Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jan 7, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #4,352 of 5,804
In fact, it does not isolate much as compared to other IEMs, and probably not an ideal IEM for flight if you are looking for one to block noise.

It is also designed with the most of IEM located outside the ear when wearing it, thus you get wind noise when walking.

The sound is good, only when listen in quiet moments, which is not as useful.

I use it at home during quiet time, but have my SE846 for everything else and best fit for flight. Sound is comparable, but with most of the situation, my SE846 sounds better than my Z5.

Isolation and comfort is critical for an IEM, so test out before buying.

How bad is the isolation when used on the going?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #4,353 of 5,804
In fact, it does not isolate much as compared to other IEMs, and probably not an ideal IEM for flight if you are looking for one to block noise.

It is also designed with the most of IEM located outside the ear when wearing it, thus you get wind noise when walking.

The sound is good, only when listen in quiet moments, which is not as useful.

I use it at home during quiet time, but have my SE846 for everything else and best fit for flight. Sound is comparable, but with most of the situation, my SE846 sounds better than my Z5.

Isolation and comfort is critical for an IEM, so test out before buying.

Thanks!
Not for flight, but I use the IEMs mainly on the street, subway and at the office.

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #4,355 of 5,804
It won't isolate much in your uses listed below, but I guess this may benefit you as you probably need to take note of traffic and conversations in your uses?

Not really, I would like to isolate as much as possible.
I was very happy when I've got a very good seal from a full BA IEM, such as barely could hear the noise in the sub.
But I know I could not expect the same level here.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #4,356 of 5,804
If isolation is critical for you, doubt Z5 will provide enough of that. I think it is what I hope the next Z5 MkII (if there is one in plan) will improve on. I just could not get good sound from the Z5 when walking or on flight, and my noise cancelling B&O H3 sounds better than my Z5 in these environment. It is only when I am listening in quiet moments that the Z5 will shine. This kind of makes it rather useless since the IEM was probably better used in mobile, while I could use a headphone at home.

Some IEMs with better seal and isolation that I have tried are mainly BA IEM, such as Westone, Shure. The hybrid IEM that has better comfort and isolation with similar great bass is Aurisonic ASG2.5, but they are no longer in production. Probably could try their updated brand "Fender" series of IEM.

Not really, I would like to isolate as much as possible.
I was very happy when I've got a very good seal from a full BA IEM, such as barely could hear the noise in the sub.
But I know I could not expect the same level here.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #4,359 of 5,804
I already have Chord Mojo as my main dac/amp.
I don't know if I should use: (Z5+Chord Mojo), or sell Mojo and buy a dac/amp with balanced support.
I really love Chord Mojo sound tho :frowning2:...
I haven't heard Chord products up to now, however the NW-WM1A has this analogue sound i was always looking for in any DAP, sounds so damn real

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #4,360 of 5,804
Hi, can anyone please give me some comparison between the K3003i and the Sony XBA-Z5 and the ATH-E70 from Audio Technica if possible? I am having a chance to grab a very good deal at about the same price for either of them and I can only afford one :frowning2: (a second-hand k3003i, a discounted Z5 and a brand new pair of E70). Which one has more neutrality, clarity and balance? I am really obsessed with clarity and balance tbh.

Thanks, Ling.
Go with e70

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #4,361 of 5,804
Balanced output is overly marketed.

Some SE DAP and DAC sounds better than Balanced Output, and I think you should keep your Mojo if it is giving you the sound you like.

Enjoy!

I already have Chord Mojo as my main dac/amp.
I don't know if I should use: (Z5+Chord Mojo), or sell Mojo and buy a dac/amp with balanced support.
I really love Chord Mojo sound tho :frowning2:...

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #4,362 of 5,804
Balanced output is overly marketed.

Some SE DAP and DAC sounds better than Balanced Output, and I think you should keep your Mojo if it is giving you the sound you like.

Enjoy!

Balanced output is only overrated for those that did not do a serious A/B. The difference between running SE and balance on a PHA-2A and ZX300 is quite noticeable.

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #4,365 of 5,804
sorry I am still noob in audio terms, what A/B means?

Comparing the same content on the same headphone between SE and Balance output. Which usually means having to change the headphone cable from SE to balance. It's easier to do on a DAP/AMP that offers both. Comparing between different DAP will be more complicated as you're mostly dealing with different DAC chips and different manufacturer will aim for different sound signature. One of the most noticeable difference would be better separation, balance output also will be more powerful (on the same DAP/AMP) so will benefit headphone that need more power (like the Z5).

It's a long thread but there are a lot of comparison between the SE and Balance output on the Sony NW-ZX300 on this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx300.854693/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back