Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Oct 20, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #4,293 of 5,804
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #4,294 of 5,804
I've still got my z5's, had them for 3 years and still amazed at how good they sound.

Just ordered the muc-m2bt1 Bluetooth receiver for convenience, hopefully I can use ldac when Android Oreo hits the Note 8

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #4,295 of 5,804
I've still got my z5's, had them for 3 years and still amazed at how good they sound.

Just ordered the muc-m2bt1 Bluetooth receiver for convenience, hopefully I can use ldac when Android Oreo hits the Note 8

You may find the MUC-M2BT1 a bit lacking in power to drive the Z5, I ended up using it to drive the XBA-N3 which is easier to drive and more compact to carry while you're on the go.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #4,296 of 5,804
You may find the MUC-M2BT1 a bit lacking in power to drive the Z5, I ended up using it to drive the XBA-N3 which is easier to drive and more compact to carry while you're on the go.

Ah right, unfortunately this is the only Bluetooth option I have, I'll give it ago and see what it's like, I used to have the original Bluetooth adapter Sony released and was happy with the sound, but yeah will know more once I've tested the new one.

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #4,298 of 5,804
My MUC balanced 4.4mm cables still doesn't arrive :D arrghhh Free shipping (but slow).

Sanding XBA-A3 won't be a too wise idea as they're plastic not metal like Z5

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #4,299 of 5,804
I got a nearly new set from @soundblast75 . The default Sony hybrid ear tips were a bit itchy so I swappd them for ear tips I got with some very high IEMs from HTC with the One M8. OMG it transformed the sound. Much better balance across frequencies. I'll see what happens when the Kimber balanced cable arrives next week. Using the Z5s with the Sony NW-Z300.

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #4,300 of 5,804
Nov 1, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #4,302 of 5,804
Nov 4, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #4,303 of 5,804
Ah right, unfortunately this is the only Bluetooth option I have, I'll give it ago and see what it's like, I used to have the original Bluetooth adapter Sony released and was happy with the sound, but yeah will know more once I've tested the new one.

Just a quick update to this, mine arrived last week and I have to say I'm very impressed, I haven't really noticed a difference in sound quality whilst using Spotify or even Tidal, I haven't tried high res tracks just yet so maybe there will be a difference?

Glad I made the investment as it's so much more convenient, now I can rest assured knowing I won't snap the headphone jack in my Note 8 lol.

I'm very interested to see how LDAC works when Oreo hits my phone.

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #4,304 of 5,804
Just a quick update to this, mine arrived last week and I have to say I'm very impressed, I haven't really noticed a difference in sound quality whilst using Spotify or even Tidal, I haven't tried high res tracks just yet so maybe there will be a difference?

Glad I made the investment as it's so much more convenient, now I can rest assured knowing I won't snap the headphone jack in my Note 8 lol.

I'm very interested to see how LDAC works when Oreo hits my phone.

The mostly noticeable is that the Bass is a bit muddy/loose as compared to running it wired on a good DAC/AMP. If you've been using it on a Note 8 wired, you're missing out on what the Z5 can really do. Smart phone just does not do the Z5 justice. I moved all my music onto a NW-A35 while i'm out and about, it's relatively cheap and you get LDAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back