Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Oct 11, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #4,278 of 5,804
That's not a bad idea. Know of anyone who can do the process for a price? I'd rather spend the money to have someone terminate it for a fee than me trying my hand. Btw the upgrade Sony cable has that fiber fill crud in it..

Check with your local computer/electronics repair shop, You can get the pin out diagram for the 2.5mm TRRS off the web and print out a copy for them. Just need someone with good hand soldering skills.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #4,279 of 5,804
That's not a bad idea. Know of anyone who can do the process for a price? I'd rather spend the money to have someone terminate it for a fee than me trying my hand. Btw the upgrade Sony cable has that fiber fill crud in it..
You can get the wide barrel Eidolic 2.5 or Oiyade plugs 2.5, those are simple enough to solder. Even the Astell Kern 2.5mm is not that bad, just small. After doing DIY for a while I realized the details are quite important. A lot of people can solder but there are specific ways of securing the plug with hot glue, shrink wrap, rubber stoppers and webbing that will keep your cable secure for years to come so make sure your electric shop knows about that.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #4,280 of 5,804

Not familiar with your location thus could not advise you. I won't do it myself too as not that good in skill.

In the past, I have always visited the same audio store who helped to create superb termination with a fee. Not a big concern on costs, but the hassle of setting appointment, waiting for job done over days or weeks depending on their other jobs on hand, and also realised that not all DAPs or audio devices uses the same balanced connectors - some 4.4mm, some 2.5mm, some 3.5mm TRRS, etc.

So I am now just a 3.5mm standard non-balanced users for all my IEMs. The slight improvement (if any at all) does not justify all the hassle and having a standard 3.5mm stereo plugs helps in multiple usages in phones, flights, DAPs, laptops.

Would rather spend on the better DAP which has superior SQ without balanced connection, and invest in good IEMs which sounds good either stereo or balanced.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #4,282 of 5,804
Is there a way to prevent/minimize discoloration of sony anodized stuff such as XBA-Z5?

I have a black aluminum sony VAIO FLIP PC and after 3 years of constant palm resting it shows discoloration in one area.... i don't want that to happen to my XBA-Z5. Maybe strong chemicals in my body oils / sweat?

EDIT i cleaned my XBA-Z5 and i noted both earbud shows a bit of discoloration, and the sony logo on the stems have faded, only seen because it is engraved with laser, same one of the "XBA-Z5" legends begins to fade, and at corner of the R earbud a bit of discoloration started to appear, same for left.

just one year of constant use, no drops whatsoever, always on their carrying case, just a few time son jeans pockets but nothing sharp other than my WM1A

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #4,283 of 5,804
Sony should paint them like Car paint with a laquer or so, or rather inject the colorant int to eh hot metal ot so

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #4,284 of 5,804
Just polish it after a while, IMO looks even better.
21374B66-B001-4420-8EB5-3F0FF851F8BA.jpeg

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #4,285 of 5,804
Cool haha if sony had sold them in plain silvery color, they do look even cooler like that, I won't sell them because the paint discolor, they sound great

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #4,287 of 5,804

Users who are viewing this thread

Back