Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jan 17, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #4,366 of 5,804
It's cool opening this thread. I've had the Z5 since late 2014, and they still get plenty of listening time. I get that tastes vary, but I was surprised these didn't gain more acceptance. They have been terrific for me for the 3+ years I've had them.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #4,367 of 5,804
It's cool opening this thread. I've had the Z5 since late 2014, and they still get plenty of listening time. I get that tastes vary, but I was surprised these didn't gain more acceptance. They have been terrific for me for the 3+ years I've had them.
Most of them might be shying away from the design. I for one was not interested until I tried it personally which eventually led me buying these phones.

They are fantastic for the sound they offer. Very relaxing and tuned to be worn for hours.

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #4,369 of 5,804
Anyone who upgraded from the A3 still keep them and enjoy listening to them, or is there no going back?
I tried a secondhand Z5 with the MUC-M12NB1 out of my new ZX300 (only a few hours burn-in), at times A/Bing with my XBA-A3 and I didn't feel with every song that it was a worth the extra $$ (secondhand).
I know my ears are used to the brighter sound of the A3, and I am a fan of the typical Sony hearty low end sound, so I could probably get used to the Z5, but I felt that low end was at times a bit overwhelming for certain types of music and the A3 appeared to be better.
I've read every post on this thread 2x and know that technically the Z5 is better and I could go ahead and get them, get used to them and one day listen to the old A3 and think gee those are a bit bright and not as 3D, but I also see alot of people selling their Z5 so I was just wanting honest opinions of A3 owners or upgraders please.

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #4,370 of 5,804
I liked the sound of my XBA-A3 which had a sound signature like the Z5, IMHO Z5 improvement is not as Huge (kind like some say WM1A vs WM1Z) but i preferred Z5 due to being metal constructed.

The Z5 are less sparkly as the XBA-A3 hence the "loss of details" bu i fell they are less fatiguing to listen to compared to the A3. Bass is more impactful on the Z5 yes, but in balance it gest tamed, yeah soundstage wise i think the Z5 has a slightly more wider soundstage, improves with balanced... never tried A3 in a balance setting so i can't comment on their soundstage improvements.

But mids they seem to be pretty the same

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #4,371 of 5,804
Thank you gerelmx1986 - I always appreciate your input.

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #4,372 of 5,804
I'm looking for an amp/dac to combo with my Z5 (desktop use).
I read all posts and many people recommend Sony Walkman but I don't need DAP since I Windows to play my audio collection.
I'm thinking of PHA3 because of balanced connectivity.
Any recommendations please?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #4,373 of 5,804
Anyone who upgraded from the A3 still keep them and enjoy listening to them, or is there no going back?
I tried a secondhand Z5 with the MUC-M12NB1 out of my new ZX300 (only a few hours burn-in), at times A/Bing with my XBA-A3 and I didn't feel with every song that it was a worth the extra $$ (secondhand).
I know my ears are used to the brighter sound of the A3, and I am a fan of the typical Sony hearty low end sound, so I could probably get used to the Z5, but I felt that low end was at times a bit overwhelming for certain types of music and the A3 appeared to be better.
I've read every post on this thread 2x and know that technically the Z5 is better and I could go ahead and get them, get used to them and one day listen to the old A3 and think gee those are a bit bright and not as 3D, but I also see alot of people selling their Z5 so I was just wanting honest opinions of A3 owners or upgraders please.

The A3 has a 4K spike that is makes it more sparkly but can cause ear fatigue on long sessions. The Z5 does not have that problem. It also sound a bit warmer on vocals.Bass is not necessary more powerful but does go lower. I'm using the MUC-M12SB1 with my Z5 while using the MUC-M20BL1 converted with a Pentaconn 4.4mm jack with the A3.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #4,374 of 5,804
I'm looking for an amp/dac to combo with my Z5 (desktop use).
I read all posts and many people recommend Sony Walkman but I don't need DAP since I Windows to play my audio collection.
I'm thinking of PHA3 because of balanced connectivity.
Any recommendations please?

If you ever think you might want to go portable. The ZX300 along with the MUC-M20BL1 would probably be a better choice as the ZX300 will act as a DAC/AMP while connected to a PC. If not, then the PHA-2A will probably still be a better choice as it use the new 4.4mm balance output as going balance with the stock 2.5mm balance cable won't give you much improvement. From my limited use of the PHA-3, I felt it colors the sound a bit more than the PHA-2A and the ZX300.

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #4,375 of 5,804
If you ever think you might want to go portable. The ZX300 along with the MUC-M20BL1 would probably be a better choice as the ZX300 will act as a DAC/AMP while connected to a PC. If not, then the PHA-2A will probably still be a better choice as it use the new 4.4mm balance output as going balance with the stock 2.5mm balance cable won't give you much improvement. From my limited use of the PHA-3, I felt it colors the sound a bit more than the PHA-2A and the ZX300.

Thank you Wiz33 for your input.
I think I will go with PHA-2A , since I don't need the DAP, unless I find same price deal for the ZX300.

Jan 21, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #4,376 of 5,804
When I get tired of listening to my er4sr, it's always good to know there's the z5 to serve me for relaxing listening session.

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #4,377 of 5,804
I liked the sound of my XBA-A3 which had a sound signature like the Z5, IMHO Z5 improvement is not as Huge (kind like some say WM1A vs WM1Z) but i preferred Z5 due to being metal constructed.

The Z5 are less sparkly as the XBA-A3 hence the "loss of details" bu i fell they are less fatiguing to listen to compared to the A3. Bass is more impactful on the Z5 yes, but in balance it gest tamed, yeah soundstage wise i think the Z5 has a slightly more wider soundstage, improves with balanced... never tried A3 in a balance setting so i can't comment on their soundstage improvements.

But mids they seem to be pretty the same
I suscribe all your words. I had A3 in the past and I loved them until I get the Z5. I sold the A3 and I bought another pair of Z5 (2 pair of them). I love the sound of Z5, not as bright as A3 and well controlled in every frecency. I use them sometimes in a WM1A with e the balanced KK cord. I also have Z1R only because it’s more comfortable for me for the hours I hear music during work.

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #4,378 of 5,804
I suscribe all your words. I had A3 in the past and I loved them until I get the Z5. I sold the A3 and I bought another pair of Z5 (2 pair of them). I love the sound of Z5, not as bright as A3 and well controlled in every frecency. I use them sometimes in a WM1A with e the balanced KK cord. I also have Z1R only because it’s more comfortable for me for the hours I hear music during work.
Thanks for your input.

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #4,379 of 5,804
New owner. Wow. Gob smacked from initial listen. Coming from the MEE P1 which served me well for a little more than two years. It wasn't until recent tours organized by @Barra with higher end Iems that I had a better idea of what I was missing. Running with my 901s w/mini gold box into a Nakamura NXT-2AK headphone conditioner which I found further flattens, extends and balances the z5 bringing5 the treble, mids, and bass more into line with each other. Further more the coherency with these are impressive. I typically lean more towards single DD but this has my ears believing. One thing I must say is despite numerous posts that claim poor/bad isolation I cannot relate after some tinkering. I at first tried my trusty spiral dots but those still let in enough where I just found myself needing more. To fix this I tried stuffing complys under the spiral dots much like the symbio. Isolation complete. Running balanced and a new sense of life has been breathed into my Sidney Beckett recording that simply wasn't there before. I'm very much looking forward to enjoying these. Perhaps may just do a review for the lolz. 20180125_153536.jpg 20180125_175717.jpg

Edit:
Isolation with music playing is acceptable. If not than I can have convos with my wife and kiddos and not have to take them off, bonus.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #4,380 of 5,804
New owner. Wow. Gob smacked from initial listen. Coming from the MEE P1 which served me well for a little more than two years. It wasn't until recent tours organized by @Barra with higher end Iems that I had a better idea of what I was missing. Running with my 901s w/mini gold box into a Nakamura NXT-2AK headphone conditioner which I found further flattens, extends and balances the z5 bringing5 the treble, mids, and bass more into line with each other. Further more the coherency with these are impressive. I typically lean more towards single DD but this has my ears believing. One thing I must say is despite numerous posts that claim poor/bad isolation I cannot relate after some tinkering. I at first tried my trusty spiral dots but those still let in enough where I just found myself needing more. To fix this I tried stuffing complys under the spiral dots much like the symbio. Isolation complete. Running balanced and a new sense of life has been breathed into my Sidney Beckett recording that simply wasn't there before. I'm very much looking forward to enjoying these. Perhaps may just do a review for the lolz.

Edit:
Isolation with music playing is acceptable. If not than I can have convos with my wife and kiddos and not have to take them off, bonus.
Congrats on the purchase and nice set up you got there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back