Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
May 8, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #3,047 of 5,810
the sale for my z5 did not get through waited too long from potential buyer to pay, so the xba z5 is back in my arsenal of iems

May 8, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #3,048 of 5,810
Hello everyone, I own the sony zx2 and I used it with my jhaudio angie, well I felt I did not get what I am after, which is good dynamics and bass.

Since I own the zx2 do you guys recommend me buying the sony z5

I listen to electronic music mostly

Cheers

May 8, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #3,049 of 5,810
  Hello everyone, I own the sony zx2 and I used it with my jhaudio angie, well I felt I did not get what I am after, which is good dynamics and bass.

Since I own the zx2 do you guys recommend me buying the sony z5

I listen to electronic music mostly

Cheers

Even if you turn the bass of angie to max, still cannot satisfy you?

May 8, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #3,051 of 5,810
Unfortunately I don't own the Angie so can't really say. But I do find the Z5 to be one heck of an IEM and I think it would be awesome for electronic music.

May 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #3,052 of 5,810
Mr Nice, have you tried paring the z2 with the fiio e12 for added power and to boost the bass? I have the Z2 and the z5 iems and they both sound pretty strong. The fiio e12 amp is cheap and powerful. It will change the sound signature just a tad but worth the sound overall. Sony zx2 is warm sound with soft punches but one beautiful sounding enjoyable piece of equipment. The AK120ii punches much harder on mid bass, mids, and treble region. The AK 120ii are not neutral but sound just as great but has a brighter signature. I have to say I enjoy the softer sound of my sony zx2-wit the z5 iems.

May 8, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #3,053 of 5,810

The Z5's are great, but have you actually listened to the A3? Besides being made of plastic ( Still very well made may I add ), it's almost identical sounding. Z5 has a little tighter base and a bit more subdued Treble. I have both but only because I got the Z5's for $450 brand new and $175 for A3's also brand new.

Hi,

I just want to ask that can you show me where to buy the A3 with 200 usd. Thank you.

May 8, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #3,054 of 5,810
  when it comes to portable audio I refuse to use anything that would overly compromise the portability due to size. It doesn't matter how good it sounds if I can't actually take it with me so I can enjoy it. PHA-3 probably sounds sublime so would be great for my home desktop setup but not for on the road. I say stick with the A1 or check into the Pono which would allow you to use your balanced cable on the Z5 and also doubles the wattage output so in effect is like have an added amp with you.

I may look at the PHA-3 more myself though but as a replacement for my desktop DAC.

Well well, I was getting a good deal on the PHA 3 so I caved in and got it. What a world of difference it makes on the Z7 and Z5. Mind blown, absolutely! 

May 8, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #3,055 of 5,810
Well well, I was getting a good deal on the PHA 3 so I caved in and got it. What a world of difference it makes on the Z7 and Z5. Mind blown, absolutely! 
did you ever have a chance to try them with a Pono? Just curious what the difference is. If it offers as good as the Pono (hopefully better) and that amazing imaging and detail it would be a end game DAC for me.

May 9, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #3,056 of 5,810
did you ever have a chance to try them with a Pono? Just curious what the difference is. If it offers as good as the Pono (hopefully better) and that amazing imaging and detail it would be a end game DAC for me.
Unfortunately not. The Pono is hard to come by here in Singapore but Sonys are all around and the service is good so tend to go for the Sonys. I'm in another world though. If only they had made the PHA-3 slightly more portable.

May 9, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #3,057 of 5,810
OK good to know you like the PHA-3 so much anyway :). I am tempted to buy one but at $900 to $1000 here in Canada that is a massive purchase...

May 9, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #3,058 of 5,810
Hi,

I just want to ask that can you show me where to buy the A3 with 200 usd. Thank you.

Got lucky on both times on EBay. Made an offer and the seller accepted.

May 10, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #3,060 of 5,810

Yaa, I just found out that it is so hard to find a used Sony XBA Z5 or even A3. If anyone here want to sell please pm me :). Thanks

my sony xba z5 is up for sale check the buy and sell forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back