Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Dec 9, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #2,686 of 5,810
If you like the bass quantity/quality + imaging on the Z5 I don't see anyway else to go but full size headphones e.g Hd650s 

I tried a ton of iems at the London canjam and no iem came close..hmm save the aurisonics model (forget which one but it's the new line-up's bassiest model) 
but that sounded like a cheaper iem but v v good for £250 

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #2,687 of 5,810
In a previous post, I said that I thought the sony upgrade cable didn't feel like a upgrade and I said that the opinion might change after a few weeks with it.

So after using it for a month back and forth. (I really don't like pulling these connectors all the time..they don't give me the confidence that it should be done a hundred times for some reason.)

Anyway .. after a month with them. I like the new cable a lot especially comfort wise. I never used to take the sonys out for a walk but the new cables are much less cumbersome. Sound wise, it's a more solid sound all round. The bass is definitely more. Everything just feels to have more substance now.

gosh I love these Z5s. I reckon if you only want one pair of really good iems or headphones, these are the ones to get for sure. 
I like my shure 846 too but the Z5 have such an 360 degree wide sound it's just very addictive. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #2,688 of 5,810
Hello folks

I've been using the Z5 for 2 weeks, with the MUC-M12SM1 cable. And i have serious doubts about them...

To be concrete, i´m not really satisfied with the highs or treble. I also have the Yamaha EPH-100 and the Sony MDR-1RNC. Those sond brighter than the Z5, at the same volume and EQ. Resuming, with the other two, i can hear some reverberances that i cant hear with the Z5...., is that possible?

Im really planning to sell them...

I use a Fiio X3.

Thanks

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #2,689 of 5,810
  Hello folks

I've been using the Z5 for 2 weeks, with the MUC-M12SM1 cable. And i have serious doubts about them...

To be concrete, i´m not really satisfied with the highs or treble. I also have the Yamaha EPH-100 and the Sony MDR-1RNC. Those sond brighter than the Z5, at the same volume and EQ. Resuming, with the other two, i can hear some reverberances that i cant hear with the Z5...., is that possible?

I use a Fiio X3.

Thanks

You may not like the sound, they are not for everyone. The Z5 is technically far superior than the EPH-100 (won't talk about over ear because they are not comparable.) The imaging, soundstage, and airyness of the Z5 is it's strength, it does have a dark and bassy signature but I don't feel it lacks anything, in fact I feel the treble to be very well extended but controlled at the same time, making it sound realistic and not artificial like the Yamaha. I've listened to my friend's EPH-100 many times and they are thoroughly enjoyable for $100, but no where close to the Z5. If you like the EPH-100 you may enjoy the A3 even more, they are much superior than the EPH-100. 

The X3 is quite a warm sounding player as well that may contribute to the lack of sparkle but I don't imagine that's the underlying reason. If the EPH-100 is better in your opinion then might as well put another couple hundred bucks back in your pocket.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #2,690 of 5,810

You may not like the sound, they are not for everyone. The Z5 is technically far superior than the EPH-100 (won't talk about over ear because they are not comparable.) The imaging, soundstage, and airyness of the Z5 is it's strength, it does have a dark and bassy signature but I don't feel it lacks anything, in fact I feel the treble to be very well extended but controlled at the same time, making it sound realistic and not artificial like the Yamaha. I've listened to my friend's EPH-100 many times and they are thoroughly enjoyable for $100, but no where close to the Z5. If you like the EPH-100 you may enjoy the A3 even more, they are much superior than the EPH-100. 

The X3 is quite a warm sounding player as well that may contribute to the lack of sparkle but I don't imagine that's the underlying reason. If the EPH-100 is better in your opinion then might as well put another couple hundred bucks back in your pocket.

I understand what you say. And i agree: Bass is killer. Now im using a DAC Amp, the Sound Blaster E5, connected to my PC, testing both IEms.

And i hear the voices much more on the front when i use the Yamaha, and brighter. The Z5 sound more opaque...., but i don't know if this is good or bad...

:frowning2:

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #2,691 of 5,810
Hello folks

I've been using the Z5 for 2 weeks, with the [COLOR=6A6A6A]MUC[/COLOR][COLOR=545454]-M12SM1 cable. And i have serious doubts about them...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=545454]To be concrete, i´m not really satisfied with the highs or treble. I also have the Yamaha EPH-100 and the Sony MDR-1RNC. Those sond brighter than the Z5, at the same volume and EQ. Resuming, with the other two, i can hear some reverberances that i cant hear with the Z5...., is that possible?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=545454]Im really planning to sell them...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=545454]I use a Fiio X3.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=545454]Thanks[/COLOR]
Z5 needs an amp to get the highs and it needs 150 hrs to burn in.

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #2,693 of 5,810
Everybody use an amp with the Z5??
I have X3 and with the Z5 it will have bass but mids and treble are recessed but once I added an amp power the mids and treble were pushed forwards. The A3 doesnt need an amp.

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #2,695 of 5,810
Dec 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #2,697 of 5,810
Pono...

Balanced mode = nirvana

No amps needed just the Pono and the Z5 balanced cable.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #2,699 of 5,810
  Hello folks

I use a Fiio X3.

Thanks

I have the MDR-1R and i find they sound pretty bright compared to the A3... i like more the sound of the A3, seems the same clarity and details of the 1R but being fuller in sound, (1R lacks some bass)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back