect with my Shure 846 when using Spinfits... but worried the foam might mess with the bass/lower midrange. Are Comply T200 or T500 the right ones for the Z5? Does the wax guard affect the treble? Wouldn't mind a smoother treble response.

Does anyone EQ the Z5 and if so what sort of EQ do they implement? I find the Mids slightly recessed in relation to the treble and bass and the lower midrange a bit overpowering but this not be confused with bleeding into because when theres no bass for example its very clear. Unfortunately the Sony NW-ZX507 is not a great match, something about the lower midrange and it lacking resolve.

May 1, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #5,249 of 5,804
These are the Hybrid tips that came with my Z5. They came with a set of normal silicone and a set of these as pictured. My Z5 were imported from Japan last month. The Hybrid tips sit firmer in the ear and provide ever so slightly better isolation although with much swapping from one to the other I really can't tell theres much difference in sound quality.

Still can't figure out if the Z5 warrants a shallow or a deep fit. Deep fit smaller tips feels very loose with better sound quality, shallow fit larger tips feels much more secure but doesn't sound as good. I think I need to try foam as theres something about the silicone that makes the treble a bit peaky for me when listening to hard and fast genres of electronic music such as drum and bass. I get a similar effect with my Shure 846 when using Spinfits... but worried the foam might mess with the bass/lower midrange. Are Comply T200 or T500 the right ones for the Z5? Does the wax guard affect the treble? Wouldn't mind a smoother treble response.

Does anyone EQ the Z5 and if so what sort of EQ do they implement? I find the Mids slightly recessed in relation to the treble and bass and the lower midrange a bit overpowering but this not be confused with bleeding into because when theres no bass for example its very clear. Unfortunately the Sony NW-ZX507 is not a great match, something about the lower midrange and it lacking resolve.

Interesting... Maybe they're exclusive to Japan? The ones I got with my Z5 are just the standard foam filled ones.

I use the standard silicone tips in L size . Have tried spinfit, spiral dots, comply foams and the foam stock tips but they all either didn't fit properly or didn't sound right.

Yeah agree that the ZX507 isn't the best pairing. PHA-2A is my favourite. I prefer it even over the DMP-Z1! It's got a brighter signature which works really well for the Z5 and also the N3.

May 1, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #5,250 of 5,804
I was PM'ing with a member about the Z5 vs EX800ST and thought the conversation might also be helpful to others:

While I respect the EX800ST, the Z5 crushes it in every respect other than perhaps comfort (the 800 stays in my ears better). The 800 gives you a hint of the separation, soundstaging, and bass of the Z5, but the Z5 is miles ahead in those areas.

As for sub bass, I have heard nothing else like the Z5; it is akin to having a subwoofer in your head - it has that same "air shaking" feeling a quality sub provides.

The mids are dry on the 800, whereas the Z5 has particularly resonant, velvety mids - which I love. Z5 mids are also especially transparent, which helps you to listen deeply into the music.

The only catch is that there is some thickening of the midbass, so I eq it down a bit around 100-200 hz.

Also note that the Z5 responds well to jvc sprialdot tips - they open up the soundstaging even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back