Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Dec 5, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #3,797 of 5,805
As I said, they are very detailed and clear, airy, and the bass is very well controlled but I really didn't like the dry sound and the highs and for that price I had much higher expectations. Not to mention the non-removable cable and microphonics.
What kind of music do you listen to mostly with IE800?

I saw you've pulled the trigger for the Velvet
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be very interested in your comparison between the two.

Wanted to circle back and let you know that I posted a review for the Velvets. I think you may prefer them over the IE800. I, however, find them neck and neck and it will take me 50 years to determine a winner 
smily_headphones1.gif

Still loving my Z5! 

-Collin-

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #3,798 of 5,805

Wanted to circle back and let you know that I posted a review for the Velvets. I think you may prefer them over the IE800. I, however, find them neck and neck and it will take me 50 years to determine a winner 
smily_headphones1.gif

Still loving my Z5! 

-Collin-

what kind of headphones you can compare them? and what are the best?

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #3,800 of 5,805
Wanted to circle back and let you know that I posted a review for the Velvets. I think you may prefer them over the IE800. I, however, find them neck and neck and it will take me 50 years to determine a winner :)

Still loving my Z5! 

-Collin-

Thanks, I've just read it, interesting review.
But if the Velvet are similar to the IE800, I don't think I will be too happy :)
Haven't you found the midrange too thin for rock?

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #3,801 of 5,805
Thanks, I've just read it, interesting review.
But if the Velvet are similar to the IE800, I don't think I will be too happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Haven't you found the midrange too thin for rock?

They sound fairly different from the IE800 for me, but I meant that I have a hard time choosing because I love them both. Pretty different IEMs. 

Mid range too thin for rock? I will do some more listening and get a better feel for that. Didn't hear anything like that, but let me give a more serious listen this time around. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #3,802 of 5,805
They sound fairly different from the IE800 for me, but I meant that I have a hard time choosing because I love them both. Pretty different IEMs. 

Mid range too thin for rock? I will do some more listening and get a better feel for that. Didn't hear anything like that, but let me give a more serious listen this time around. 

They sound fairly different in what way?
Can you give some more details of what exactly does that suppose, in terms of sound?

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #3,803 of 5,805
They sound fairly different in what way?
Can you give some more details of what exactly does that suppose, in terms of sound?

The IE800 sounds more V-shaped with slightly recessed mids and more pronounced treble. The Velvet is warmer with more mid-bass, more forward mids and a tad smoother treble. The Z5 is darker than them both. Does this help? Feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

-Collin-

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #3,804 of 5,805
The IE800 sounds more V-shaped with slightly recessed mids and more pronounced treble. The Velvet is warmer with more mid-bass, more forward mids and a tad smoother treble. The Z5 is darker than them both. Does this help? Feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

-Collin-

That sounds good, I felt the need for more mid-bass with IE800.
I'll PM you for more details.

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #3,805 of 5,805
Can't decide which amp/dac to pick, now i have pha-1a(but still want something more), and i choosing between pha-3 and chord mojo. 

Thoughts about mojo.
1. Very portable+ fits well in my old 846 case with z5 stock case inside it.
2. Simple trs jack support.
3. Stupid buttons with annoying backlight.

PHA-3
1. Good approved balanced combo with Z5.
2. Necessity of replacement of the cable to connect Z5s to simple casual sources like smartphone. 
3. More stringent desigh with a sense of thing.

Dac will be used stationary connect to the pc with toslink or usb 85% of time.
I have not listened them yet, but i have a opportunity to compare them face-to-face in one of the local shops. Purchasing decisions will probably be made after comparing them, but someone has the same experience of choosing between them? Or any other thoughts. Will pha-3 balanced output outperform dacless fpga thing in mojo? Thanks.

Dec 7, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #3,806 of 5,805
  Can't decide which amp/dac to pick, now i have pha-1a(but still want something more), and i choosing between pha-3 and chord mojo. 

Thoughts about mojo.
1. Very portable+ fits well in my old 846 case with z5 stock case inside it.
2. Simple trs jack support.
3. Stupid buttons with annoying backlight.

PHA-3
1. Good approved balanced combo with Z5.
2. Necessity of replacement of the cable to connect Z5s to simple casual sources like smartphone. 
3. More stringent desigh with a sense of thing.

Dac will be used stationary connect to the pc with toslink or usb 85% of time.
I have not listened them yet, but i have a opportunity to compare them face-to-face in one of the local shops. Purchasing decisions will probably be made after comparing them, but someone has the same experience of choosing between them? Or any other thoughts. Will pha-3 balanced output outperform dacless fpga thing in mojo? Thanks.

I would like to contest point number three on the Mojo: I love those buttons! 
beerchug.gif

I have never used the PHA-3, but I really love the Mojo with the Z5. I think it will give a fairly significant boost in the power being delivered to your Z5s over the PHA1. Not that the PHA1 is lacking, but, the Mojo is just an outstanding piece of kit (as the Brits say). I love mine and it pairs very well.

Wish I could offer more, but, just wanted to chime in from a happy Mojo/Z5 user here.

-Collin- 

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #3,808 of 5,805
I would like to contest point number three on the Mojo: I love those buttons! :beerchug:

I have never used the PHA-3, but I really love the Mojo with the Z5. I think it will give a fairly significant boost in the power being delivered to your Z5s over the PHA1. Not that the PHA1 is lacking, but, the Mojo is just an outstanding piece of kit (as the Brits say). I love mine and it pairs very well.

Wish I could offer more, but, just wanted to chime in from a happy Mojo/Z5 user here.

-Collin- 

Just read and enjoyed your Pinnacle P1 review. Can you give more details regarding the Z5 vs P1 comparison? Many IEMs come and go but the z5 still stays strong so I am very curious :D Thanks, Ling.

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #3,809 of 5,805
Just read and enjoyed your Pinnacle P1 review. Can you give more details regarding the Z5 vs P1 comparison? Many IEMs come and go but the z5 still stays strong so I am very curious
biggrin.gif
Thanks, Ling.

Hi Ling. Well, they're pretty different IEMs for me. Where the P1 is balanced, neutral and very comfortable, the Z5 is not. I love the sound of the Z5, but it's quite different. The bass is on another level in quantity from the Z5 and the Z5 has quite a V-shaped sound signature to me, though the highs are not as exaggerated as the bass. Don't get me wrong, I love the bass on the Z5, but I do not think they're as refined as the P1 (which is pretty remarkable given the price tags of both). I get annoyed easily with how large and obtrusive the Z5 is, but I keep them because I love the sound quality. 

That probably didn't answer your question. Are you considering getting the P1s? Maybe the fact that they're so different from the Z5 is a good reason to own both 
smily_headphones1.gif

-Collin-

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #3,810 of 5,805
Hi Ling. Well, they're pretty different IEMs for me. Where the P1 is balanced, neutral and very comfortable, the Z5 is not. I love the sound of the Z5, but it's quite different. The bass is on another level in quantity from the Z5 and the Z5 has quite a V-shaped sound signature to me, though the highs are not as exaggerated as the bass. Don't get me wrong, I love the bass on the Z5, but I do not think they're as refined as the P1 (which is pretty remarkable given the price tags of both). I get annoyed easily with how large and obtrusive the Z5 is, but I keep them because I love the sound quality. 

That probably didn't answer your question. Are you considering getting the P1s? Maybe the fact that they're so different from the Z5 is a good reason to own both :)

-Collin-

Thanks much Collin, guess I have to join the basshead club as never have I felt the bass on the Z5 'too much' or dominating mids and trebles like many have claimed (dark and bass heavy) :D

But yeah I do seek for clarity, refinement, balance and neutrality just like most of us here (the terms of 'balance' and neutral are obviously subjective and controversial). Thus the overall consensus regarding these characteristics of the P1 make it so tempting. Maybe later as I am waiting for my new Audio Technica E70 to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back