Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jan 28, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #4,381 of 5,804
I'm curious in regards to what other current owners of the xba z5 would say about its background in regards to running balanced. If anyone can give feedback in regards to source, cable type/material and track used.

A test I would like feedback with in particular is by Yasushi Yoshida off his album Little Grace. From the beginning I'm grabbed by what I'm hearing. I'm impressed most with coherency and in particular the background. No prior reviews touch on this and was curious about the current consensus.

Thanks ✌

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #4,382 of 5,804
Has anyone heard the Unique Melody Macbeth, Oriolus Forsteni or Azla 01R? These distracted me from buying the Z5 when I was in Japan last month. Is anyone able to compare any of these to the Z5 please.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #4,385 of 5,804
I love my set too, really considering the Z1R
Z5 is the best!
good.gif

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #4,386 of 5,804
Has anyone heard the Unique Melody Macbeth, Oriolus Forsteni or Azla 01R? These distracted me from buying the Z5 when I was in Japan last month. Is anyone able to compare any of these to the Z5 please.

While I would not hesitate to spend thousands on home audio gear (if you have a nice room setup). I won't spend that kind of money on portable gear. PHA-2A/ZX300 balance with Z5 is about perfect for me.

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #4,388 of 5,804
Can anyone connect me with or sell me sony xba z5 connectors for a custom cable job. I realize I can order from across seas in China, but of course now is not the best time.

Additionally does anyone know or is aware of they can repurpose the connectors from the official cables that come from with the z5?

Much appreciated all!

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #4,389 of 5,804
While I would not hesitate to spend thousands on home audio gear (if you have a nice room setup). I won't spend that kind of money on portable gear. PHA-2A/ZX300 balance with Z5 is about perfect for me.

Sorry, I don`t understand the meaning of your reply? He asked whether somebody has heard some other phones in the same price range of the the Z5?

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #4,390 of 5,804
Can anyone connect me with or sell me sony xba z5 connectors for a custom cable job. I realize I can order from across seas in China, but of course now is not the best time.

Additionally does anyone know or is aware of they can repurpose the connectors from the official cables that come from with the z5?

Much appreciated all!

You can order from Amazon Japan. They have a large selections

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Superbat-M...y&ie=UTF8&qid=1518486863&sr=1-1&keywords=MMCX

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #4,391 of 5,804

I thank you for taking the time to respond but those mmcx connectors you referred to don't appear to be of the same type as the proprietary sony xba z5 which are specific mmcx connectors that look just a tad different

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #4,392 of 5,804

Much appreciated all!

They do not have the locking taps that you see on the Sony cable. It's their own design and not available anywhere else. The ones shown in the link will work just fine except it won't lock the orientation. Sony stopped using the locking connector a while back, all their newer cable does not have the locking taps and they are all compatible with the Z5 ( I have all models of the new Sony cables).

P.S. Since none of these are sold by Amazon. Amazon most likely will not ship them out of Japan. You have to use a buying service like Buyee to get them but their fees are quite reasonable

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #4,393 of 5,804
You are correct with everything you just said and I make no argument against that. However, using general mmcx connectors that are not the type built like that for the z5 typically (read eventually) will result in failure with the connectors on the z5 themselves. From much reading around here it seems the consensus is that they will loosen and eventually break.

I wish to prevent this which is why I'm seeking those exact connectors or wish to know if anyone has tried reusing the official sony connectors from the cables that come provided with the sony xba z5.

Thank you for your time and insight @Wiz33

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #4,394 of 5,804
You are correct with everything you just said and I make no argument against that. However, using general mmcx connectors that are not the type built like that for the z5 typically (read eventually) will result in failure with the connectors on the z5 themselves. From much reading around here it seems the consensus is that they will loosen and eventually break.

I wish to prevent this which is why I'm seeking those exact connectors or wish to know if anyone has tried reusing the official sony connectors from the cables that come provided with the sony xba z5.

Thank you for your time and insight @Wiz33

Unless you're planning on removing the cable many many times. It's not something that I would worry about. It's the act of removing and inserting the connector that weaken the connection (which can be easily fixed by using a very fine tweezers to ply the outer ring back out a bit). Simply rotating the cable will not loosen the contact. The MMCX is nothing special, it's widely used as a RF connector on many electronic products and I deal with it all the time in my line of work.

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #4,395 of 5,804
@Wiz33. I appreciate your perspective. I wasn't too adamant about procuring this but felt I should do my due diligence to secure my investment. Perhaps I'll be patient knowing i don't plan on adding and removing cables, though to share a little. In am planning on doing a review and comparison in regards to two cables currently en route. The alo audio ref8 and the wagnus aenigma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back