Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Nov 25, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #3,781 of 5,804
I have the z5 and the 2000j I was wondering if the ie800 is an upgrade or not worth it.

I have/had all three and I really, really like the IE800. It's my #1 at the moment because I find it so comfortable to wear and the sound quality is perfect for me. Less bass quantity than the Z5, but I personally think it does everything better. Fit can be an issue for some with a very limited tip selection, but for the deal I got on the Amazon Warehouse Deals site I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I love my Z5, but IE800 wins for me. 

As for against the 2000J, I loved those as well, but not nearly enough bass for me and the treble was too hard to tame. Excellent resolution and clarity, but I just didn't love them when I listened to them. 

-Collin-

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #3,782 of 5,804
I have/had all three and I really, really like the IE800. It's my #1 at the moment because I find it so comfortable to wear and the sound quality is perfect for me. Less bass quantity than the Z5, but I personally think it does everything better. Fit can be an issue for some with a very limited tip selection, but for the deal I got on the Amazon Warehouse Deals site I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I love my Z5, but IE800 wins for me. 

As for against the 2000J, I loved those as well, but not nearly enough bass for me and the treble was too hard to tame. Excellent resolution and clarity, but I just didn't love them when I listened to them. 

-Collin-

+1 for comfort,

I have other good iems, but these win in plug & play, aren't picky on fit, weigh nothing, and give a beastly sound. :)

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #3,783 of 5,804
+1 for comfort,

I have other good iems, but these win in plug & play, aren't picky on fit, weigh nothing, and give a beastly sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

100% agree. Now that I got the LG V20, I am in heaven with this rig. No amps/dacs to carry and sound quality is insanely good. But since this is the Z5 thread, I still will say that I love my Z5 and always will haha. 

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #3,784 of 5,804

-Collin-

Well...for me, the sound was a big disappointment.
I found it dry, with recessed midrange, lacking some weight and lushness, hence not so musical. Also, the highs were tizzy, boosted too much and fatiguing. 
Indeed, they have a lot of details and clarity, are very easy to drive, good fit, very light and confortable.

If you like the IE800 so much, there are big chances to like the Velvet even more, at least that's what many users of those two were saying.

For me, some opinions that the Velvet will be very similar with the IE800, kept me away from the Velvet.

I'm curious what source are you using with IE800.
I've used them with a Sony A15, Fiio X3 and Fiio X5 2nd gen. but no big differences.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #3,785 of 5,804
Well...for me, the sound was a big disappointment.
I found it dry, with recessed midrange, lacking some weight and lushness, hence not so musical. Also, the highs were tizzy, boosted too much and fatiguing. 
Indeed, they have a lot of details and clarity, are very easy to drive, good fit, very light and confortable.

If you like the IE800 so much, there are big chances to like the Velvet even more, at least that's what many users of those two were saying.

For me, some opinions that the Velvet will be very similar with the IE800, kept me away from the Velvet.

I'm curious what source are you using with IE800.
I've used them with a Sony A15, Fiio X3 and Fiio X5 2nd gen. but no big differences.

Interesting on the IE800. You definitely are not the first person to have those thoughts. It seems to be a very hit or miss IEM for some people. I love the sound of it personally. My sources are my V20 and sometimes my Chord Mojo for IEMs. I'm using the Mojo less and less now due to the phone, but the IE800 sound great out of either device for me. 

Excited to get the Velvet next week :)

-Collin-

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #3,786 of 5,804
Interesting on the IE800. You definitely are not the first person to have those thoughts. It seems to be a very hit or miss IEM for some people. I love the sound of it personally. My sources are my V20 and sometimes my Chord Mojo for IEMs. I'm using the Mojo less and less now due to the phone, but the IE800 sound great out of either device for me. 

Excited to get the Velvet next week :)

-Collin-

As I said, they are very detailed and clear, airy, and the bass is very well controlled but I really didn't like the dry sound and the highs and for that price I had much higher expectations. Not to mention the non-removable cable and microphonics.
What kind of music do you listen to mostly with IE800?

I saw you've pulled the trigger for the Velvet :) 
I'll be very interested in your comparison between the two.

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #3,787 of 5,804
IEMs and headphones provide the most obvious improvement in sound quality, and makes sense to invest in them. Still curious on people investing much more on DAP when most of us would not hear any differences in the DAPs when doing blind tests. Worst case - some invest in cables made of metals not from earth (at least the price) costing more than the IEMs when it is proven that there is no difference in sound quality.

Thus, if you leave out DAPs and cables in your equation and put your funds together, you can get a big improvements in sound quality just purely from top-end IEMs/Headphones (hint: Not Sony XBA-Z5)  and listening through your iPhone or Android phones.

i agree on this and im curious as to why most reviewers reviewing something like for example an earphone, thet would pair it with high end daps. same with cheap earphones thet would pair it with cheap daps alps. well not most of us here can have both.. i hope maybe nxt time they can include common daps or a smartphone to pair with whether a cheap or a high end earphone to review with.. hehe

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #3,788 of 5,804
Big fan of Z5 and they are my day to day IEMs. Lovely all-round sound, best sub-bass I've ever heard, excellent highs - sparkly and extended but never harsh. Main faults: slightly recessed mids and overly-emphasised bass.

I have IE800 as well. One extra notch of clarity, lovely mids and extremly competent highs albeit it can be a tad too much at times. Fit is so and so for me, despite their miniature size.

Neither is trully linear but to my ears IE800 is closer to this ideal.

Long story short, both unique IEMs and both worth keeping as far as I am concerned.

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #3,790 of 5,804
As much as I love the Z5 sound, I would probably take the IE800 9/10 times due to its amazing isolation.

The Z5 is simply unusable in any environment other than inside the quiet bedroom lol.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #3,791 of 5,804
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33vUYS4CIUs&utm_source=Subscribers&utm_campaign=760c645985-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_11_27&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1556409f6c-760c645985-30519381&ct=t(Capri_W90011_29_2016)&mc_cid=760c645985&mc_eid=7eb79542c8

Hope this will be the ultimate portable solution for iPhone users :D any suggestions for ear tips? 

Another thing is I just got the Apogee Groove and the Z5 sounds wonderful with it!!! Apogee does not recommend the Groove to feed IEMs with balanced amarture drivers but my Z5 works so fine with it. Did anyone have the same impression?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back