Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Nov 17, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #3,766 of 5,805
IEMs and headphones provide the most obvious improvement in sound quality, and makes sense to invest in them. Still curious on people investing much more on DAP when most of us would not hear any differences in the DAPs when doing blind tests. Worst case - some invest in cables made of metals not from earth (at least the price) costing more than the IEMs when it is proven that there is no difference in sound quality.

Thus, if you leave out DAPs and cables in your equation and put your funds together, you can get a big improvements in sound quality just purely from top-end IEMs/Headphones (hint: Not Sony XBA-Z5)  and listening through your iPhone or Android phones.

Chicken and egg case for me ! The top items and headphones deserve more than just your iPhone or android.. I agree too about daps but I definitely need a good dac or amplifier that makes a world of a diff and brings about the best in the top iems or headphone .. still the more u spend the bigger the hole.

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #3,767 of 5,805
Chicken and egg case for me ! The top items and headphones deserve more than just your iPhone or android.. I agree too about daps but I definitely need a good dac or amplifier that makes a world of a diff and brings about the best in the top iems or headphone .. still the more u spend the bigger the hole.

I do agree i prefer to use a stand-alone Hi-end DAP with no stack than a phone

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #3,768 of 5,805
Yes, it is an expensive hobby. If you can afford, you can buy the best IEM matched with the most expensive DAP. However, as you go deeper into this, you will realise that only the IEMs give real discernible difference in sound, and most DAP sounds about the same, and most users can't decipher consistently which is which in a proper blind test.

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #3,769 of 5,805
@cuiter23 I agree with your post. I have several IEMS I grab before the Z5s, including both lesser Sony models. They are really good IEMS, that's for sure, but I feel there are many better IEMS out there.

Which way did you go? Do you have a direct replacement for your Z5?

I currently use my Noble 3C and EE Spartan IV via 2.5mm balanced. They isolate much better and are so much more comfortable (CIEMs ftw lol).

Sound quality-wise I think they are all comparable. The Spartan IV I would say is the most technically capable. The Z5 sounds a bit slow and congested sometimes compared to the 2. However, the Z5 has this sense of musicality and richness which is incomparable. 

I'm picking up a pair of UERR soon. But I highly doubt it can surpass my current rotation of IEMs.

Bạn gái anh không có thích tai nghe đâu :)) OK hy vọng sẽ có dịp gặp em ở VN :wink:

Hi, I just saw your post in the W50 thread, how do you find the sound of the W50s in comparison to the Z5?

Z5 wins hands down.

Does the new iBasso IT03 come any closer to Sony Z5 in any aspect?

Haven't heard the IT03 but highly doubt it.

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #3,771 of 5,805
  Does the new iBasso IT03 come any closer to Sony Z5 in any aspect?

They may both be 1DDx2BA hybrids, but they are tuned differently. the IT03s are more neutral with more controlled low end. Z5s are smoother. IT03s have more sparkle.  IT03 is much more comfortable and much better isolating despite having 2 ports. That is all im comfortable saying at the moment without doing a full comparison. The IT03 is no slouch and I really think it gives the Z5 a run for its money. Which ones are getting more head time atm? IT03.

(using IT03 with Litz Type-6 cable and using Z5 with sony muc m12sm1 upgrade cable)

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #3,773 of 5,805

I think this may be the ultimate vacation combination. Really loving my Z5 with the MEE Audio P1 cable - much less annoying than the memory wire they came with. I know it's all personal preference, but for stationary listening I am absolutely loving this. I have probably ten pairs of IEMs, but every time I put on the Z5, I get a smile on my face from that bass. Wonderful. 

-Collin-

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #3,774 of 5,805

I think this may be the ultimate vacation combination. Really loving my Z5 with the MEE Audio P1 cable - much less annoying than the memory wire they came with. I know it's all personal preference, but for stationary listening I am absolutely loving this. I have probably ten pairs of IEMs, but every time I put on the Z5, I get a smile on my face from that bass. Wonderful. 

-Collin-

the guy, the cable is not as cool as mine.

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #3,777 of 5,805
[COLOR=111111]if you will be interesting my cable "separately" then just write me PM.[/COLOR]

What cable do you use Gosod? Saw you posted in the UM Pro thread too and said you prefer the z5. Actually I was looking for the UM Pro 50 as I expect it was an upgrade for the great z5. Can you give a more detailed comparison?

@cuiter23 thanks for the confirmation, I am putting the w50 on sale already.

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #3,778 of 5,805
What cable do you use Gosod? Saw you posted in the UM Pro thread too and said you prefer the z5. Actually I was looking for the UM Pro 50 as I expect it was an upgrade for the great z5. Can you give a more detailed comparison?

I use the cable that I profile in the subject of the sale z5.

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #3,779 of 5,805

if you will be interesting my cable "separately" then just write me PM.

i used to own sony upgrade cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back